( search forums )
Nuclear Bombs?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
AerialAssault
January 30, 2005, 12:47 am
after looking at swebonny's avatar, it made me wonder. why does the cloud go straight up after the explosion rather than spreading out?

FliesLikeABrick
January 30, 2005, 1:25 am
hot air rises. The convection around the mushroom cloud is like a toroid

peemonkey
January 30, 2005, 1:44 am
because it looks like a tree, and trees grow upwards.

enjoyincubus
January 30, 2005, 2:21 am
simple questions demand simple answers. (see also: above post)

DeMonIc
January 30, 2005, 8:58 am
Hot air goes upwards.An the explosions launches the cloud high, where it scatters.

ThaD
January 30, 2005, 11:32 am
it looks better ;p

Swebonny
January 30, 2005, 1:36 pm
Woohoo u took my name in ur Topic :D:D:D:D I am famous!

SOme pages i found:
http://www.firstpulseprojects.net/bombproject/Index.html(pics)
http://people.howstuffworks.com/nuclear-bomb8.htm(infomation?)

lieroguy
February 1, 2005, 6:14 am
Nuclear bombs are fun.

And abortions tickle.

Seriously, though, they're right. In an explosion, the majority of the explosive matter goes upwards. That's why the best thing to do to avoid a real frag grenade is to lay on the floor and cover your ears. In an explosion as massive as a nuclear explosion, Heat combining with the cold air as it rushes upwards cuases the shape. The heat istelf is powerful enough to decimate anyone remotely nearby, regardless of explosvie force or radiation. I think this is similar to the effect of how a tornado starts, except vertical instead of horizontal.

Hitman
February 1, 2005, 9:40 am
This is the best definition of a 'Mushroom cloud'.

Milkman Dan
February 2, 2005, 12:34 am
AH and i thought being hitman mushroom cloud would be some stoner drug term

it seems i misjudged you hitman, im sorry

HA i lied, crackwhore

?
February 2, 2005, 12:57 am
You are all wrong.. the bomb does that because it wants to look pretty.

peemonkey
February 2, 2005, 1:43 am
like-a-tree! i rest my case!

mar77a
February 2, 2005, 1:47 am
Hey, sweebony's avatar doesn't show up for me...

Vid3o
February 2, 2005, 2:01 am
Sucks to be you.

DT
February 2, 2005, 5:09 am
Ravioli god made it so

AerialAssault
February 2, 2005, 5:40 am
i hate you DT.

Milkman Dan
February 2, 2005, 7:44 am
I hate that damn ravioli god too

Unlucky 13
February 2, 2005, 10:01 am
:/ Because it the way it does least damage. Really, why dont they make it cold? That would make the explosion spread across the ground.

Alamo
February 2, 2005, 4:26 pm
Because heat is one of the things that does the damage.

AerialAssault
February 2, 2005, 6:22 pm
maybe...but extreme cold can be very destructive as well. acually, i think extreme cold would be better because it would kill everyone but leave all the buildings and machines of war intact if you were to capture the area.

peemonkey
February 2, 2005, 6:40 pm
i wanna see a country drop tons of feces over an enemy city. just once.

DeMonIc
February 2, 2005, 6:56 pm
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssaultmaybe...but extreme cold can be very destructive as well. acually, i think extreme cold would be better because it would kill everyone but leave all the buildings and machines of war intact if you were to capture the area.

Wrong there..if it's cold enough to harm people, it's cold enough to harm building aswell.

SuperKill
February 2, 2005, 7:03 pm
you really think the heat is what does the damage?

AerialAssault
February 2, 2005, 7:54 pm
no, now that i think about it for more than half a second. its the energy released at such a rate that does the damage.

poo.

Judge_Man
February 2, 2005, 8:09 pm
A nuclear cold explosion is just NOT do-able. Wether it's fusion or fisson, it release an insane amount of heat.

You can't have any cold explosion. Even a lil firework or anything.

BManx2000
February 2, 2005, 8:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKillyou really think the heat is what does the damage?

That and the shockwaves. But if you're in range of the heat, the existence of the shockwaves is trivial.

The Geologist
February 3, 2005, 12:51 am
Radiation from masses of energy released through the creation/breaking of hydrogen bonds.

?
February 3, 2005, 12:54 am
There is video of people being blow away from a nuclear bomb, mabey from Hirosima.. just what I heard.. if someone could find the video.. that would be neato :D

The Geologist
February 3, 2005, 12:58 am
There's lots of test footage of nuclear bombs and the like, but I'm not sure if what you heard was correct...the radiation from the blast was said to have developed/exposed/ruined film buried in boxes in the buildings of basements and other places around the city. How could the recording have survived if someone was recording in the radious of the blast?

Not saying it's 100% not true, but it just seems odd. Now I know there are plenty of videos of people just after the bombing, and those are simply horrible.

?
February 3, 2005, 1:03 am
Stuff like that is like faces of death on kazaa, terrible but you just have to watch it...

lieroguy
February 5, 2005, 5:06 pm
Demonic is right. Anything with the slightest moisture in it, as well as most types of rocks and metal, Douments, plastics, ect, would become brittle, and when it cools, would probably fall apart. Technically, extreme cold would be just as damaging, but simply not possible with current world technology. It is much easier to make something hot than it is to make something cold.

And yes, heat is a very damaging part of a nuclear bomb. Let's take a 1 megaton bomb, for example (which is tiny, most hydrogen bombs are about 80 megatons). First you get the explosion, which makes a crater 200 feet deep and half a kilometer wide, anything in there is gone. During the explosion, you get intense light, anyone who looks into it will be blinded.

The explosion will create a shockwave followed by a heatwave. The shockwave will decimate anything for 5 miles, just barely stopping at 7.5 miles. For the first 5 miles, anything exposed that is not not crushed by the pressure is vaporized by the heat. Buldings, trees, people, knocked around like toy blocks.

Most people who manage to survive the blast in shelters or extremely resilient buildings near the outside of the shockwave's limit probably will not survive the radiation, which is lethal with less than an hour of exposure. After a 7-day period, fallout will have spread to about 250 miles around, those within the first 30 will die within hours, those between thirty and 90 will die within days.

And this is what happens when you use an incredibly obsolete bomb. If an 80 megaton hydrogen bomb were detonated in the air above an area, the instantaneous destructive damage would spread over a 100 miles, fallout would be enough to cover any european country and turn it into a wasteland.

Deleted User
February 5, 2005, 6:33 pm
Even after reading all of lieroguy's post, I still prefer Neutron bombs. Nuclear bombs are just a trend. They'll fade out like Disco did.

Captain Ben
February 6, 2005, 5:08 am
good point...
but isn't another reason for nuclear bombs being so powerful because when they explode, a kind of radioactive powder floats around and away from the bomb blast?
i think something like that happened in russia in the 1980's and there was a mass evacuation and clean up, etc

The Geologist
February 6, 2005, 5:13 am
Give me a hydrogen bomb any day of the week.

Judge_Man
February 6, 2005, 5:28 am
The new bombs that will pwn is Electro-Magnetics bombs.
Killing no human, but destroying ALL the USA's (just for an exemple *smile*) electric network in a second. Making the country COMPLETELY defenseless. No communication. No light. Nothing.

AerialAssault
February 6, 2005, 6:36 am
EMPS will definitely pwn. but i heard that the US Air Force is experimenting with anti-matter for use as fuel in the space program, and also for weapons (of course). i think its scary that we are going to use anti-matter for weapons, a clean superweapon is more dangerous than a dirty one.

Deleted User
February 6, 2005, 9:08 am
Generators will still work after an EMP strike.. provided they are basic and not computerized devices.

They test those EMP bombs in the base nearby here. They also test acidic napalm and other junk too, but I'm not supposed to tell you that.

DeMonIc
February 6, 2005, 6:23 pm
Mmh..aren't neutron bombs a myth?I mean, a bomb that only harms organs..
Hydrogen bombs are like the explosions on the sun.
And thanks to Liero for sharing that.Don't play with the big shiny red button kids!

lieroguy
February 6, 2005, 7:04 pm
A Neutron Bomb is pretty much the same thing as a normal nuclear or hydrogen bomb, except the radioactive effects are temporary, so people die, but after a short while, it is no longer contaminated and friendly troops can move in and conquer it.

quote:Quote from Captain_Ben:

but isn't another reason for nuclear bombs being so powerful because when they explode, a kind of radioactive powder floats around and away from the bomb blast?
i think something like that happened in russia in the 1980's and there was a mass evacuation and clean up, etc

That radioactive powder is called fallout, and I described it a tad in my above post. What happens is during a nuclear explosion, the blast makes the surrounding dirt, dust, and debris radioactive, but the blast aslo flings it miles away. And the dust floats, is carried by the wind, carried by moisture in clouds, and travels all over, dropping and mildly contaminating surrounding areas.

It also happens during a nuclear reactor meltdown, like in a power plant, which is what happend in that place you talked about, except it wasn't in russia, it was in Ukraine (At the time is was U.S.S.R., anyway), and it was Chyrnobyl (like the CTF map). During a nuclear meltdown, the reactor gets really, really, really hot. This happens when the reaction is not controlled and happens too fast, usually by a series of mechanical and human failures. This is usually not explosive unless a hydrogen bubble builds in the reactor building or some other kind of secondary explosion flings radioactive material. A nuclear explosion in a reactor is extremely unlikely becuase the reaction just can't happen fast enough (which is what makes the nuclear bomb work, a REALLY fast reaction).

What usually causes the most contamination during a reactor meltdown is that the superheated core melts, along with the uranium rods and everything, through the bottom of the core, the building, the concrete foundation, and through the ground untill it hits groundwater. When it hits groundwater, this insanely hot mass turns a huge amount of water into steam, instantly. Since the steam is underground, it doean't have enough places to go, so it spreads all through the ground and burtsts forth in weak spots in the ground in the surrounding lands. Cracks of hot, radioactive steam jet upwards through roads, buildings, farmland, parking lots, and shower the city in radioactive water (which as this point, it's considered fallout). The water is carried in clouds, goes into the surrounding water systems, steams, lakes, rivers, and contaminates the water for hundreds of miles around.

AerialAssault
February 6, 2005, 7:38 pm
gee wiz lieroguy, that sounds awful!

Cookie.
February 7, 2005, 5:09 am
the radiation from it was noticed around the whole northern hemisphere from Chernobyl not to a significant degree however.. most of it all was concentrated in Ukraine and Belarus though

Judge_Man
February 7, 2005, 5:03 pm
What about a bomb that create mini-controlled black holes?? Wouldn't it pwn??

HAHahaha kidding.