( search forums )
CTF- Up and down *updated*
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Freekill
February 3, 2005, 2:46 pm
edited 25.2.05
-------------------

Sorry for disappearing for bout 2 weeks. Things happened and i couldn't work on the map. However, i've finally finished updating it.

Overview comparison:
Old map
New map

More screens:
screen 1
screen 2
screen 3
screen 4

As you can see, the map is about 80% changed. The platforms were redesigned and polys were recoloured. I've tried to make the platforms more rounded and larger, but this caused the map to blow from about 12kb to 70kb(sorry 56kers). the ugly borders were also removed and the map is now open-ended, as i don't see how that will affect gameplay.

For colours, i've attempted to make them closer to nature(except the divider in the middle). This was the first time i've tried to shade without using the mapmaker's inbuilt "darken/lighten ventrices" function. personally, i'm quite satisfied with them. there's also a stream of water flowing down to the bottom of the two bases. As usual, i did not want to use custom scenery so the blank scenery was used. Whether it looks anything close to water, that's for you to decide.

Jumps shouldn't be too difficult. Platforms are reasonably near each other and some jet is also provided to aid you. Was trying not to make this into a climb map. Also grenades kits are no longer around. Do remember that players do spawn with their own grenades though.

its still not waypointed though.
Download and go up and down...

maybe i'll go into hiding for another 2 weeks again.....

Deleted User
February 3, 2005, 7:10 pm
Grenades are going to be an issue, I imagine.

And.. the shading.. you could've chosen less eye-searing colors, but its a nice idea for a map. Just needs a little tweaking.

7/10

Skate4Razors
February 3, 2005, 8:05 pm
I think the gameplay is gunna be unique, I'll have to try this one out. I like that it's a new concept also. ^^

dr dragon
February 3, 2005, 8:09 pm
Also, be careful in realistic.
Ouch!

grand_diablo
February 3, 2005, 10:39 pm
sickest ctf map concerning gameply, evar.

I think im gonna try this :p

Magniitude
February 3, 2005, 11:38 pm
Lol can you imagine how fun it wil be trying to get from side to side? Almost like a mini-climbing map and a ctf map put together.

Rambo_6
February 4, 2005, 12:56 am
Way too jaggedy, but i like the idea of it.

DesFS
February 4, 2005, 1:31 am
I'd be spending more time moving than fighting...

Freekill
February 4, 2005, 7:18 am
eye-searing colours? Will darkening the polygons solve that?

I plan to shift the spawn points to the top and add some arrows to point the directions in the updated one to make it faster and less confusing. Anything else i missed?

I don't think grenades will be a big issue since there's many platforms shielding the players. But I'll reduce the number of grenade kits just in case.

mar77a
February 4, 2005, 9:20 pm
Mmm, okey, some constructive critism:
1) Don't let the people see where the map ends (widen the sides polys).
2) The colors are good and original, thought the red and blue are highly contrasting the dark colors you have used.
3) Remove the "fog", for some Barbwire.bmp .
4) Switch to another texture, maybe darker.

zambo_the_clown
March 1, 2005, 2:50 am
ill waypoint it for you cuz i only play with bots....

on second thought, this may take awhile. right now im waypointing a map for one of my friends. ill try tho cuz this is a challenge

zambo_the_clown
March 1, 2005, 2:59 am
quote:Originally posted by zambo_the_clownill waypoint it for you cuz i only play with bots....

on second thought, this may take awhile. right now im waypointing a map for one of my friends. ill try tho cuz this is a challenge and i dont think this is a map not for bots since it is so complex with all the small platform and the platforms being so close with little jet usage. it would take alot of waypoints and waypoint editing to get them to just be able to get to the other teams flag with some troubles.

sorry for the double post i hit the wrong button instead of edit by accident

Freekill
March 1, 2005, 3:24 am
I understand your situation ^_^
The only time you'll see waypoints on this is when someone learns how to waypoint a bot thru a climbmap ^_^