( search forums )
Dont know if its posted somewhere, but..
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Deleted User
February 3, 2005, 11:19 pm
I have a few suggestions, harhar.

-Highres textures
A seperate folder called 'highres' where USERS, not the original creators, can put their own highres, seemingly useless textures (useless as you can barely tell what they are anyway.) Highres textures would have to be same size-ish sortof thing.like.. if the texture was 64x64 it could be.. 128x128, 512x512, etc. You know what I mean. (e.g. C:\Soldat\Highres\Weapons-gfx\Mp5.png)
-I had another idea but I guess it slipped my mind..lesse..
Ah, yes! Another idea was expanding cursor, depending on realisticmode recoil, the players cursor would expand etc, semi-dumb but I'd like it, at least.
-oh and I just remembered a few, sorry!
map background, a picture that just stayed fixed in the center of the screen that moved with the player behind everything in the level
-mm..I'm thinking MAYBE a laserline-sight sorta thing for that annoying sniper, so people at least have a chance to run the hell away before dying. (You know..how HL2 had a blue laserline for the combine snipers)

MOFO NOFO
February 5, 2005, 12:30 am
the curser DOES expand, ever heard of bink?

i like the map background idea, but guess what? ITS CALLED SCENERY...

lol a laser sight, anotherwa to make barretards better -.-, more likely you die before you even SEE a laser.

Deleted User
February 5, 2005, 1:06 am
Bink is for when you're being shot, not while you're shooting, I'd like to see in cursor-form how high my recoil is before continuing to fire o.O

Scenery doesnt stay in place with the camera, yeah its true you can just use a big picture in the background but I dont like how they just..stay there.

And the laserline thing wouldnt be that bad. Its just like the 'sniper line' but other people would be able to see it.

Captain Ben
February 5, 2005, 1:32 am
i like the laser sight, but i don't really think it would help much... no, seriously!

Deleted User
February 5, 2005, 2:05 am
I think it would, because..imagine someone waiting for you..it wouldnt be hard to miss a big bright red line pointing to where they're aiming XD and if they try to follow you with their aim and happen to be not spastic lucky nublets it'd be easier to jump/fly away-ish. o.o Unless they get a small lead on you which would ..yeah the thought-train crashed. Anyway this's probably my last post in the topic, just wanted you guys to hear my ideas XD I hope you like them?

peemonkey
February 5, 2005, 2:48 am
the resilution thing makes no [IMAGE]ing sense. you know you can change the textures already, right?

we dont need a laser pointer. hell, they're damn near pointless on an M82A1 anyway...

it's easy to kill someone who has a barrett, just wait.

Deleted User
February 5, 2005, 4:25 am
it DOES make sense in the fact that:
-Most cant express their artistic 'talents' in 12 x 6 images
-More detail, in otherwords
It DOESNT because?
-You dont notice small details
-Again 'small' as in..you can barely tell what they are ingame

Its just that small bit of detail that I'd like to see. Remember I mean they should be OPTIONAL, as in, if theres not a highres say like 24 x 12 mp5.bmp in the highres folder, the game would use the original 12 x 6 mp5.bmp instead.

And again..the laserline wouldnt be there to help the person WITH the sniper..actually in a way it would since its just like the option 'sniper line' but, it would be there to help the to-be victim of the sniper. Anyway, yeah, I'm done here. Read it, understand it, know it.
Peace!

Unlucky 13
February 5, 2005, 5:44 am
Your suggestion with the camera wise image is the best of those. I really think it can move a bit thou, slow, but still a bit.

peemonkey
February 5, 2005, 5:57 am
i dont know what you're talking about still. there's no 12x6 textures in the soldat folder. please explain totally what the hell you're saying from the begining.

Deleted User
February 5, 2005, 7:18 am
lol, okay, I mean like.. (about the highresolution things) say like, go into Weapons-gfx, then find barretm82.bmp, now you'll see the x and y dimensions are 20 x 5, my idea was, in the Soldat folder, if there existed say a..
C:\Soldat\Highres\Weapons-gfx\barretm82.bmp / (or .png, .tga, etc)
That was say, about.. 80 x 20 (this is x4 the original size of the pic)
The game would read that instead, and shrink it down (in-game) to the size of 20 x 5 (The size of the original barretm82.bmp) but sitll maintaining the big image, as in, you'd have a very sexy weapon in a small compact form. The weapon would look better instead of looking like a bunch of tiny pixels put together to resemble a stick with a bananashaped handle(Clip) and small stub in the back :P I admit its not the best idea but still, I really like small details like this.

Highres pictures would have to match the size of the originals, or the game would try to cram it into the size of the original, thus making it look stretched or something.

PS: Didn't your guardians ever teach you not to [IMAGE]ing cuss in front of a lady? XD

Deleted User
February 5, 2005, 7:34 am
Or, you could just draw the weapons in the original form. I hate to say it, but when you shrink an image down to such a small number of pixels, it doesn't matter if it was 1000x1000 or 20x10,.. the end result is going to be what you see in your image folders already. It might be nice for the textures, but I doubt it will work for weapons/gosteks/etc.