( search forums )
Why Microsoft Can Shove It...
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Vijchtidoodah
February 19, 2005, 9:38 am
So I was reading through the "N" thread and decided that it looked like an interesting game. Naturally, I downloaded it to try it out.

I boot up, get familiar with the story and controls, then try to play. Oh cool, I can ninja jump my way up walls (which brings back fond memories of Chun Li in Street Fighter) but to do so, I have to push the dreaded Shift Key of Doom.

Not usually a problem, except for the fact that I often find myself trying to jump up a wall again and again making my computer sound thingy make that grating "beep" sound. You know the one I'm talking about, the old in-computer speaker that warns you whenever something has gone terribly wrong.

Lo and behold, an error message pops up, ruining my game and pissing me off because it's a timed game, and says "You have just turned StickyKeys on". It gives me a choice of 'OK,' 'Cancel,' or 'Settings.' Cancel. Keep playing. I hit the shift key once more. "Beep." Cancel. "Beep". Cancel. "Beep." [IMAGE] you computer! I just want to play this stupid game! OK...OK...OK, OK, OK...alright, I give up...cancel doesn't solve anything and OK doesn't do anything. "To deactivate the combination for StickyKeys, click Settings." Alright, I do. And the error message goes away. So I wait, and wait, and nothing whatsoever happens. Thank you error message.

So I go into my control panel to try to turn this thing off. It's not in Keyboard, not in System...so where could I change it? Ahh...the power of the Internet! I go onto the Windows page. Search for "Sticky Keys." Oh, if I want to change it, I have to go to Accessibility Options. So I go back to the control panel, and look, but it's not there. So I go back to the browser. Ahh, I must turn on Classic Windows to see it, and to do that, I have to hit tab and change something in the left panel of my window. But there is no left panel. There is no option in the menu at the top. I go to Display to find that I'm already in Classic Windows. So I change it to something else, then change it back. And Accessibility Options isn't there, but now my whole color scheme and window theme is all screwed up. Thank you Windows.

So I go to the Contact part of the windows site. I select my hardware and operating system, I go to the correct area, and then I find out that I'm supposed to go to the Support section. So I do. I select my hardware and operating system again, I go to the correct area again, and then I'm told that I need to go to the Technical Support subsection. I select my hardware and operating system again, I go to the correct area again, and I'm told that if I want any further assistance, I need to pay them $35. Let me get this straight...I have to pay to get help on a problem that wouldn't exist if Microsoft hadn't created it in the first place? Thank you Microsoft. You [IMAGE]ers.

So I google the problem to try to find a solution. I wait: it's loading. I wait some more: it's about a quarter of the way done. I wait some more: and the whole computer has frozen. Why? Because AOL signs me off without notice but doesn't actually tell me, so when I try to open a website my entire computer freezes...and this happens once about every half-hour. Thank you AOL.

I sign back on. I go to google. I finally get the information that I need. I complete the first step (making sure that I'm in Classic Windows) and I go on to the second: finding Accessibility Options.

There is no way to turn StickyKeys off. You can't click that little "Settings" button. You can't go to Accessibility Options. You can't get help from windows unless you want to give them more money. And you can't get any help from the Internet. Thank you World.

"Beep." [IMAGE]. The error message says I have to pay Microsoft to make the error message go away.

n00bface
February 19, 2005, 9:44 am
It wasn't too hard for me..took me about 5 seconds to turn off. I see it in accessibility options too.

frogboy
February 19, 2005, 9:49 am
I do it all the time in IPT class, all you have to do is press shift 5 times. And it disables.

Vijchtidoodah
February 19, 2005, 10:09 am
n00bface, if I could find Accessibility Options, I would turn it off.

And frogboy, pressing shift five times is what brings up that error message.

frogboy
February 19, 2005, 10:33 am
...When you press it five times again, it should disable. It works on mine, and most of the school's.

Milkman Dan
February 19, 2005, 10:38 am
yeah you should have just done settings, turn off

Vijchtidoodah
February 19, 2005, 11:03 am
Nope, doing it five times again just brings back the window.

And Milkman, pushing settings just closes the window, but doesn't do anything else.

That game was really fun too...

n00bface
February 19, 2005, 11:30 am
lol vijcht, he means do it 5 times. when the window is up, do it 5 more times and it's gone.

Vijchtidoodah
February 19, 2005, 11:40 am
I'm pretty sure that he means that if I press it five times and somehow turn it on, if I hit it five more times it'll go away...which it does. But if I hit it another five times it comes back.

Pressing it five times again doesn't make it go away either.

b00stA
February 19, 2005, 11:57 am
Vijch, I just checked the N version history:
[code]1.2 ::: 25 April 2004
- added key config section[/code]
How about changing the shift key to something else?

Anyway, I just took a screenshot of how it looks in Windows 2000 (german..):
[IMAGE]

n00bface
February 19, 2005, 12:01 pm
That's not german you poser.

but he can't even get that little menu up anyways. In windows XP it's the first checkbox you see once you click the Settings button..if you can ever get that menu up. Maybe restart your comp and try? :O

b00stA
February 19, 2005, 12:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by n00bfaceThat's not german you poser.

but he can't even get that little menu up anyways. In windows XP it's the first checkbox you see once you click the Settings button..if you can ever get that menu up. Maybe restart your comp and try? :O

KRUSH EINGABEHILFEN JA

Captain Ben
February 19, 2005, 12:36 pm
you could have avoided all of that jsut by reconfiguring your jump button.
nice story, though :P

n00bface
February 19, 2005, 1:45 pm
ICH VERSTEHE KEIN DEUTSCHE

blackdevil0742
February 19, 2005, 2:02 pm
Ich kann nicht Deutsche sprechen

EDIT: This is how the accessibility menu looks line in english WinXP

[IMAGE]

Maxx
February 19, 2005, 7:08 pm
I just turned it off in like 3 seconds.

How I did it(in button order):

. Start
. Control panel
. Accessibility Options
. Settings(under StickyKeys)
. (unchecked)Use Shortcut
. Ok
. Apply

Voila, pronlem solved
=D

Sweet, I never liked that stupid thing anyway.
And now it's off, haha.

Hitman
February 19, 2005, 7:18 pm
Maxx, are you retarded or something? Two posts (WITH SCREENSHOTS) before yours have explained [one in German, hence the second English one] how to disable Sticky Keys, so I think we've already established how to turn the damn thing off! The problem is:quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodah
..if I could find Accessibility Options, I would turn it off.!

Maxx
February 19, 2005, 7:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by HitmanMaxx, are you retarded or something? Two posts (WITH SCREENSHOTS) before yours have explained [one in German, hence the second English one] how to disable Sticky Keys, so I think we've already established how to turn the damn thing off! The problem is:quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodah
..if I could find Accessibility Options, I would turn it off.!

Sooo...
y do u care?

Maxx
February 19, 2005, 7:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by HitmanI know you are, but what am I?

I said W H Y do Y O U care, I didn't insult you.
LOL

Hitman
February 19, 2005, 7:28 pm
..the expectation of such a reply was exactly why I deleted my post.quote:Sooo...
y do u care?Oh, right, good point, my apologies ...for a second there I thought this was a forum.

Maxx
February 19, 2005, 7:33 pm
LOL

Deleted User
February 19, 2005, 8:00 pm
Guys, we're taking the point of this conversation away from the original topic:

Vijchtidoodah cannot access his Accessibility Options.

I suggest going into Add/Remove Programs, open up Windows Setup or whatever it's called in XP, and uninstall all of your Accessibility Options.

b00stA
February 19, 2005, 9:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by Vijchtidoodahif I could find Accessibility Options

Start, Run and in there type:
access.cpl
Enter.

That should open the accessibility window.

Vijchtidoodah
February 19, 2005, 9:20 pm
YES! I did it!!!

Lapis, you set me on the right track, but I actually had to install the Accessories and Utilities which brought up the Accessibility icon in the control panel so that I could turn that stupid thing off.

Vij: 1
Compy: 0

Vijchtidoodah
February 19, 2005, 9:21 pm
Thanks for all your help guys, now I can finally play 'N' in peace...