( search forums )
Help me find a game i can play :\
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
blackdevil0742
February 5, 2005, 7:55 pm
I'm looking for a strategy or RPG game that works on my old computer.
I've searched google but didn't find any interesting games that worked. Can you give me suggestions on games that are good and that works on my computer (Also if you can: Please give me a link for a demo version so i can check if it works).

operationg system - Win XP
RAM - 64
Speed - 533 MHz
Graphics card: Intel(R)82810E Graphics Controller Total memory: 32.0MB

Denacke
February 5, 2005, 8:09 pm
what the...
windows xp on 64 mb ram? use windows 98 se, that will run muuuch better on your pc.

Alamo
February 5, 2005, 8:21 pm
Try Ultima Online... the queen of MMORPGs.

Chakra
February 5, 2005, 8:48 pm
check www.the-underdogs.org ...'the' site for old games. My PC is only a little better than yours though the same graphics card, so I can reccomend sci-fi classic System Shock 2 (beautiful game. Horrific too. Still scares me), Elder Scrolls: DaggerFall - a insanely huge and incredibly nerdilicious RPG, and pretty much anything else well reviewed on that site.

Deleted User
February 5, 2005, 8:52 pm
System Shock 2? Dear lord, I cannot begin to comprehend the amount of fear that game puts into my heart. Hydroponics! HYDROPONICS!

Speaking of which, I have a 2 CD compilation of System Shock 2 : The complete CD with sound and music, and a bonus disc with the patch, all the texture upgrades and model enhancements, and even several different cracks and fixed executables to try for both Windows NT/XP/2000 and Windows 95/98/ME. If you like, I could make a copy and find some way to get them to you.

Chakra
February 5, 2005, 8:57 pm
Yeah theres a website for a mod that offers more up-to-date texture and model enhancements. Doubt it'd run on his poor pc though...doubt it'd go well on mine either.

Hydroponics was a breeze compared to sifting through the cargo area, and the living quarters. All those god damn eggs. I played it multiplayer a few times now (dodgy saving system on multi, beware) and it's still bloody scary. Alone though...never.

?
February 5, 2005, 9:44 pm
Alamo is wrong Ultima Online is crap.. EA has no busniess taking that game form osi.. Get Ultima Online Gateway (playerrun servers)... no crappy patches and whatnot.. Ultima Online can burn.. Gateway is forever!

Tha Doggfather
February 5, 2005, 9:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by ChakraYeah theres a website for a mod that offers more up-to-date texture and model enhancements. Doubt it'd run on his poor pc though...doubt it'd go well on mine either.

Hydroponics was a breeze compared to sifting through the cargo area, and the living quarters. All those god damn eggs. I played it multiplayer a few times now (dodgy saving system on multi, beware) and it's still bloody scary. Alone though...never.

I tried SS 2 a couple of months ago. Played it for just a while, stopped when i came to this hallway where an endless tie of zombies kept spawning... I couldn't get away, they just kept coming. Is that normal or was it some kind of bug?

Reminded me of Deus Ex (one of the best games i ever played). You might want to try that game, blackdevil.

AerialAssault
February 5, 2005, 9:58 pm
EA's monopoly on the video game industry is taking every game from everyone ?.

Deleted User
February 5, 2005, 10:03 pm
That's normal, Doggfather. There's a part where about 5-10 of the Many come rushing at you with shotguns and lead pipes and yes, by some act of God, you must kill them all. However this is later in the game and you're given warning before they approach. If you set off an alarm, you can expect a great deal of trouble since everyone on that deck knows exactly where you are. ='[

Hydroponics scared me so badly because that was the first time I had seen the cybernetic midwives.. I was standing near a window when one came about the other side and started shooting her stuff at me. I stepped through the doorway to introduce her to my wrench.. and that's when I saw.. err.. yeah.

I would love to hook up with some of you guys and dish out some multiplayer action together. I go Navy with a talent for hacking and standard weapons with enough agility to practically run up a wall. What about you guys?

Edit: If you want a bit more information about System Shock 2 and a nice place to find all the files you need, visit http://www.timmymagic.com and choose the System Shock 2 Information Hub link. They've got forums, files, and a great deal of walkthroughs, hints, cheats, and fan-made work such as music and pictures too.

?
February 5, 2005, 10:04 pm
Aye they just need to stick to sports games... thats all they are good at

Deleted User
February 5, 2005, 10:30 pm
If releasing the same game with new menu graphics every years is being "good at", then things must be pretty messed up.

AerialAssault
February 5, 2005, 11:31 pm
VILLE! NOES! they update teh r0ster too! and new GAME MODEZ! LOL!

Magniitude
February 6, 2005, 3:21 am
An emulator and roms are all you need.

BManx2000
February 6, 2005, 4:39 am
At the risk of stating the obvious, Nethack.

Deleted User
February 6, 2005, 6:38 am
Don't forget Rogue. Rogue is the ancestor of all Rogue-like games.. obviously.

Meandor
February 6, 2005, 4:48 pm
I want system shock 3 :(

blackdevil0742
February 6, 2005, 4:58 pm
quote:what the...
windows xp on 64 mb ram? use windows 98 se, that will run muuuch better on your pc.
yes i know but i have some progs and hardware that requires XP
quote:Try Ultima Online... the queen of MMORPGs.
Naa, I don't feel like playing MMORPGs' right now
quote:check www.the-underdogs.org ...
Thanks Chakra i found some interesting games :p

I can't get SS2 to work. I get a error message: ERROR: Direct3d device driver does not accurately report texture memory usage. Contact your 3d accelerator vendor for updated drivers.
(when i choose new game and it's done loading)

Why didn't i think of elderscrolls?? I played morrowind at my friends computer and it was damn good.

Deus Ex...gonna check that one.

Chakra do you know where i can find drivers for the graphic card? I thogt that i downloaded a driver but it was only a accelerator prog...

peemonkey
February 6, 2005, 5:19 pm
find out who your graphics card was made by and look on thier site for drivers. if that doesnt yeild results, email someone from the companty and tell them your prediciment

EDIT: hmm...i get that error too :P did you torrent-whore like me? :P
HALP

Deleted User
February 6, 2005, 8:33 pm
Let me check Timmy-magic. They have an answer to that direct3d Issue. I'll edit the post once I find the answer.

Check this link here:
http://www.timmymagic.com/sshock2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=129&highlight=direct3d+error&sid=17a37c3a0cdf5f28b8959c636a40804d

And if that doesn't help, this here:
http://www.timmymagic.com/sshock2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=135&highlight=direct3d+error&sid=17a37c3a0cdf5f28b8959c636a40804d

They have files on timmy-magic that fix those errors as well, fixed executables and a patch to the game. If you patch it, you may need the no-cd crack to play. It should already be patched though.

If you can't access the downloads, PM me and I can send you my login info.

n00bface
February 6, 2005, 9:13 pm
WAREZ'RS, STOP!!!

DT
February 6, 2005, 10:01 pm
ADOM

Chakra
February 6, 2005, 11:19 pm
http://www.intel.com/design/software/drivers/platform/810.htm?iid=ipp_810echpst+body_drivers&

this is for you, driver boy. I personally have the 815 chipset (as apposed to your humble 810) but these drivers are for us, brother.

Deleted User
February 6, 2005, 11:59 pm
I have that same graphic controller in my old PC. I remember how horrible it was trying to get some games to work. -_-,

peemonkey
February 7, 2005, 12:09 am
it wont patch it, it wants it in another directory. lame :(
ill try to finagle it to work...

simply type "safe_texture_manager" in the shock.cfg file on it's own line, no quotes.

this game is [IMAGE]ing scary!!! ahh!!

Deleted User
February 7, 2005, 1:30 am
System Shock 2 will devour your soul. I still can't stop playing it even though it scares me practically to death.

Judge_Man
February 7, 2005, 4:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by blackdevil0742
RAM - 64
Speed - 533 MHz

You can actually LIVE with this computer!?!?!?!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

DT
February 7, 2005, 5:33 pm
mines worse...
windows 2000
*GASP*

blackdevil0742
February 7, 2005, 7:06 pm
Thanks Chakra for the link :D
and thank you Lapis_Lazuli. I got it to work

quote:Originally posted by Judge_Manquote:Originally posted by blackdevil0742
RAM - 64
Speed - 533 MHz

You can actually LIVE with this computer!?!?!?!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

It's better no computer at all... If i'm lucky i'll get a new one in two moths :P

peemonkey
February 7, 2005, 7:28 pm
i'd recommend gta2, but i dont know the req's. they're pretty low, but it might be too much for your machine. game's still hella fun :P

blackdevil0742
February 7, 2005, 8:41 pm
The computer isn't that bad^^
I borrowed GTA2 from a friend some time ago...maybe i should get it.

Judge_Man
February 8, 2005, 12:31 am
Yeah GTA2 is a lots of fun Oh yeah its fun. GTA1 too hahaha its SOOO old!

Magniitude
February 8, 2005, 1:59 am
You can get GTA1 for free now.

peemonkey
February 8, 2005, 3:55 am
gta2 is free from rockstar's website now :D or you can get it from a mirrored site, which is more than likely legal. it's a fun game, but i just got vice city form mah PC, and ill prolly never play gta2 again XD

Green Barret
February 8, 2005, 4:06 am
http://www.cgarchive.com/ <--- Real oldies there. Get a emulator and try out the real anient classics.
Also has some more modern games which you can download if you sign up.

Boxo
February 8, 2005, 6:22 am
Some roguelikes here. Once you get into these, you won't be worrying about other games anymore :)

http://www.t-o-m-e.net
Troubles of Middle Earth, a Tolkien kind of roguelike with a huge world
http://www.adom.de/
Ancient Domains of Mystery, which you've probably heard about
http://slashem.sourceforge.net/
Slash'em, an extended version of Nethack. A bit harder and a lot more interesting.
http://www.dungeoncrawl.org/
Don't have much experience with this, but a bit different roguelike, focusing more on survival strategy.

Be sure to RTFM.

BManx2000
February 8, 2005, 3:11 pm
Hmm, since you said strategy, I'll also recommend Total Annihilation. You still have to buy it, but it's cheap. It worked on my old P166 back in the day, so it WILL work on yours.

blackdevil0742
February 13, 2005, 1:55 pm
I just ordered Age of empires 1 Gold and Worms United for 16$.
What do you guys think?

MOFO NOFO
February 13, 2005, 2:44 pm
i got age of empires 1 for free in a cereal box o.O (coco pops :P)

STEELIX
February 13, 2005, 4:06 pm
Ever tried playing gta2 over LAN? Great fun :)

KeyesBlob
February 13, 2005, 4:33 pm
You should try Marathon 2: Durandural. It is made by the same guys who made Halo, and can run on about any PC that is Win98 or higher with a fast as hell frame rate. It is sort of a cross between Halo and the original DOOM. It has pixels instead of polygons, but it is much prettier than the original DOOM. One of the first FPS games to have friendly AI.

You can find it on the underdogs website.

LazehBoi
February 18, 2005, 3:01 am
Age of Wonders isn't bad... It's a turn-based fantasy game... It's unique, but not the greatest. I think the first one has really low specs.

Also, I think SS2 became abandonware after a while. That's why it's on the Underdogs.

blackdevil0742
February 20, 2005, 11:37 am
Gta2 over lan??? Sounds fun.
I'll look at this Marathon 2: Durandural game.
AoW i've played it, it was OK

I just played AoE 1 with a friend with 2 other guys, man i rocked my tactic was so good.

If i only could Soldat to work again :/