( search forums )
Ctf_S.O.J. (Updated)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
The Geologist
February 13, 2005, 1:06 am
ctf_S.cales O.f J.ustice

This will be my last ctf style map for a little while. There have been quite a few ctf maps as of late, and I like trying to keep some variety in the releases. But this isn't about me...it's about my maps.

This is a map I created very quickly. It's also my attempt at making a scenery rich map that retains the feel of an "official" Soldat map.

Here's the breakdown:
*Supports DM, CTF, point match, and rambo modes
*Good for 8-16 players
*Fully waypointed
*No huge background sceneries, but the scenery-gfx folder is a little bit. Want to make sure everyone gets the sceneries the first time around.
*Texture - Ananas3

Here's an overview

And an in game shot

Download

Scratch that...since I don't copy my bridges like someone seems to think, there's no second release planned yet.

Questions, comments? You know what to do, as usual. If anyone would like to use this in their server rotation I'd be honored as always.

Unlucky 13
February 13, 2005, 1:22 am
Yay! You took the little zip into the folder suggestion! Oh, and you should never say that you uploaded to m00`'s, he goes... psycho is a little underpowered...
Psychotically happy and showering you with glee is more to it...
Meh, nice shading, as always, the layout is interesting, and I like the centeral temple thing, it looks nice.
Rating

Downloaded, gameplay rating upcoming!

Rambo_6
February 13, 2005, 2:23 am
This map has a layout extremely similar to that of B2b.... You copied the bridge styles, removed the hole down the middle, and added more floating islands on the top. At least you made it from scratch, which i like, but you could have done some much more radical changes to the layout to make it worth the time.

Of course, I haven't played it yet... But i'm only stating the obvious.

The Geologist
February 13, 2005, 2:39 am
That's very insulting, Rambo. I don't take well to people telling me I've "copied" anything, and I'll refrain from saying what I did when I originally made this post. But I will tell you one thing.

I don't copy, I don't steal, and I don't lie. If you think I do then you should take it up with me another way, and only after you know what you're talking about. Take a closer look at the bridges in that map and b2b...you'll see they have quite a few differences.

There is only a small number of good mappers...so you could say it's a bit of respect that has me biting my tongue here. But the key to a good mapper rests in his reputation, and you've put a dent in mine today with insinuations that aren't true. You should know better. Tell me map looks similar to b2b, I knew that from the start after I zoomed out for the final layout and I can accept that. But accusing me of copying from something that looks...totally different from what is in that map..it's just unfounded and wierd.

Felix
February 13, 2005, 2:43 am
it looks like B2b a little bit.

I tryed it,I like the style,but it's to simple to get the flag with the m79 jump
you can jump by top of the map in two shots...^^

The Geologist
February 13, 2005, 2:55 am
Yeah...I was concerned about that. I didn't feel like making another boxed in map, so I went with the big scale in the middle...I thought the deadly polys would be able to keep most people from getting back and forth, but I guess I was wrong. That's something I can take into account for a second release.

Edit: I updated the map in the hopes of preventing such m79 practices :P

Deleted User
February 13, 2005, 3:17 am
It's always possible that b2b subconciously influenced you when you made this map. But anyways I think you did a good job on it, as you usually do. The only thing I don't really like about it is the texture you used, looks ugly on the stony gray parts. Also I don't like the stretched hanging plants sceneries you used, I never did like how plant sceneries looked when stretched.

The Geologist
February 13, 2005, 3:31 am
b2b didn't influence me at all. If anything, I was looking at ctf_run for inspiration in that lengthy, confined tunnel and it's creation of multiple paths and routes with the different islands. Lay off it already.

Deleted User
February 13, 2005, 3:36 am
quote:Originally posted by The Geologistb2b didn't influence me at all. Christ, lay off it already.

Just sayin'....Anyways it should work lots better with the new update. It reminds me of a giant pendulum now. Pretty cool.

_Mancer_
February 13, 2005, 3:38 am
It doesn't look like b2b at all...

Don't let these assholes tear you up Geo. Its an awesome map.

Rambo_6
February 13, 2005, 5:34 am
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistThat's very insulting, Rambo. I don't take well to people telling me I've "copied" anything, and I'll refrain from saying what I did when I originally made this post. But I will tell you one thing.

I don't copy, I don't steal, and I don't lie. If you think I do then you should take it up with me another way, and only after you know what you're talking about. Take a closer look at the bridges in that map and b2b...you'll see they have quite a few differences.

There is only a small number of good mappers...so you could say it's a bit of respect that has me biting my tongue here. But the key to a good mapper rests in his reputation, and you've put a dent in mine today with insinuations that aren't true. You should know better. Tell me map looks similar to b2b, I knew that from the start after I zoomed out for the final layout and I can accept that. But accusing me of copying from something that looks...totally different from what is in that map..it's just unfounded and wierd.

I just read my first post..

I am a bit of an asshat, eh? :P

Sorry about the part where i said you copied the stuff from B2b, I didn't mean to insult your reputation or anything like that. I zoomed out on the map in the mapmaker, and you're right, the style is extremely different from that of B2b... But that doesn't change the fact that this map is like B2b in numerous ways. The three islands connected by bridges and the bottom layout are very close to that of B2b's, which worried me at first.

I still revere you as a mapmaker, but I can't agree with every map that comes out, now can I? :P

I know your maps, and I know you can be much more original than this. The Great Wall is still one of my favourites because of the fact that it is greatly different from any other INF map i've played.

quote:Originally posted by The Mancer
Don't let these assholes tear you up, Geo.

Two words: Bite Me! (instead)

True, i may have been a bit harsh when i stated that his map is "copied", which was wrong of me, but everyone else in here expressed their concerns in a civilized manner. You sort of, I don't know, exaggerated a bit too much. What you should have said was:

quote:Originally posted by The Mancer
Don't let that asshat Rambo_6 tear you up, Geo.

I've said my part. Peace.

The Geologist
February 13, 2005, 5:39 am
Now now...lets all smokum peace pipe ;) 'tis in the past.

lol..this was actually the first result of trying to make a more non symetrical map. I'll use what I leared in this to make future maps even better.

chakapoko maker
February 13, 2005, 8:14 am
[+]
great map! i like the size of space, not big and not small. the neck of fulcrum is no problem becase there are 3 ways, and has a good scene. scenery putting have got much better. and i love the base layout, it's nicely done.

[-]
the red bridge doesn't allow players to go through it.

--
i don't think it's copied, but i can understand R_6's word. i feel default maps quite cover many of conceivable and acceptable layouts, and it's very hard to make the whole new design nowadays, especially of a ctf map. i think like that.

The Geologist
February 13, 2005, 8:21 am
quote:Originally posted by chakapoko maker

[-]
the red bridge doesn't allow players to go through it.

Yeah...instead of fixing a poly bug on the edge of that bridge, I decided to make it so you can only move through one side of the bridge instead of both. Try the left side of the bridge my friend ;D

DeMonIc
February 13, 2005, 9:31 am
I love you're scenery placement.I do.Really.Love it.
In other news, this map makes me remember ctf_maya.That map had a success because it combined the positive elements of numerous default soldat maps.This map is beautiful, and combines the positive elements of b2b and run, but it is different in quite a few ways, so it doesn't have the bad sides of those maps(enemy flagger sneaking down below, campers under the bridge, stuff like that).The map pwnz.PWNZ even.Those servers which don't use it in their map rotation, don't deserve to be mentioned ;D

GluLm
February 13, 2005, 1:27 pm
Very interesting map.
I think you could darken the green lianas a bit more because they look a bit too bright on the grey platforms.
The texture Arena3 was already in the Soldat release, don't bother adding it again. Same for some other scenery-gfx, already included.

You might think I'm weird, but I don't think it looks like ctf_B2b at all.
It feels like some of grand_diablo's maps though... with more sceneries! Bwahahaha~

It's a good idea to have let one 'normal' polygon above the bases... but you could have thought about a better way to prevent players to go on the top of the map. I mean, simply adding deadly polygons usually makes a map feel unpleasant.
I was thinking about puting a big complex rock (with optional barbwires) on each ends.
Otherwise, whatever.
Hurting polygons should be sufficient for the top part above each flag, instead of the deadly polygons.

I like this three-pathed greyish part. But the hanging platorms feel weird since the huge grey thing at the top is almost floating in the air. Details, details. ;)

Very good map!

The Geologist
February 13, 2005, 6:54 pm
Gracias.

I know the deadly polts can get a little annoying..they're in there to prevent m79 jumpers from making short work of the top part of the map, as is that large hanging gray thing. If you see the map in overview, it's meant to be part of the "scale"...while also functioning to prevent that m79 jumping.

And yes, lol..I realize some of the sceneries and the texture may be included, but I'm never sure, and lets face it...what mapper likes to hear about their map being covered in those while boxes for missing sceneries? Figured I'd cover all my bases early on to make the number of re-releases minimal.

Thanks again!

Maxx
February 13, 2005, 11:56 pm
I found this on soldatpage before I saw it here, played it, and loved it.

I didn't even think about it looking like b2b until everyone started saying that it does.
But I still don't think it looks like b2b.

Very nice.
Keep these maps of yours comin'!

P.S.--The deadly ceiling isn't a problem 'cause you almost never touch it.

Leo Da Lunerfox
February 19, 2005, 10:20 pm
Good job Geologist, you made onto Soldat Ezine's map nominations for this week. Congrats.

Darkspirit
February 20, 2005, 3:15 pm
This map doesn't look liked b2b... and about the bridges, there is no 1000 types of those. Don't let these guys tear you up for that. I think each map is inspired a little bit from another one then i think its okay than Geo uses same bridges than an other map. I love your map Geo, nice colours, easily playable and in gameplay, it's real fun. I will put this map in my server ;)