( search forums )
A (possible?) way to lower pings
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
SuperKill
February 9, 2005, 2:29 pm
i was thinking about it for a long time now..
is it possible to somehow set the priority of soldat to higher (or highest) ?
as in - "invest" all of the possible bandwith (upstream\downstream) into soldat.
is that action possible in any way? any related program that does it?

if this is the way it works already then i'm sorry, my knowledge in this area is not very high. ;F

[EDIT]

i dont know if this has anything to do with it, but i tried setting the priority of soldat to "above normal" (through ctrl+alt+del), but the computer got very unstable and could bearly go back into soldat.

anyway.. in other words: is there any way to change the bandwith's priorities?
cause right now it looks like this
[IMAGE]
yellow square - surfing through internet explorer.
green square - couple of minutes of playing soldat.
if i'm not mistaken, surfing through internet explorer is on a much higher banwith priority than playing soldat (?).
or am i wrong?

SuperKill
February 9, 2005, 4:56 pm
bump :@

Denacke
February 9, 2005, 5:42 pm
You can also just edit, that's a cooler way of bumping.

On topic: I haven't seen anything like it yet :(

AerialAssault
February 9, 2005, 5:58 pm
SK, thats because the priority you speak of isnt bandwith, its processor.

SuperKill
February 9, 2005, 6:04 pm
no duh, i was just looking for every possible solution.

denacke - editing a thread doesnt bump it as far as i remember. ;P
yep.. it does ;<

Deleted User
February 9, 2005, 8:08 pm
Yes it does.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
February 9, 2005, 9:03 pm
download a program called gamehike. it puts as much speed towards one program as possible. Ill send it to you if you want. Just pm me, and ill give you my msn address

SuperKill
February 9, 2005, 9:23 pm
thanks alot Mike~! i'll go search that right now.
[edit]
the program wont do anything unless i'm registered :/

N1nj@
February 9, 2005, 9:42 pm
Post a link to it if you found it please

b00stA
February 10, 2005, 3:43 pm
Regarding the EDIT in SK's post:
You're wrong.
This has nothing to do with priority. When browsing around you try to receive files, most importantly images. The server usually tries to send it to you as fast as possible and you receive it as fast as possible.
When you play Soldat, only the data you need is sent/received. There's a steady stream of updates.
Basically that graph shows that Soldat uses less bandwidth than it could with your connection.

As long as you don't have any programs sending/receiving (lots of) data while running Soldat, Soldat will use your connection bandwidth as much as it needs.
No priority thing in this case.

FliesLikeABrick
February 10, 2005, 4:08 pm
lag is one thing. ping is something else. ping is directly related to distance. The only way to lower ping is to get on a more dedicated connection... t1/t3/optical of sorts. lag is more related to server/client response times. The only times you see pings skyrocket because of CPU usage is in extreme cases where the computer is too busy even to respond to a simple ping-pong type request

basically:
ping is the quickest response time for a given connection of a very small packet of information to be sent, commonly just a packet saying 'ping' and a packet saying 'pong'.

lag comes from trying to send a lot more information at once, where basically your connection or computer cant do as much as you want it to.

Maybe I will write out a post sometime explaining everything I know about networking/ping/pong, as well as TCP/UDP/Packet loss etc, and how all of them are used and effect gaming etc

Rhombus
February 10, 2005, 6:07 pm
you know ADSL cables are like what? a centimeter wide? What if we just, you know, make huuuuuuuuuge adsl cables. This way, it wont have as much resistance, and the ping will be lower, and I am full of crap.

FliesLikeABrick
February 10, 2005, 8:44 pm
well that is only something you can do in your house, and it goes for any network cable at all. The amount of resistance coming from inside your house is absolutely nothing compared to the telephone/cable wire that goes from your house to your ISP, let alone the cables that span hundreds of miles to the servers that you play on.

Making large guage wires within your house will do absolutely nothing.

DT
February 11, 2005, 3:40 pm
get dsl and optimize your connection... if everyone did that ping would be praticly gone...

Deleted User
February 11, 2005, 4:39 pm
Dial-up won't cause your ping to be any worse, DT, unless you're utilizing it improperly.

On Dial-up, you will get lag because your connection can only handle so much, but if you're just playing the game, then your ping should be fine unless the server is a far distance away.

I believe that's how it works, anyway.

FliesLikeABrick
February 11, 2005, 4:55 pm
dial up users' pings will go up quite a bit if their connection is too slow for what they are trying to do. We had someone on SkIM the other day who was on dial up and trying to download a song at the same time. Her ping was almost 10 seconds...

overall soldat is a dialup friendly game, as long as you arent going crazy and trying to do anything else at the same time

Michal Marcinkowski
February 11, 2005, 9:31 pm
The diagram shows that Soldat uses much less bandwidth than surfing through the internet. Which means Soldat is a better and safer way of spending your time with a computer ;).
Priority won't do anything because if you're just running Soldat the processor is just doing that, so there are no priorites.

Vijchtidoodah
February 11, 2005, 9:40 pm
I was just curious: How does a 2D game with a few textures and pixels be so much more laggy than a 3D game with larger levels, more players, and tons of other special effects?

CbbLe
February 11, 2005, 10:01 pm
cause the latter is made of tons of proffessional programmers with high budgets.

Denacke
February 11, 2005, 10:04 pm
so get him a high budget --> register :O

mar77a
February 11, 2005, 10:19 pm
Returning to SuperKill's topic:

There is a way of setting Soldat to High Prority. Just Dowload "Process Explorer". Download it here.

FliesLikeABrick
February 11, 2005, 10:35 pm
just be warned that changing thread priority can make it become very unstable

b00stA
February 12, 2005, 12:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahI was just curious: How does a 2D game with a few textures and pixels be so much more laggy than a 3D game with larger levels, more players, and tons of other special effects?

Soldat and 3D shooters don't really differ that much.
Both have to send the player's position, which direction he is moving right now, where is the flag warping to, where are the medikits, who is shooting where with what weapon?
I tried to do an extremely simple 2D multiplayer game myself and it's a pain in the ass to synchronize stuff etc. while still trying to reduce the used bandwidth.
quote:Originally posted by mar77a
There is a way of setting Soldat to High Prority. Just Dowload "Process Explorer". Download it here.

That's CPU priority. You can do the same by opening Windows' Task manager and right clicking on Soldat.exe
This probably increases your frame rate, but has nothing to do with lag/bandwidth/ping or whatever.

(Still, Process Explorer is neat :)