( search forums )
Modified damage servers - where?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
February 2, 2005, 1:39 pm

Well, it's been a month since the release of 2.2.4, and 2 weeks since 2.2.5 which allowed modified servers without a pass.

Where are they? Wasn't there supposed to be a mad domination of this experimental server that'd ruin Soldat?

DeMonIc
February 2, 2005, 1:47 pm
SuS has been running since a month..where's the domination of fun games?
Things take time, and I guess while the weapon editor comes with the dedicated server, a lot of servers will stay on their normal status, since some hosts use the default dedi servers.

Aquarius
February 2, 2005, 1:53 pm
Don't be arrogant Chakra.

I'm waiting for more advanced/sophisticated weapon editor, it will destroy Soldat, hahaha!

Michal Marcinkowski
February 2, 2005, 2:03 pm
Yeah I wanted to ask the same thing. Has anyone come up with the perfect weapon damage balance?

N1nj@
February 2, 2005, 2:37 pm
maybe cause they are all passworded.

Hektik Sniper
February 2, 2005, 2:51 pm
Cold Fusion has been working on a set for TNL, which seem to be quite liked. They are here: http://www.tnl.org.uk/TNL/weapons.ini

Taxista
February 2, 2005, 3:04 pm
I think that balance is very good as i said before.

[S][K]Taxi

KnOt
February 2, 2005, 3:43 pm
Why is AK - 113 .. ? And all the other autos are a lot less..

Meandor
February 2, 2005, 3:47 pm
Knot, values are relative, it doesn't mean anything.
And well, just like every idiot got a (absolutely normal) server, but not me :(
There are quite a few things i'd like to do with it.

Melba
February 2, 2005, 3:57 pm
This was all a part of Michal's genius plan to get people to realize that there is no such thing as a perfect weapon balance.

Cold Fusion
February 2, 2005, 5:06 pm
The SW server is kindly running my weapon mod which is in v0.4 so far, so I can try and receive feedback on a larger scale.

As it has been said before, the weapon damage values on their own will help, but with the rest of the possible variables, it can be made much better.

For example, changing one weapon by one single point means it kills in 6 instead of 8/9 hits etc. But it's all about trying to get the feel of it. I can't do much with the one hit kill weaps as they're supposed to be one hit.

More feedback is always welcome, but the vast majority of people have been positive.

peemonkey
February 2, 2005, 6:24 pm
michal, make it an outside program, so i cant try it with my bots :P (i never could get the dedicated server stuff to work)

AerialAssault
February 2, 2005, 7:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiYeah I wanted to ask the same thing. Has anyone come up with the perfect weapon damage balance?
dont listen to those nay-sayers. 1.2.1 IS perfect weapon damage balance.

Hektik Sniper
February 2, 2005, 8:17 pm
if you dont like competitive play maybe.

Karvinen
February 2, 2005, 9:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by peemonkeymichal, make it an outside program, so i cant try it with my bots :P (i never could get the dedicated server stuff to work)
There is already external "weapon editor", it's called notepad.exe

peemonkey
February 2, 2005, 9:50 pm
but you need a working ded server. dont get cocky.

Will
February 3, 2005, 11:27 am
lol, funny you should say this. i was on a server an hour ago and ALL autos had barret damage, and the barret didnt even hurt...

frigging n00bs

Cookie.
February 3, 2005, 4:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by MelbaThis was all apart of Michal's genius plan to get people to realize that there is no such thing as a perfect weapon balance.

Michal Wins!! Barret shall rule till the end of time nyargg!

KnOt
February 4, 2005, 5:26 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiYeah I wanted to ask the same thing. Has anyone come up with the perfect weapon damage balance?

..I just noticed that.. He's gettin his own back with us.. For all of us whining at him about the weapon balance :) .. 'The perfect weapon damage balance' .. *Cackles*

Ok
February 5, 2005, 3:38 am
Recipe to get a great weapons balance:
1- take 10 players who-
A: Have been playing this game for more then a year and are STILL active in the clan world.
B: Don't have a prefered weapon. (meaning they don't play with just 1 or 2 weapons most of the time)
C: All are over the age of 18 (less childish , less occupied about ruling the game and a bit more reasonble).
D: All have a good ping and connection ADSL/Cable + ping less then 50 (in the servers they play mostly).

2- then make each player play each weapon for a week! in publics in clanswars and in Deathmatches.(maybe make some players play DMs and other CTF publics and the rest Clanwars)

3- At the end of each week ask all those players what weapons they found hard to beat the most.

after all the players played with all the weapons you can nerrow the statistics and get a very good view about what weapons were the hardest to beat and what is the counter weapon to each one.

Then by the statistics you've got you just make the weapons that gave those 10 players the most problems a bit weaker!

Difference betwin the former system (beta testers) to this:
Active players! (Chakra for example is far from being active yet was a beta tester for 1.2.1 thus didnt realize the effect of the bink and autos over the clan wars)

You REDUCE power from overpowered weapons! you dont make the others stronger!

This system with time will create a great balance for CTF/INF atleast, you can't go wrong with this, its all about chosing the ppl who are goind to test those stuff.
And well you Michal can't really know anything about a good balance tbh. you aint playing this game enough, its not just about going in a public server and play.
its about playing it in a teamwork style when 2 autos are working together against other weapons.

'cause atm 2 autos are overpowered agaisnt any other 2 weapons used by the enemie team. and you can't find out about it by playing publics, 'cause you rarely see 2 players in public work together as one.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
February 5, 2005, 4:32 am
quote:Originally posted by Ok

You REDUCE power from overpowered weapons! you dont make the others stronger!

I agree with that much of his recipe. I remember when you used to have to "earn" a kill. I believe that all weapons are much stronger and easier than they were in the past. Soon they will all be 1 hit kill. Ridiculous...(michal wouldnt let that happen....i hope)

Green Barret
February 5, 2005, 4:46 am
I fit all the requirements for one of those 10 players you requested, OK, except im younger than 18. I'd have to say you don't have to be at least 18 to be mature.

On to the weapons testing: I play with most of the weapons all the time as the weapon i use depends on the map im playing on. I've decided to do your experiment as you said, Ok, but i only had enough time to test a weapon a day instead of a week like you said.

One weapon that i noticed was a bit difficult was the minigun because of its spin up time. However, its increased accuracy from previous versions made it a shotgun at close range, a slightly weaker AUG at mid range and a faster firing MP5. In effect, if you can use it well, its a weapon that combines the best of most weapons.
Another was the M79. It was hard to get accurate kills on moving targets. However, i found that using certain tactics most other weapons can't(usally because of the huge arc it makes) makes it usful in its own right.
Some weapons that i found more easy than the rest were the AUG and the FN Minimi because of their great range. BUT they were only easy if you could continusly keep aim on the enemy(something that is hard enough to do for most people). However, I do believe that the FN Minimi is a bit overpowered as it is almost a better AK-74 with a slower reload. In my opinion, this is the only weapon that needs a bit of tweaking.

My final thoughts: I really have to say that the weapons balance is great! No weapon is under or overpowered to a great amount and, compared to previous versions, its gotten much better. With enough practice, each weapon is powerful in its own way. The people who whine about certain weapons seem to do so because they don't it use it much.
For an example, i heard that the chainsaw was hard to kill with but upon using it, it was a easy and useful weapon if you used it right. I realised while using it was that if you want to use the chainsaw well, instead of just chasing people around with it, it's much better to use another weapon and pull out the chainsaw only in the best circimstances(like taking out snipers from the back, if an enemy in front of you is reloading etc.). I got triple kills in several maps using this tactic. Really, if you practice enough, all weapons are very useful for why you need it: killing.

Deleted User
February 5, 2005, 7:47 am
Well said, Green Barret. You've earned a point of respect around here, methinks.

I would just like to say that I wish I could find one of these WM servers. The only one I've played in had most weapons nerfed to the effect of a foam bat, and the minigun firing barrett shots.