( search forums )
Ladders/climbing-type objects
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Rambo_6
February 15, 2005, 2:28 am
Just so you guys know, I did search for topics like this, nothing came up.

I was thinking, maybe soldat could use some ladder-like objects. These would be especially handy for many types of maps (especially no-jet maps).

There are a few ways these may be implemented.

1. have a placeable circle (like colliders) that allows the soldier to climb it when he goes inside it. When these are placed in succession, they allow a soldier to cleanly climb up them, even on vertical angles. Placing overlapping circles will allow the soldier to climb slightly faster, so you can decide whether you want the soldiers to be sniper bait, or not.

2. Have some sort of placable spawn-point (like a flag or medikit spawn). This allows you to place a ladder in the spot chosen. The ladder follows the basic principles stated in the first suggestion, except this one can be moved by heavy explosions or minigun fire. If it is exploded enough (or if it falls off a drop), it tips over and becomes a big ugly collider. This could have tactical advantages.

Also, i should mention that in order to climb these things, simply walk into them, and your soldier will begin to climb unless there is no wall behind the circle (this applies to suggestion #1 only).

I really hope this gets some positive feedback, since i am trying to make a CounterStrike map into a soldat map, but i want the soldiers to be able to reach the higher parts of the level without jetting.

Svirin Kerath
February 15, 2005, 9:28 pm
what's the point? a soldier should be able to walk by without automatically going up. there should... *sigh* be a 'use' key.

Deleted User
February 15, 2005, 9:29 pm
I really love this idea. Though some might see it as useless seeing as we have jets and everything. It would come in handy when making maps when you have a map that you want to have different levels and no jets, but you don't want to bother making large ramps or have players jump from place to place.

BManx2000
February 15, 2005, 10:13 pm
Just make "climb up" be jump and "climb down" be crouch. Then all will be happy (unless someone changed their keys for jump and crouch, but nobody cares about them :P)

Michal
February 15, 2005, 11:20 pm
Yeah, I think climbing ladders, ropes, and stuff would be useful.
Could add a whole new dimension to no jet maps (yes I actually enjoy no jet maps :P)

Lt. Sneezy
February 15, 2005, 11:41 pm
Ladders would be cool, and it sounds like a good idea, but I've always wanted escalators, or moving sidewalks. Some kind of moving poly.

peemonkey
February 15, 2005, 11:54 pm
1-WAY-POLYS!!!

The Geologist
February 15, 2005, 11:57 pm
Would do what here? Because you can climb up and down ladders...

Rambo_6
February 16, 2005, 2:19 am
Well, i don't think climbing down ladders would be needed, since you can fall faster anyways.

No jet maps rock, and the only way (currently) to make it possible to climb to high areas is to either make unneccessary polygons, or make lots of jet which results in the map losing the whole point...

Leo Da Lunerfox
February 16, 2005, 8:42 am
Yeah, I want ladders, I'm one of the mappers who needs this because I usually make maps with no jets or barely any jets.

Captain Ben
February 16, 2005, 11:43 am
quote:Originally posted by Leo Da LunerfoxYeah, I want ladders, I'm one of the mappers who needs this because I usually make maps with no jets or barely any jets.

it would be really fun on zombie servers!
climbing up a ladder, holding on to a rung and shooting all these zombies!
perhaps you could just hold up (jump), and once at the climax of the jump is when you start climbing :D

BManx2000
February 16, 2005, 2:39 pm
quote:Originally posted by Rambo_6[navy] Well, i don't think climbing down ladders would be needed, since you can fall faster anyways.
Not on realistic...

Deleted User
February 16, 2005, 3:24 pm
I definitely think ladders should be in the game. I love this idea and it'd make for maps that are a lot more intricate and more strategic as well.

Magniitude
February 17, 2005, 1:06 am
yea sounds interesting. though it'd only be enjoyable for the larger scale maps.

Lt. Sneezy
February 17, 2005, 1:51 am
Well, maybe using latters that go across polys, so you can climb up and down, but you can't fall down, would be cool.
Like this:
[IMAGE]

Rambo_6
February 17, 2005, 2:29 am
I can see some major exploits that may get associated with that...

True, falling on a realistic is a no-no if you don't want to go down a ladder... But i still don't get why your soldier can jump 4 times his height...

I think maybe you could just stand on the collider-type area, and your soldier would slowly descend while moving his legs in some way without you doing anything. That way, you have the freedom to aim, and possibly move up or off the ladder without hassle, if the need arises.

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 12:01 am
Wow, I love this idea. There should be some maps were there is no jets, but ladders/ropes and such things. And if you want to fall down quicker you can jump off and a parachute will glide you down. =O

So many ideas, please implement this into Soldat :P

Well, you see. I thought of the idea while I was on newgrounds. So I took a simple search and found it, and commented it to bring it back to life. :D

Captain Ben
November 29, 2005, 12:55 am
I love this idea too, but why-oh-why did you dig it up? Must of taken ages!

Soulsnipa
November 29, 2005, 1:56 am
its better than suggesting it again

Deleted User
November 29, 2005, 2:08 am
Cool idea. Could be complex for MM to make though.

vash763
November 29, 2005, 2:23 am
Great Idea

Echo_Trail
November 29, 2005, 7:08 am
i too like this idea... i've been thinking much about how to make soldat a bit more.. realistic!.. and things like this would certainly help!
also, i think we need to come up with an idea on how to take cover, since colliders don't really offer that much! not even against a retard foe..
But i'm for the idea..! no-jet maps rocks!..
We could make an entire Splinter Cell Action Pack :O

Tybs
November 29, 2005, 10:17 am
Right, like in real mode having people standing against the walls with both their legs and jumping down on someone moving under them... :P just kidding. I love the idea of ladders though, i dont understand the topic died so suddenly... something like this adds a lot of good possibilities to the game (and it could prove useful for my movie too :P).

numgun
November 29, 2005, 11:03 am
this would be cool!
we could use them in house-like maps or to get into a control tower or sumthing like that! =D

Yuth
November 29, 2005, 11:12 pm
Yeah, this is good...
But as Rambo_6 was saying about not needing to climb down...

Well in realistic if you just jump from high places you will die.
So I guess it will be needed to climb both up and down.

As for the part that the ladder/climbing thing can also fall down and become a collider.
It would be cool, as also for other objects to hang anywhere.

But would probably be hard to create. Good Topic *Thumb Up*

Deleted User
November 30, 2005, 1:52 am
Yuth, well what I was thinking is that, you wont exatcly be jumping down. Unless you want to kill yourself, but instead you can use your parachute it possible. :)

quickslash
November 30, 2005, 2:32 am
Nice idea but i also think that it might be complex but it would be especially cool in obstacle course type maps i love those :)