( search forums )
ctf_Equinox 2
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Vijchtidoodah
February 13, 2005, 9:00 pm
I took equinox and made some minor cannibalistic improvements on it. I didn't really post this for the map, but for the idea.

If you look at the picture below, you can see that there are two red flags and two blue, and that the tunnels to the bases have been cut off.

[IMAGE]

This makes for some very interesting gameplay and opens up a lot of new avenues for map development (unless, of course, somebody already had this idea). Only one flag will spawn at a time, but the location it goes to after a grab or a return is completely random.

I made this map purely for test reasons, but got hooked because it was so much more fun than the original. The challenge is that you almost never know which spawn point to go to in order to get the flag, and even better, which to return to once you have it.

I can see all sorts of new tactics like lining teammates up in one spawn point while the flag is at the other and then shooting the flag off it's area so that when it is returned, it is returned directly into your teammates hands and there's nothing the enemy can do.

Give it a try with a few bots (they'll go retarded on you pretty frequently because I didn't change the waypoints very much, but it's still playable), I'm sure you'll like it.

[IMAGE]

Lt. Sneezy
February 13, 2005, 9:08 pm
Wow, that's really clever. I bet it would reduce the amount of people who camp the flag.

Rambo_6
February 13, 2005, 9:20 pm
Vic, if what you say is true (about the random flag respawn), We may have on our hands a whole new style of gameplay! We could make new variations of INF and CTF with this! Rawk on!

Bravoz!

STEELIX
February 13, 2005, 9:20 pm
I'm trying to host it with some clanmates atm, I'll tell you how it was ;P

_Mancer_
February 13, 2005, 9:30 pm
You should have gotten rid of the damn buggy random polygons on this map as well....its the reason why I hate this map. All these random polygons that arent needed are there and they really screw up how you run and jump and stuff. FIX THOSE.

3rd_account
February 13, 2005, 9:58 pm
Grow up mancer. That's not even close to the point of this thread. Go away and eat like you always do.

Anyway there were quite a few bugs following this. Such as crashing on join a few times. And you could only score in the 'original' spawn point. Otherwise it was a real hoot! Wasn't it STEELIX? ;)

The Geologist
February 13, 2005, 10:03 pm
Speaking of growing up, why don't you drop the annoying fat talk and stop acting like you're 12? Hypocrite...

I like the look of the map, although I havn't tested it yet...if this map is as good as it sounds I'm looking forward to it. :D Comments on gameplay and such soon to come.

Kazuki
February 13, 2005, 10:11 pm
Haha, that's awesome. Do the flags really spawn randomly when returned? That would make this so tactical. Very cool.

LazehBoi
February 13, 2005, 10:27 pm
I knew of this already, but never knew of any interesting ways to use it. It's cool though, i'd like to see what others could do with it.

grand_diablo
February 13, 2005, 10:42 pm
I thought about more flagspawns too some time ago, but discarded the idea cause I assumed that it will not work, cause i havent seen any maps using more than one flagspawn per team.

Now THIS gives me some inspiration.

Btw., something to try:
Take the enemy flag and carry it to the second flagspawn, then selfkill. I wonder if the flag would stay there or disappear and reapper on the old flag spawn after some time.

PS: Equinox seriously needs poly debugging :P

_Mancer_
February 13, 2005, 11:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by 3rd_accountGrow up mancer. That's not even close to the point of this thread. Go away and eat like you always do.

Anyway there were quite a few bugs following this. Such as crashing on join a few times. And you could only score in the 'original' spawn point. Otherwise it was a real hoot! Wasn't it STEELIX? ;)

Grow up? What the [IMAGE]?

You arent allowed to talk anymore.

Tha Doggfather
February 14, 2005, 12:20 am
Yeah I guess my map is a bit bumpy, i suck at making maps (it's still a mystery to me how 2 of my maps got included with soldat)

I never thought about making multiple spawns for the flag, should be interesting!

Vijchtidoodah
February 14, 2005, 2:12 am
3rd, really? I didn't have any problems while I was playing...

"I thought about more flagspawns too some time ago, but discarded the idea cause I assumed that it will not work, cause i havent seen any maps using more than one flagspawn per team."
I think most of us who create maps have thought about doing this, but we all came to the same conclusion even without any proof that it wouldn't work.

Yes, the bugs do need to be fixed...if you guys find that this map really does work and isn't all buggy like 3rd account is describing, I'll fix it all. Or anyone who wants to can, considering that this isn't really my map (although, I suppose that's up to TD).

peemonkey
February 14, 2005, 2:18 am
it doesnt work every time, but i've fiddled with it and it's pretty fun. sometimes the enemy's flag will spawn at yours and vice versa, which can sometimes make for really really fast matches

Maxx
February 17, 2005, 12:04 am
This is a great idea.

Good job, Vijchtidoodah.

Darkspirit
February 17, 2005, 12:45 am
Hi. I like your map it's awesome, and this is fair for the two teams at all ways with the structure then it look really cool i tell ya. Maybe it's a modification of Equinox, so for mods it's nice a lot anyway. Keep on the good work ;).

Maxx
February 17, 2005, 12:49 am
quote:Originally posted by DarkspiritHi. I like your map it's awesome, and this is fair for the two teams at all ways with the structure then it look really cool i tell ya. Maybe it's a modification of an other map, so for mods it's nice a lot anyway. Keep on the good work ;).

It's a "mod" of the ctf map Equinox.
(A very nice one by the way)

Vijchtidoodah
February 20, 2005, 4:30 am
Just checking in to see if the bugs were just on 3rd Account's trials or if everybody who tried it out had problems.

Maxx
February 20, 2005, 1:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by 3rd_account

Anyway there were quite a few bugs following this. Such as crashing on join a few times. And you could only score in the 'original' spawn point.

I could score in the original, and I think sometimes it let me score on the bottom.
It didn't happen all the time though, kinda weird.

And the way this is played, it needs just a lil more boost because the main route is between the bridge.

MercyM
February 20, 2005, 2:17 pm
The screens don't work...