( search forums )
Total wierdness
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
The Geologist
February 7, 2005, 4:10 am
Okay...I'm already thinking I have a trojan or some kind of funky program on my comp, but perhaps some of you can help.

I was sitting here, sorking on a map with the latest versio nof MapMaker plus, when all of a sudden my mouse went out of control...programs opened up, the start menu popped up and was scrolling through programs...total chaos.

Even when I regained control of the mouse, I couldn't use it..moving the mouse around seemed to open and close stuff. Everything was off. Anyone know what I can do or have any programs that will help remove what could be messign with my comp? Any help is appreciated..

paramud
February 7, 2005, 4:17 am
adaware is pretty good....

The Geologist
February 7, 2005, 4:29 am
Anything free? I'm a little tight on cash...

Cookie.
February 7, 2005, 4:58 am
adaware is free ^__^ ?

avast is good too but justa s virus scanner

Deleted User
February 7, 2005, 4:59 am
Adaware is free, and works like a charm. http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Spybot, Search and Destroy is a great application as well. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Trojan Guarder is great for trojans, and will help you with that. Do a search for it on Download.com Use the free version to remove the trojan and you're good. http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?qt=trojan+guarder&tg=dl-2001&search.x=&search.y=&search=+Go%21+

AVG Anti-Virus is free and will cover any other bases left unchecked. http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

Cookie.
February 7, 2005, 5:10 am
avg sucks.... ive found that avast could only get rid of all the viruses avg couldnt ;)

Milkman Dan
February 7, 2005, 5:14 am
Geo, you sure you werent just doing remote access on msn or something!?

Vijchtidoodah
February 7, 2005, 5:16 am
Get HijackThis, it'll tell you everything that's running on your system and let you delete it easily...If you don't know what the programs are, I'll direct you somewhere where you can post your HijackThis log and they'll help you.

The Geologist
February 7, 2005, 5:51 am
Wow, thanks a lot for all the help guys. Trying out adaware and seeing how that helps, I'll move on to various suggestions from there. ^_^

Yeah, adaware is free...I just went down the wrong path and found an upgrade that would cost me $26.

Currently using Adaware SE personal, thanks LL. I found it moments before your post ^_^

Edit: Yes Dan, very sure. I was just using map maker.

Tha Doggfather
February 7, 2005, 12:47 pm
Are you using an optical or a laser mouse, they can sometimes freak out. Was playing doom 3 with my xm1000 a couple of months back, thing went berserk, made my point of view spin around all the time, random fire,... Turned out it was a little dust in the lens.

But if it really went through the start menu and opened up programs, then it's most likely a trojan/virus.

Chakra
February 7, 2005, 4:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahGet HijackThis, it'll tell you everything that's running on your system and let you delete it easily...If you don't know what the programs are, I'll direct you somewhere where you can post your HijackThis log and they'll help you.

Oh so very good.

The Geologist
February 7, 2005, 6:21 pm
Nah, just a regular ball mouse Doggfather...thanks for the input though. I'm going to get my comp ready to post my Hijack This log up after clearing things out with the various programs they recommend.

peemonkey
February 7, 2005, 7:30 pm
lol! i have verything lapis posted links to already :P they're all great proggys, and have saved this PC numerous times

Milkman Dan
February 8, 2005, 3:28 am
:O geos mouse has balls?!

Gen0cide
February 9, 2005, 4:30 am
Lmao.My mouse has one ball.It had a tragic accident..the printer ended up in prison.Thats as much as I'm saying.

The Geologist
February 9, 2005, 5:17 am
Alright...a little update to this.

I ran some of the mentioned programs, and found/removed/fixed a few things, and I was thinking everything was fine and dandy. I was still going to (and still might) finish up with that HiJackThis site, but we'll see. Here's the deal.

It happened again. I was trying to scoll with my mouse and all of a sudden, bam...it started freaking out, programs opened, WinRAR arctually opened this time as well and attempted to compress a file I believe. Anyhow, when I ragained control I closed what was a failed attempt to use WinRAR and proceeded to once again use some of the programs mentioned.

This time, however, I disconnected from the internet. And then I experienced the problem a third time minures later.

Can things mess with your computer like that when you're not connected? Is it a trojan/program, or maybe just the results of a faulty mouse? Any help would be appreciated.

DT
February 9, 2005, 5:58 am
damn thats spookie.... unless you got systemrestore/backup your screwed...
could be your mouse or keyboard going insane...

The Geologist
February 9, 2005, 6:30 am
That's what I'd really like to know. If it's trouble with my mouse, I won't worry about it and I can fix it.

I was offline when this happened the third time...does that mean anything? Because I wasn't hooked up to the itnernet when my comp freaked out, I'm thinking it might be something mouse related...maybe it just goes nuts and moves, clicks stuff, opens stuff...does that happen? Anyone?

blackdevil0742
February 9, 2005, 6:41 am
Maybe your mouse is broken or there is dust in it. Try a different mouse, borrow from a friend to se if this happend again.

The Geologist
February 9, 2005, 6:44 am
Thank you - I take it by your responce that this type of problem could indeed be caused by my mouse? (I remembered what Doggfather had said, but I have moderately old mouse, so I figured any of the laser oriented implications didn't apply).

Vijchtidoodah
February 9, 2005, 6:55 am
No way, your mouse wouldn't open up programs and stuff. Dust would just interfere with the ball, but nothing else. Double check that it's properly plugged in, just to be sure.

BTW, have you gotten any help with HJT yet?

blackdevil0742
February 9, 2005, 6:58 am
If you've used the progs they told you to use and it still goes crazzy then i think that it can be the mouse. I've seen a mouse go crazy but only with the scroll wheel(and i only had to clean it). ....(Also i've got a freaky PlayStation controller that has gone mad, it presses all the buttons all the time.)

Not only optical mouses freak out

I'm only trying to help ya :*

The Geologist
February 9, 2005, 7:03 am
Vij - Gonna post up my HJT log either tonight or tomorrow after I go through all the steps before posting. Also, if it's not my mouse that's the issue, how is it possible for me to experience these problems after disconnecting from the internet? Maybe some sort of program?

Thanks black...I'm a bit of a lamen at this stuff at times, so I don't know a mouse problem from a potential threat.

Edit: Happened a fourth time now..I'm beginning to think it's my mouse. Even though programs open up and stuff, I notice when the problem starts and it seems as though moving my mouse around the screen causes things to open up...if I stop moving my mouse, nothing happens and nothing else opens up. Does that make anything clearer as to if this coudl be a mouse-only issue?

Milkman Dan
February 9, 2005, 8:16 am
Geo i have 2 words for you: refor mat

m00`
February 9, 2005, 8:20 am
refor isnt a word :o

The Geologist
February 9, 2005, 2:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by Milkman DanGeo i have 2 words for you: refor mat

Yea yea :/ I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but I can always reformat my stuff if need be.

DeMonIc
February 9, 2005, 3:09 pm
How about trying to use a new mouse?And save your maps on a cd if you reformat..incase the internet looses all data ;D

Meandor
February 9, 2005, 4:16 pm
i replaced your mouse ball with a guinea pig

The Geologist
February 9, 2005, 4:24 pm
That'd make sense, lol.

The only thing that wierds me out is that it happened while I was offline (modem disconnected) as well...does that mean anything, or am I just thinking too much?

Deleted User
February 9, 2005, 4:44 pm
Guinea pigs move around even if you are offline, silly.

BManx2000
February 9, 2005, 7:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by The Geologist
The only thing that wierds me out is that it happened while I was offline (modem disconnected) as well...does that mean anything, or am I just thinking too much?

It means (assuming that it is not caused by the mouse) that your computer is infected with a virus (as opposed to being hacked).

Deleted User
February 9, 2005, 9:08 pm
The only way to know for sure is to replace the mouse. If the problem persists, it is a software (virus/trojan/etc) issue. If not, then keep the mouse. =P