( search forums )
It took me a lot!
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
mar77a
February 2, 2005, 10:13 pm
Well, i downloaded Dedicated Server 2.2.5, and when i tried to run it, the MS-DOS screen appeared (with some text) and closed very fast, so i couldn't see what the error was...(Fix that!)

I was like 20 mins, trying to get a screenshot of the screen, and finally read in the last screeny, "Admin password, bla bla", where it told me that the Admin_password setting was empty...I solved this, and my question is[/u]:

Why does the Dos screen shut down, instead of showing the error?

Deleted User
February 2, 2005, 10:21 pm
I believe you have to specify an admin password. The program is command-line based, I think, which means you have to use the Run command or open an MS-DOS/Command Prompt and run the program that way.

Edit: Oh yes, the program shuts down because that's the way that Windows operates. After Windows ME, Microsoft has placed less and less emphasis on DOS access and they've made the command prompt harder and less effective as a tool. It's not even really a DOS Prompt in 2K/XP.

peemonkey
February 3, 2005, 1:41 am
so why dont michal adapt and take it outta the DOSassic Period?

n00bface
February 3, 2005, 2:31 am
Because people are running the soldat server on servers without monitors or a graphical interface.

peemonkey
February 3, 2005, 3:21 am
oh yea. oops :P maybe 2 versions?
just find a was through it fangus ^

ziekke
February 3, 2005, 5:59 am
quote:Originally posted by mar77aWell, i downloaded Dedicated Server 2.2.5, and when i tried to run it, the MS-DOS screen appeared (with some text) and closed very fast, so i couldn't see what the error was...(Fix that!)

For Win9x/ME
1. click Start, Run, type command and click OK.
For Win2k/XP/2k3
1. click Start, Run, type cmd and click OK.

2. After this, just cd to the directory where you have your soldat server executable stored, and run it by typing the filename. This will run in the dos box, and if the server crashes you will see what the error message without the command prompt closing automatically.

eg:
cd c:\program files\soldat <enter>
soldatserver.exe <enter>

FliesLikeABrick
February 3, 2005, 6:36 am
mar77a, this is how programs like this run. It is not a bug, you need to run it from the console, otherwise it runs then terminates.

Michal Marcinkowski
February 3, 2005, 2:33 pm
I can fix it, so people don't get confused. Or maybe make the server to run without the admin if no password is provided.

mar77a
February 3, 2005, 10:40 pm
I guess the second one is better...but people would log...

ziekke
February 4, 2005, 11:21 am
I like the idea of allowing the server run without an admin capability. Would make it quite a bit more secure against people hacking in and banning people from misconfigured servers.