( search forums )
Gameplay Assisting Mods
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Ezko
January 29, 2005, 7:01 am
Everyone knows that in every game, Mods change the images about. There can be purple teddy bears, flying toilet seats, etc. But have you ever thought about making a mod that helps your gameplay?

How you ask? For a start, cut the size of your HP meter, ammo meter etc. Maximise your line of sight. Make Spas pellets brightly coloured for ease of use. Make Barrets bright and noticeable.
Possibly give every gun a different colour bullet, so you know exactly what weapons the enemy is using even before they come into contact. Change your crosshair to something convenient for you.

Ever annoyed when walking into random grenades? Make them bright yellow so you can detect them.

Mods can actually boost your gameplay by a bit, it is your own choice.

paramud
January 29, 2005, 7:24 am
there was already an anti-n00b mod, with a giant pink barret that fires a siren when you shoot, and a minigun with a loud reload sound, it was a great mod it was...

Vijchtidoodah
January 29, 2005, 7:29 am
Hmm...those are all well known solutions to common minor hindrances to gaming, but not all are accepted because they are cheap.

For instance, making brightly colored grenades is fine because the granades (I think) were meant to be noticable but the edges on the textures obscures them as it does to the scenery and your feet. On the other hand, making barrets easier to see is so lame because one of the biggest hooks for new players is the ability to hide in a bush and snipe you. It's just stupid to make it so that you can spot them better because they can never be completely hidden behind anything, if you don't see them the first time then that just means that you aren't a good player.

kkazican
January 29, 2005, 8:38 am
I liked the barret mod. Where it turned every single weapon into a barret.

Teh Panda
January 29, 2005, 10:09 am
I think Mancers mod have those things... Atleast a big M79 grenade.

lieroguy
January 30, 2005, 12:06 am
Michael probably took into account the efects of camo and vision in the game. At least, all good game designers do. Although at this point I don't consider it cheating, I do find it in poor taste.

chakapoko maker
January 30, 2005, 1:29 am
i do. i take visible effect.
when i started this game, i thought i couldn't play it because any of bullets weren't on the screen to me and i couldn't know what was going on all the time. screenshots for the newcomer didn't tell me how the gameplay is by that. so i have painted ammo with yellow that works in any soldatry background color and i have a good game. also my barret looks a big ugly red hammer and m79 is a yellow rectangle. my charactor is lime. hit-arg.wav sounds like shooter game's. i do like them.

NightCabbage
January 30, 2005, 8:30 am
Kinda like my white nades mod :P

Alamo
January 30, 2005, 1:26 pm
SilencedAsshole (was it the name? ... the guy with that 'i'm a cool smoker'-avy) did something like that AFAIK.

pongo
January 30, 2005, 2:22 pm
heh. modifed Scenery-gfx can help... but i dont use it.
My 'mod': http://soldat.zapisi.ru/user/pongo2/files/pongo_soldat.rar

MikeShinoda.pheonix
January 30, 2005, 7:47 pm
I used to do that with the saw and the barret. i exteded them out longer than they should be so they would stick out of the grass.

carmoil
January 31, 2005, 2:39 am
I made a mod where the barret is a big sign that says "loser" in pink letters, and the grenade launcher is a roast pig that shoots the apple out of its mouth. Also the grenades are electrodes from pokemen, and when you throw it it says "go electrode." I made a bunch of other changes, like change a lot of the guns to different colors (mostly white). I just did it for fun, but i have noticed that it makes it way easier to see what weapon people are using.

By the way, I have been reading the forums for several months, but my account would always log me out as soon as i signed in, so i couldnt post anything. For some reason it just started working (maybe because i started using firefox).