( search forums )
Soap's Last Map
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Soap
January 27, 2005, 8:49 am
Reality has grasped me with its icy hand over the past couple of months and the time has come for me to end my "career" as a Soldat mapper. I simply won't have the time for it anymore.

I have taken a vow never to map again starting this Monday. I can hear everyone saying now, "But Soap, you've only released 9 maps in 4 years!" Well, that is a half truth. I've spent a good 10+ hours a week over those 3 years constantly attempting to make "the best Soldat map ever", as well as the odd few "whatever" maps; in seriatim. I'm a bit of a zen mapper, I practice constantly and only show my best results when I'm partially satisfied with them. It's a bit of an artform for me, which is quite depressing, considering the fact that this hobby consists of connecting polygons together for an underground indy game.

This restless mapper is going to give it one more shot, however. I'm giving myself 3 days to put together one final map; a map that coruscates my combined abilities and experience as a Soldat mapper. Will it be the best map ever made? Well, that's a matter of opinion. I don't have a plan or theme for it as of yet.

In the mean time, I'm going to release two of my maps that I attempted but never finished. There are hundreds of them; the majority of them ended up in the recycle bin. Not these ones, though. They might be dire in dire need of waypointing, polybug fixed etc... Maybe I thought they just sucked. If you want to finish them off, please do. You don't need to mention me if you plan on releasing them one day either (someone please finish them!).

Here are some shots of them.

CTF - Blizzard
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

CTF - Shell Shock
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]
[IMAGE]

And here is the download of the maps. Unzip it into your Soldat directory.

http://www.faindfiles.com/eric/lastmaps.zip

My final map will be dedicated to grand_diablo for all those nights we spent together under the stars and made sweet, sweet man-love. My 72 hours of mapping begins immediately. God knows what I'm going to come out with in the end. I'll post it here when I'm finished.

See you in three days.

CHE_guevara
January 27, 2005, 11:09 am
the best Soldat maps ever

MOFO NOFO
January 27, 2005, 12:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by CHE_guevarathe best Soldat maps ever

I TOATALLY agree, mabye when i get my serv up, ill put in blizzard.

bb_vb
January 27, 2005, 12:12 pm
Those textures are pretty damn sexy, and the maps look fantastic, but they probably need more variance in colour to remove the plainness.

Sad to hear you're leaving the mapping community, but I greatly look forward to your final map :)

Mysterio
January 27, 2005, 2:23 pm
ay caramba! these maps are thee greatest map i have seen!
why do you stop,hefe?

Rambo_6
January 27, 2005, 3:22 pm
Soap, I admire the fact that you put so much effort into your idividual maps. I'm sad to hear you're going, since your maps capture the essence of soldat that all of your fellow mappers have been trying to acheive.

Plus, your textures rock, and your maps are the best.

Which brings upon me the urge to do the same. Here on forth, i will no longer be making any soldat maps, but rather perfecting all of the ones which i have created in the past year or so. I'm not even sure how long i've been on these forums... But the maps i've created all don't seem to have the amount of care that should be put into them, as you have shown.

I hope your last map captures the true essence of soldat! :D

chakapoko maker
January 27, 2005, 4:42 pm
beautiful color, fine shading, suitable texture for the theme. cool and great, and kinda sorrow there? you and aussie mappers are brilliant for that kind of thing somehow. i guess you want to make a world as a mirror of your mind. the outline gives the finishing feeling to the map tells me so. and you've made your map.
i think you don't need to quit mapping. as you say, it's a strange hobby but everything counts for nothing doesn't mean worthless. i listen to music because i'd like to. there's a process atleast. when you get time and a sensation of that, just do/suffer it for pleasure and show them us again. i embarrass to say that, well, i hope it would be a good diapause ;)

Michal
January 27, 2005, 4:52 pm
Blizzard and Shellshock = Works of Art
11/10 :D
Unbelievably good shading in blizzard, I felt cold playing in it.
SERVER ADMINS It is your duty to put these maps in your servers.

I hope someday I'll be able to make maps like that.

Mysterio
January 27, 2005, 5:04 pm
i'm sure you will:D

mar77a
January 27, 2005, 5:22 pm
OH , MY , GOD . Blizzard > (put any other map here except ctf_Shell Shock)

damnnation
January 27, 2005, 6:06 pm
just nice, really nice... make morreee MAN MOREEEE!!

grand_diablo
January 27, 2005, 6:13 pm
Oh my f****** god!

Shellshock looks great, and I guess the gameplay is quite nice (although Im a bit sceptical)
Blizzard looks extremely awesome, and like good gameplay!

I hope your last (if it will really be the last, which I still dont want to believe) can top those!

Btw. I guess a ctf_Swamp with an additional way into the base, would be very close to the perfect map (which will never exist.)

mar77a
January 27, 2005, 6:25 pm
Okey, I made waypoints for ctf_Blizzard. I have sent the file to Soap...

bananaboi
January 27, 2005, 6:33 pm
I LOVE CTF-Blizzard!!!! man, it so sad to see you leave

hashard
January 27, 2005, 6:53 pm
It looks fuc... very nice!
CTF Blizzard is very nice shaded, it's the best map I've ever seen! Shellshock looks great too.
Please don't leave us ;]

PathAK
January 27, 2005, 7:43 pm
Blizzard is superb, the shading is amazing.

Cant wait to see your last map

Also, can you please post all the 9 maps you have made along with the new one, as i have only ever seen one of your maps (ctf_swamp) and would like to see the others that you have released :D

Soap
January 27, 2005, 9:32 pm
I don't know where the maps are. I have none of them on my computer.

GluLm
January 27, 2005, 10:34 pm
I can't believe it.
You just release awesome maps, except for inf_Airborne which sucks. Just like your other maps, it's obvious you've spent a lot of work in them. Some bumpy polygons here and there, but of course you said these are unfinished maps. The colours and design are excellent, as usual with your maps.
You really put lots of time and willing into making great maps, this is why you're a model for all.
You chose to leave the scene of mappers, everyone should respect your choice. But keep in mind that you're probably the best mapper around here.
By the way, I once tried to remake your old map "Dusk" some months ago, and I couldn't even get half of it done. Your style is unique, your talent is matchless!
I look forward your very "last map" and wish you good luck.

peemonkey
January 27, 2005, 10:36 pm
snapple. thems look like some good maps, ill have to try yours some time.

Skate4Razors
January 28, 2005, 1:26 am
I'm sad you're leaving, your past maps are amazing. Many mappers wish to have your skills. Your mapping skills are unique from others, your shading is perfect, textures are unbeatable, etc. I think we will always remember you as "The Mapper," or something cooler. I know you don't really know me, but I enjoy your maps way too much.

First and foremost, these maps HAVE to be added to servers. they are the best I've seen... Forever really. You are godly. I still don't think you should give up mapping, I hope you have that "Urge" to create another masterpiece. I hope your last map will blow everyones mind away, good luck (Do you need luck?)!

Deleted User
January 28, 2005, 1:43 am
I think Soap deserves a custom title, like "Retired Mapper" or some such. His work has been an inspiration for so many of the mappers on these forums and elsewhere, I'm sure.

Evident in his maps are the kind of painstaking detail and research required to make a map not just something fun to play on or something you can enjoy, but something so orgasmically beautiful you remember it for many years to come. Looking back on Soldat I would like to remember playing on Soap's maps and all the great matches I've had against my foes.

Sure, the game itself may be amazing, but the hand of God is in Soap's maps, and I thank you for every moment I've spent on them, Soap. You truely are a master of your trade and I do not think that anyone will argue with you over that title, for it is one you've definitely earned.

Though it pains me to see you go, I am reminded of the phrase "Nothing lasts forever", and indeed, change is constant. I can only hope that when you take your leave, someone else will step up and follow in the path you have set with your skills.. and maybe, just maybe, they'll push the bar a little higher.

Congratulations, Soap. You have earned my more than due respect, and the respect of the community as a whole. From one Soldat player to another, I salute you.

May Real-Life (tm) someday bring you back to us.

MOFO NOFO
January 28, 2005, 5:31 am
nice speech :p

The Geologist
January 28, 2005, 5:40 am
Damnit! It's never good to see someone go...but it may as well be a good send off. You've been somewhat of an inspiration to me as far as making maps goes, and I dedicate my next map to you for that reason. There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said, 'eh? I look forward to what you have in store for your final production.

Leo Da Lunerfox
January 28, 2005, 5:51 am
I concur with Lapis. Your maps (And everyone elses, including me) are truly what makes Soldat alive. No mapper shall ever take your place, your style is what made you unique. I can't fathom someone who would put so much time into ONE single map (Unlike Rambo's early maps....man he released like over 100) You will be remembered on these forums as an artist with a vision.

Unique Title 4 Soap ,05

In another sense, to other aspiring mappers, create your own sytle, Soap did it, and so can you. (No taking my Trenches style though :P)

enjoyincubus
January 28, 2005, 6:57 am
Unsure you'll be able to outdo Siberia. But these are polished. Nice.

Soap
January 28, 2005, 11:19 am
Remember, I said that I'm not going to map anymore. I'm probably still going to hang aorund here for the rest of my days; I love this Soldat community.

Heh, I'd even go so far to ask for my own private mapping forum in this darn place ;). I'd love to raise mappers up like children and teach them my tricks.

*sigh* there is no way in hell that would ever happen though... unless someone pestered Mike for me ;)

Deleted User
January 28, 2005, 4:02 pm
Heh, write a few tutorials, Soap, and I can make them sticky for you and put them wherever you like.

Soap
January 29, 2005, 12:55 am
I have a waypointing tutorial in the bots forum, but it's pretty out of date and needs to be fixed.

Rambo_6
January 29, 2005, 4:45 am
What you need to give out is a shading/poly placement tutorial. Your techniques are pact compare ;)

Soap
January 30, 2005, 8:02 am
Hello again.

After reading what everyone has said, I have decided that no, I am not going to stop mapping. I feel like I have a duty to perform. Thanks for saving me :D

I've also realised that it's going to take me a while longer to finish this map I'm working on. It will be worth it though.

I love you guys.

MercyM
January 30, 2005, 8:58 am
holy [IMAGE] these are awesome

dr dragon
January 30, 2005, 1:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by SoapHello again.

After reading what everyone has said, I have decided that no, I am not going to stop mapping. I feel like I have a duty to perform. Thanks for saving me :D

HOORAY!
Soap is back! Come on everybody! Celebrate!

Chakra
January 30, 2005, 1:26 pm
To be honest, I had no idea who you were before today. Never paid much attention to the mapping section 'cept to say "wow nice map" now and then.

But after looking at a few of your maps, i'm glad you're deciding to stay! You do some very very good stuff my friend. A true ickle shiny gem in the soldat community.

ThaD
January 30, 2005, 2:42 pm
so true Chakra :)

Deleted User
January 30, 2005, 3:27 pm
OMG what a awesome maps !!! Damn these are so damn cool god maps , I must have them ! Very good Job Soap and it's pleasure that u are still "map maker" :))))))

Cookie.
January 30, 2005, 5:03 pm
teh blizzardy map its teh win!

Boxo
January 30, 2005, 6:14 pm
Whee, Soap's not quitting, JOY! ^^

You're really the best mapper there ever was and will be. All hail!

It kind of makes me sad to see such great maps, knowing I'll never be able to match them.

These maps look incredibly beautiful, and play great, but there is one huge problem with ctf_shellshock: in the case of a stalemate, where both teams have the enemy's flag, one can go back to the spawn point and render the rest of the round pretty much pointless, since it's nigh impossible getting the flag back from there. Was this intended?

EDIT: I also noticed a scenery bug in blizzard. It's in the passage under the red flag. Blizzard gameplay rocks btw.

Kazuki
January 30, 2005, 7:17 pm
quote:Originally posted by ChakraTo be honest, I had no idea who you were before today. Never paid much attention to the mapping section 'cept to say "wow nice map" now and then.

But after looking at a few of your maps, i'm glad you're deciding to stay! You do some very very good stuff my friend. A true ickle shiny gem in the soldat community.

Precisely. Same goes for me. However, I'd be superbly glad if you released some more of your maps instead of just trashing them away. :) We could use some more great maps.

Leo Da Lunerfox
January 30, 2005, 7:34 pm
Yeah, I mean, its like, a map you trash is still better then what 90% of us can do...

MikeShinoda.pheonix
January 30, 2005, 8:26 pm
I have to say, unfortunately, that i have never even recognized your work accept your textures that are great. You are definitly one of the best map makers that has ever mapped.

Psyl3ntShad0w
January 31, 2005, 5:38 am
i don't know why anyone hasn't noticed yet...but it appears that the download is corrupt =/ "unexpected end in archive" blah i want.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
January 31, 2005, 11:24 pm
yeah, i was just about to post about that.... I was wondering what other maps you have made soap. Id like to see some more of your work..

Boxo
February 1, 2005, 8:19 am
The downloads worked for me.

Tested again, they still do.

Deleted User
February 1, 2005, 7:39 pm
i think shelshock is perfect for test for clans(one on one) if it is small

Psyl3ntShad0w
February 2, 2005, 1:27 am
mike - soap made ctf_swamp as well as various DM maps including, malaria, sniper suprise and shiver.

HIM - is that sarcasm? shellshock is huge.

hopefully someone finishes waypointing them...

Maxx
February 17, 2005, 3:23 am
AMAZING.

Kirby_106
February 17, 2005, 4:01 am
What RES is he running? Those little soldat guys look tiny!

PathAK
February 17, 2005, 11:20 am
Whats the progress on this map? 3 days seems to have turned into ages!

Deleted User
February 17, 2005, 7:29 pm
Has anyone made a version of Shellshock with bots? I frigging LOVE that map :D. Blizzard is nice too.

I can't wait to see this uber-map, it'll be fantastic - you'll never top ctf_Swamp though :P glad you're staying Soap.

enjoyincubus: Siberia? Do you mean Serbia? I don't remember any Siberia map, but Serbia was AWESOME.

Michal
February 17, 2005, 8:57 pm
I didn't think it would, but Shellshock has awesome gameplay. I think I actually prefer this type of gameplay to classic Soldat because there is so much more strategy. Teams really need to cooperate to get a cap, sniping and support fire play a vital role, I'm always seeking cover from enemy snipers. The gameplay just feels more exciting for me.
I think I'll make a no jets map when I have more time.

Soap
February 17, 2005, 9:13 pm
I am still working on this "big map" or whatever you want to call it. I keep scrapping it all the time.

Maxx
February 17, 2005, 9:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by SoapHello again.

I've also realised that it's going to take me a while longer to finish this map I'm working on. It will be worth it though.

I love you guys.

YAAAAAAAAAAY!

zambo_the_clown
February 18, 2005, 2:00 pm
dude ya got to share your skills with us (especially me) cuz i cant find a way to make the most creative maps and i dont want to show em cuz people will think they suck, im 101% sure :P

i saw your link to your site and i cant access the tutorials link!!! I suck at maps :(

Maxx
February 18, 2005, 2:06 pm
Not many maps are the most "creative" they can be, Soap is just insanely good at mapmaking.

Zambo, post one you think is the best of your maps.
In return you'll recieve (very helpful) constructive criticism.
=D

His site isn't done yet.
*sigh*

Soap
February 19, 2005, 7:52 am
Taken from my website.

quote:Q: Will you make my map for me?
A: Yes, but you must bake a cake that says, "Soap is sexy" written in it. Follow these steps very closely:
- Take a photo of yourself mixing the cake together.
- Once the cake has finished baking, take it out of the oven. Put the icing on top and write the secret message. Take a photo of your masterpiece.
- Take a photo of yourself eating the cake.

Allow me to be a bit more specific: this is the only reason I am going to make maps ever again. If you want me to make a map, bake me a cake.