( search forums )
Play Soldat One-handed!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Roy
January 24, 2005, 12:29 am
Wouldn't it be cool to play Soldat with one hand?

Think about it, all you need is one of those mice with 5 buttons or something. Plus the mousewheel is actually 3 functions, because you can press the wheel, and scroll it up or down.

I think I would set it up so that the thumb on the side moved left, the index finger fired and controlled the mousewheel, the middle finger moved right, and the ring finger/little finger used jets. The mousewheel would be: scroll up reloads, depress throws nades, and scroll down switches weapons.

Obviously not as effective as using a full keyboard and all, but with some practice it could probably work. I wonder if anyone has tried something like this?

_Mancer_
January 24, 2005, 12:56 am
Not everyone has that kind of mouse.

Milkman Dan
January 24, 2005, 1:15 am
i have a mouse like that and i've thought about it many times, but im just too damn lazy to try it

mar77a
January 24, 2005, 1:37 am
Ha! i Have a 2 button mouse and the right one does not work, so i use Left [IMAGE] to Fly...

BManx2000
January 24, 2005, 2:59 am
The P5 glove I have could theoretically do this, but it'd be a major pain...

Maluno
January 24, 2005, 3:03 am
My old optical mouse just crapped out on me the other day, so I have resorted to using an old rolling ball mouse. After a few years of optical it is INCREDIBLY frustrating to try to use a ball mouse for regular computing, let alone gaming with it. The ball sticks so bad it takes me a few seconds to be able to hit a button.

Fortunately, a new Logitech mx 510 is enroute to my lair. It has 6 buttons. 7 if you count the scrolling wheel, and 8 if you can differentiate between the scroll up/down. But my question to you is... Why???

Spectral
January 24, 2005, 3:53 am
so you can fap and play soldat at once..

Leo Da Lunerfox
January 24, 2005, 4:49 am
LMAO.

On a more sensible note, probably to use the other hand to eat, drink, do homework or whatever during respawn times...

Ranis
January 24, 2005, 7:27 am
I think the way soldat's keyboard and mouse is better than one handed, seems pretty weird.

AerialAssault
January 24, 2005, 11:20 am
quote:Originally posted by RanisI think the way soldat's keyboard and mouse is better than one handed, seems pretty weird.
So does Roy.
quote:Originally posted by RoyObviously not as effective as using a full keyboard and all, but with some practice it could probably work.

i think it would be too hard to use. in the past, my ring finger hasnt proved to reliable for responsivness.

Tha Doggfather
January 24, 2005, 12:22 pm
Ive got a logitech MX1000, it has enough buttons.

But I think I would get even more cramps in my right hand.

MOFO NOFO
January 24, 2005, 12:30 pm
how about trying to play soldat with a game controler or a joystick... that would be more harder.. for me

PokePunkz
January 24, 2005, 1:00 pm
More harder? o_o Sorry that english just caught my eye >_> Anyways, I doubt that would be a good idea, even with practice, you'd have to tone your fingers, get them into shape! :O lol

FoZ
January 24, 2005, 1:49 pm
i was thinking of having a whole soldat game with no aim just for [IMAGE]s and giggles.. i wonder if anyone would win O.o

and yes that is possible, just would have to make an app to hijak your mouse while you play :D

edit: arg forgot about the topic *stops daydreaming*, i have a 6 button mouse counting the scrollbutton ;o

Liber_Lupus
January 24, 2005, 5:08 pm
Controlling your player with a mouse - big pain in the ass. I'd be more comfortable with a keyboard and my optical-scroll mouse.

MOFO NOFO
January 24, 2005, 7:28 pm
i tried the mouse... it was ok.. but my legft hand was getting bored lol..

NightCabbage
January 24, 2005, 11:34 pm
Shouldn't this topic be in the Lounge?

I have a mouse with a total of 7 functions (inc wheel).

It wouldn't even give me half of the controls I need in order to play the game properly.

Also, it would impede my playing ability, as only using one hand would make it more difficult to play.

On a side note, it would remove one of the best points of an online game. Chat.

Spectral
January 25, 2005, 2:15 am
use teamspeak ;\

Magniitude
January 25, 2005, 2:17 am
heh soldat keyboard only...

Maluno
January 25, 2005, 2:49 am
quote:Originally posted by Magniitudeheh soldat keyboard only...

Now THAT would be a feat. :~D

Ranis
January 25, 2005, 7:18 am
ANd I was thinking, if you used one hand to do everything, you might get carpal tunnel, and keyboard only sounds, um, different.

?
January 25, 2005, 8:43 pm
My mouse has more buttons than yours... what?

Spectral
January 26, 2005, 12:09 am
keyboard only one handed?!

Keron Cyst
January 26, 2005, 1:46 am
quote:Originally posted by Magniitudeheh soldat keyboard only...

I don't think that'd be too hard, actually. Just use the arrow keys for aimer movement (and in Options some Key Strength or something relative to Mouse Sensitivity), and LeftShift or something for your jet boots, Space Bar for firing... :-P

?
January 26, 2005, 9:28 pm
go for it....