( search forums )
SPAS technique
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
F3nyx
January 23, 2005, 4:04 am
One of the SPAS-12's major advantages is that you can fire at any point during reloading -- if necessary, you can just put one shell into the empty magazine and fire it immediately. However, this method has a major problem -- the gun can't be aimed when fired this way, and the shot always goes slightly above horizontal. Unless at very close range, you'll likely miss your opponent.

There is, however, a way to accurately fire in the middle of a reload. You may have noticed that any weapon reload pauses while you're throwing a grenade. In the case of the SPAS, the reload stops and doesn't start again until you press reload (or until the magazine goes empty). You don't even have to throw a grenade; all you have to do is tap the grenade button. Your reload will pause, and you'll be able to fire an accurate shot immediately.

It takes a while to develop this reflex, but I think it's a valuable one for any shotgun user. Discuss -- Had you already discovered this trick on your own? Does it help in combat? Do people claim you're haxing or laming when they see well-aimed reload shots?

BManx2000
January 23, 2005, 4:18 am
This trick existed even before you could fire in mid-reload like you can now.

F3nyx
January 23, 2005, 4:24 am
Really? I only noticed this around version 1.15, so I didn't know about that bit.

Michal
January 23, 2005, 5:15 am
Hmm... I never noticed this before, might come in handy...

Keron Cyst
January 23, 2005, 5:19 am
quote:Originally posted by Michal... I never noticed this before, might come in handy...

Explosives
January 23, 2005, 5:21 am
Why not just use the change weapon key instead and not waste a grenade?

Teh Panda
January 23, 2005, 6:44 am
Here in Finland we say: Wanha! ;p

Chakra
January 23, 2005, 7:02 am
That ain't a bad idea Fenyx. I'll definitely remember that.

Leo Da Lunerfox
January 23, 2005, 8:18 am
I give you good praise for telling that to us, good job.

IDF-RIPsta
January 23, 2005, 8:20 am
Why should we develop a reflex for something that is a bug?

There is no reason why the Spas shot should go all over the place. Even when corrected it doesn't make the Spas an overpowered weapon.

ThaD
January 23, 2005, 10:22 am
>> Do people claim you're haxing or laming when they see well-aimed reload shots?

you mean Spas shots? Most people (noobs) have no idea this weapon even exists...Besides it's quite hard to see the difference between "reloaded" shot and let's call it "not reloaded" one; i'm not even sure there is any.

IDF-RIPsta
January 23, 2005, 10:50 am
The Spas is definitely one of the most underestimated weapons in the game.

BManx2000
January 23, 2005, 4:25 pm
quote:Originally posted by ExplosivesWhy not just use the change weapon key instead and not waste a grenade?

If you tap the nade key quickly, you don't throw a grenade.

STEELIX
January 23, 2005, 4:45 pm
Don't know.. it'll definately take some time to develop this 'reflex' indeed.

Spectral
January 23, 2005, 4:54 pm
this is sometimes annoying, as when I want the spas to fully reload and I throw a nade and accidently disrupt it.

Melba
January 23, 2005, 8:34 pm
I played this guy who was using m79 and LAW. he shot once with his m79 and twice with LAW.
i asked him to stop using the LAW bug, as it's unfair.
Apparently he didnt know what i was talking about, he insisted he didnt "cheat"
note: this guy was above average good, but still he didn't see my point of view.

anyone care to explain me what he was doing, since he insisted he wasnt exploiting the LAW bug.

Marine
January 23, 2005, 11:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by IDF-RIPstaThe Spas is definitely one of the most underestimated weapons in the game.

So true.

But nice one, I'll be sure to try this.

And the only reason people don't whine and moan about SPAS 1-2 hit kill is because so few people use it....

SPAS is definitely underrated.

Deleted User
January 24, 2005, 12:08 am
theres actually more thing you can do, while the spas is reloading if you roll(this would only work while your standing not flying), the spas stops reloading and you can fire accurutely...

One way to use this trick while flying is quickly going into a prone mode and back(while in teh air) this would also stop the spas from relaoding...

also like stated above you can change weapon. :0

Spectral
January 24, 2005, 4:00 am
well I believe I've seen LAWs that have involuntarily shot 2 bullets, a bug where I think one is an illusion...not sure.

SPARTAN_III
January 24, 2005, 6:46 am
dont underestimate the shotgun. i use it. thx fenix!

IDF-RIPsta
January 24, 2005, 7:14 am
F3nyx,

Since you brought it up, why don't you open a thread on the "Report Bugs" section of this forum, and suggest that they fix it?

Melba
January 24, 2005, 5:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by Spectralwell I believe I've seen LAWs that have involuntarily shot 2 bullets, a bug where I think one is an illusion...not sure.

Spec, the second one definately hit its target.

Ranis
January 25, 2005, 5:50 am
I think the Spas is underrated too but I usally only use two guns, spas and aug, it depends on what type of map it is, open or close quarters.

MakroX
January 25, 2005, 6:36 pm
spas is fun, i feel like in house of the dead killing ugly zombies =)
and yep, its awesome.. kinda hard to learn its aiming thing since its close range but it kick ass.
i already knew that nade trick, and also the pushing shots.. like m79, u can speed up shooting at ur back while jumping to push urself. or like shooting at others to push them =P
if i get aim with this, ill sure kick some ugly b*tt :D

lieroguy
January 25, 2005, 6:53 pm
I use the LAW frequently, and people keep telling me, "Don't abuse the LAW bug.", when in reality I know i'm just shooting one rocket. I don't know why they think I am abusing the LAW. So, I honestly think that the majority of the time, or perhaps all of the time, it's just lag-induced craziness.

Spectral
January 26, 2005, 12:12 am
ahh well lag melba :P

Morik
January 26, 2005, 12:32 am
spaz is a very good weapon, and i really dont see alot of them. I usually see m79's or deagles mostly, sometimes hk's. But about every other day i see a spaz.

Jaz
January 26, 2005, 1:11 am
I allways wondered why good players threw nades and spas shots at the same time, now I know...

Famine
January 26, 2005, 1:51 am
quote:Why not just use the change weapon key instead and not waste a grenade?

It almost corners your opponent

MOFO NOFO
January 26, 2005, 9:29 pm
i never knew this o.O

Wally
January 27, 2005, 1:57 am
I've used this before. I don't see why this would be considered that much of a bug, because if you don't do it, firing mid-load is almost useless.

F3nyx
January 27, 2005, 4:13 am
quote:Why should we develop a reflex for something that is a bug?

Since you brought it up, why don't you open a thread on the "Report Bugs" section of this forum, and suggest that they fix it?I don't think it is really a bug. Stopping a SPAS reload is definitely part of the game, as it's done when you fire, or throw a grenade, or roll or go prone (as Poop mentioned below -- thanks!). It would be nice to have a direct way of stopping reload, such as hitting the reload key again, but I don't think this method would be considered an exploit.

STEELIX
January 27, 2005, 1:22 pm
Indeed... now that ya mention it, I rarely see any other players use spas, and if they do use it, I usually beat them within seconds...

lieroguy
January 27, 2005, 3:26 pm
That's because it's so incredinly hard to aim. It's drop and low speed gives it a very short maximum effective range, and the dark pellets make it difficult to see and trace your shots. You've got to get two direct hits on a guy to kill him, and if he's hiding back to use his ruger or something, you're screwed.

STEELIX
January 27, 2005, 6:27 pm
yup, that's all true... though I've changed the bullet color to a better visible color. Is that a lame thing to do by the way?

Michal
January 27, 2005, 8:42 pm
I changed the spas bullets to single black pixels, looks cool but is hard to aim :P

Icarius
January 28, 2005, 6:34 am
/me invented everything there is to do with the Spas, all that you see and witness in this thread belongs to Icarius.

STEELIX
January 28, 2005, 4:42 pm
Gosh, I wish I was as superiour to other beeings as you Icarius.

Maluno
January 30, 2005, 10:05 pm
quote:Originally posted by Marinequote:Originally posted by IDF-RIPstaThe Spas is definitely one of the most underestimated weapons in the game.

So true.
But nice one, I'll be sure to try this.
And the only reason people don't whine and moan about SPAS 1-2 hit kill is because so few people use it....
SPAS is definitely underrated.

Yes, the spas may be underrated, but nearly as much as another weapon, the ussocom. Its high rate of fire, powerful bullets, nearly instantaneous reload time, combined with a psychological factor make it my weapon of choice in many maps.

When in the middle of a firefight with other soldiers, the ussocom really shines. The other soldiers will either see the small pistol, and decide that it is not a worthy threat, when there are augs and aks around, OR, they will not even notice the weapon and assume your hands are empty. I then let the others fight each other and injure themselves before cleaning up with my trusty pistol.

They are many times amazed and irritated how they are being repeatedly pwned by an "inconsequential" weapon. When I win matches using only the ussocom, I am undeservingly labeled an extremely advanced player. Instead, most people just dont understand the power the weapon has.

It has become a reflex to switch to my secondary, and I only bring out my primary, deagles, when presented with insurmountable odds (ie a large number of enemies), and an empty clip. This almost seems like cheating after using the other gun for so long.

The best part about using this weapon is when you fill up the deaths console. That really feels good hehe.

try the weapon you will be surprised

EDIT: for some reason my comments got lost and all that was posted were the quotes. Also, sorry for the long post.

Psyker
January 30, 2005, 10:32 pm
sounds good on paper, doesn't it

Chaosmongler
February 5, 2005, 8:02 am
socom is the only secondary I use with minor exceptions (that ctf map with the bridge in the middle, and the moon in the sky where the base has in tight quarters, I like to use the law there).

I get tons and tons of kills with socom. My main is the ruger, so let's assume for a second I suck, and hit 1/4, its still quite easy to hit switch, and pop off 3-4 shots of socom and finish someone. If I don't suck as badly but still suck and hit 2/4 and the guy is bleeding, its easier to finish them with socom.

As mentioned before, socom is wonderful for 'picking off' people that are wounded. While ruger's large damage and range make it also a good weapon, against quickly moving targets, sometimes it's easier to use the pistol. The pistol on its own is excellent; I can't count the times I've offed someone with a main weapon, then switched to the socom and nailed someone else. Add grenades to the mix, and its really easy to wrack up multiple kills without having to reload.

February 5, 2005, 3:05 pm
I've known and used this spas reload technique for quite a long time. Thanks for letting everyone know our secret.

Zero Wiggles Murasame
February 5, 2005, 8:57 pm
my nade button is also the boost button. now I know why it's been pretty accurate. I rain on everyone while nading and shotgun shooting them in midair.

STEELIX
February 5, 2005, 9:39 pm
boost? =/

lastpatriot
February 5, 2005, 11:27 pm
Although the Spas is somewhat underestimated, there is no way that it is that underrated. I see entire capture groups using it. It's deadly in close combat.

Dathker
February 6, 2005, 4:07 am
only if you are on top, if you are on bottom, then you are [IMAGE]ed... that could be taken in two ways, lets hope you are all mature enough to know which way i mean.

wb again fenyx ^_^

F3nyx
February 6, 2005, 4:47 am
Thanks Dathker! And yeah, SPAS is pretty pathetic when you can only get leg shots. I personally I think it could use a SLIGHTLY faster firing cycle, i.e. not so much time between shots. Even at close range, a Deagle user can beat a SPAS user because the Deagles can get off two headshots before the SPAS user gets a second shot. The SPAS should own everything else at point-blank range.

Icarius
February 7, 2005, 9:11 pm
It's good for pushing people, thats the whole point to using Nades with the spas...
I've said this time and time again for longer than I can remember now. In a DM, on a plentyful server...

SPAS+NADES=DOMINATION

lieroguy
February 7, 2005, 10:28 pm
Keep in mind that it's fairly easy to counter the SPAS. With a very short maximim effectve range, a person who keeps their wits aobut them can counter it with just about any other weapon, as long as they keep their distance.

Morik
February 8, 2005, 12:35 am
most people dont think of that though....too bad for them :D

F3nyx
February 8, 2005, 1:39 am
They only don't think of it because they're not used to people using the SPAS effectively. If SPAS use becomes widespread, people will figure out pretty fast that it's easier to counter than most autos.

lieroguy
February 8, 2005, 4:31 pm
It's because of that, that I believe the SPAS is somewhat underpowered.

STEELIX
February 8, 2005, 5:48 pm
Well, it already is a 2 hit kill, how would you make it better?

February 8, 2005, 6:42 pm
Leave the spas alone, it's fine. It has an almost unique arc (hello m79) that is very good for firing over obstacles. It's also very hard to miss with all of the pellets, so it's great for chasing people on low health, as long as they aren't too far away. It's also good for binking. If you pick up another weapon, the spas is a very reliable secondary weapon, especially when used with one shot weapons such as the barret or m79, due to its quick reload and accuracy.

lieroguy
February 8, 2005, 7:04 pm
I would make it better in small ways, to make is a more versatile, friendly gun. Perhaps a couple of the following: Making the pellets more visible, larger pellet spread, and faster pellet travel speed.

Deleted User
February 8, 2005, 7:35 pm
Well spas 12 is my fav weapon but i must admit i never thinked about this...

F3nyx
February 11, 2005, 1:38 am
quote:Well, it already is a 2 hit kill, how would you make it better?

As I said earlier...

I personally I think it could use a SLIGHTLY faster firing cycle, i.e. not so much time between shots. Even at close range, a Deagle user can beat a SPAS user because the Deagles can get off two headshots before the SPAS user gets a second shot. The SPAS should own everything else at point-blank range.

Icarius
February 11, 2005, 3:29 pm
quote:Originally posted by lieroguyIt's because of that, that I believe the SPAS is somewhat underpowered.

It's because of its limited damage, lack of ammo, dependancy of nades, player ablity... lots of [IMAGE] basically. It's a pretty crap gun in retrospect, but it does take out M79 cappers and Mini Surfers like a charm. You try speeding into an Spas blast and you'll find it takes almost a whole bar of energy off with great ease, not to mention stop you dead.

All the guns have limits and have counterblity, but more often than not, it's the Auto's that are the hardest to avoid, espically in DM's.

In all honesty, Soldat is a fine game, but the weapons seem somewhat bland still, if not, samey. Look at what there is. You have 5 Automatics in a selection of 10. 3 Semi Auto's, 1 Sniper and 1 Explosive (sniper and explosive been instakill on direct hit), then you have 4 other weapons, 2 of which are instakill, and 2 are melee. The other one is another explosive weapon and one is an Semi Auto. Surely there are more weapons that can be integrated into this game. Or is that all the world has to offer.

In fairness, Spas is actually the most fun weapon in the game to use, if you like the novelty of pushing people back into "your little trap" you set up for them, and it's a pretty fun semi auto. It's just all the rest of the guns that are overpowered and... dull. Still, it's definatly the most fair version of soldat that's been released, only the spas is the one that requires some kind of tune up or the rest need a slight tune down.

Deleted User
February 14, 2005, 12:39 pm
spas is indeedly good, but there also are much better guns in this game.And thx from the tip ;). I personnally use spas only vs my friends or other not so good players.

February 17, 2005, 11:07 am
heck, shotguns are developed for what? Close range so get up close and personal to do major dmg. But honestly though, its a neat trick. but u could exploit it for longer ranged enemies. Shotgun can do mortal dmg to a group of enemies.

SPARTAN_III
February 17, 2005, 12:02 pm
its a 2 hit kill if ALL THE F!@KING BULLETS HIT y'know. and nice technique. it will mke me more effective if i can memorize it