( search forums )
polygons!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Captain Ben
February 12, 2005, 3:04 pm
i'm not sure if i should be putting this thread here or in the maps forum, but anyways:
DESTRUCTIBLE POLYGONS!!!!11

yeah, i bet you're all excited now, so let me explain:

instead of the whole 'we should be able to blow up everything!' idea, how about if only specific polgons were destructible.

e.g. there is a ctf map that has only one tunnel leading to the other team's flag. BUT it is blocked by a big rock. so what's better than lobbing grenades at it until it breaks down? or you could just chip bits off it by shooting it.

PHYSICAL POLYGONS

as many of you may know, the map builder only lets you make you levels out of triangles. what i'm trying to say is that for this one to work, the polygon-tool would have to be able to make hexagons, octagons, etc.
now that that bits out of the way, what i meant by phsical is that the polygon reacts to its surroundings.

example:
setting the polygon to 'bloody deadly' and then rolling it down after players on a steep hill. sheer chaos!
other settings could be that they could bounce, have waypoints, etc.

implementing this would allow many new ways to play soldat.

tell me what ypu think.

i'll try to get around to posting a picture, though i'm not making any promises.

DeMonIc
February 13, 2005, 5:28 pm
Destructable polygons...well maybe, just maybe if you can tick it in the map maker, but otherwise it's pretty much useless..would they respawn?Or regenerate?o.O
I'm happy with the current polygon system, no need for decimagons and stuff like that imo.
Physical polys...well, moving polygons have been desired for a long time, it's really up to Michal now.

Alamo
February 13, 2005, 6:10 pm
I'm not sure ... but I think this would require a rewrite of the whole map thingy in Soldat because the maps are loaded at the beginning of a round and so... can't really be changed. Correct me please if I'm wrong.

Considering this I think that the work : use ratio is a bit off.

peemonkey
February 14, 2005, 1:35 am
search! yay!

_Mancer_
February 14, 2005, 2:00 am
All of these have been suggested....but I still like them.

Captain Ben
February 14, 2005, 10:39 pm
quote:Originally posted by peemonkeysearch! yay!

when i searched, i only found threads about whole destructible maps, what i meant was that only one destuctible poly could be put in to cover a wall, flag, etc.
as for the physical polys, i couldn't find anything on that.
personally i don't think the search works that well.

Wopkeuh
March 19, 2005, 10:18 am
I think this is a good idea though.... I would suggest regeneration then....

Suggestion #1
Polygons you can shoot bit by bit (hard to implement)

Suggestion #2
Polygons have hp like soldats do, hit them enough and they crumble.

The polygons can regenerate immediately, so not bit by bit.
When a soldat is too close the polygon waits till the soldat is away far enough, this prevents soldiers from getting stuck.

Captain Ben
March 19, 2005, 3:22 pm
wopkeuh, it's good you like my ideas, but i don't think it's a good idea to revive old threads...

Wopkeuh
March 19, 2005, 3:52 pm
Well, I thought of this idea, too, but I wanted to add some suggestions.
Opening a new topic about it didn't seem like a good idea to me.
If the admins mind me reviving this topic, I won't mind them locking it.

The ideas here were chipping away the polygon with a machine gun... That would mean dividing the polygon into smaller polygons and that would mean the game would be heavier to run. The giving health to a polygon seemed like a good suggestion.

Deleted User
March 19, 2005, 5:48 pm
hmm what is with network game? how do then client know were the polygon is 'broken', sure it'll send but what happen in very big maps... game slows down while loading destructed areas...

but i like it too. i like the second idia more: more options in all parts of soldat maps would be very great. (its also one point i critize in soldat: not enought options)

and...
maybe we should work out the idias better then now... so we thought about every thing... not '...would be cool' next post 'not able to do...' and so on...

and all options, idias to one topic listet on top..
i think everybody has an idia how to realize something or how something would be better...

for destructab polygone on think i saw in a game (Shrapnel) if there is something shooten it fall in it so that u have a plane ground... so u have not the problem with all the holes.

Rambo_6
March 19, 2005, 7:11 pm
How would a poly break? would it just disappear? Or would it have its own animation for breaking?

Madsniper
March 19, 2005, 7:19 pm
Would be cool if you threw a nade and it blew up, it left a mark on the ground, maybe a little hole.

Gen0cide
March 19, 2005, 7:20 pm
I like this idea,but I'm thinking there would be hacks that revolve around this..
Like instant break
Or just maphacks that let you run through it..

MercyM
March 19, 2005, 7:30 pm
No, what happens when you've destroyed everything? Start falling out from the map and respawn all the time?

Deleted User
March 19, 2005, 10:12 pm
CaptainBen allready said it :)
u can't destroy everything. u can use between destructable and undestructable... u make a border arround ur map or better arround ur path were u can go... so u can't fall aut of the map...

any questions?

Captain Ben
March 19, 2005, 11:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by Rambo_6 How would a poly break? would it just disappear? Or would it have its own animation for breaking?

i wouldn't have to be like what my first post said, it could just all explode at once, leaving a clear path