( search forums )
How did Soldat Effect you?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
Ok
February 21, 2005, 5:15 am
Well I maybe taking a risk here :) by admitting it actualy effected my life.
It all started one day when I went down to my "little bro"'s(Bugs Revenge) house to get game or something I don't remember.
And then he said "Hey look there's a new very cool game called Soldat" so he showed me the game. didn't look promising to me.
Plus it was the 56k modem days :) even though he said it can be played.
I'm not sure what version was it back then .. anyways I was in the army back then in my last period when you basicly can bum around. anyways one day Israel started getting into the ADSL/Cable [IMAGE]. THEN again he nagged me about that Soldat game. So I tried it.
Next thing I know, I find myself rushing from the base back home through the 17:30 traffic just so I can get home and shoot some virtual ppl with alot of blood and stuff.
I actualy had a period in my life when it was like this :
1- Wake up
2- Bumming around in my base 7:30-17:30
3- Soldat
4- Sleep

'ccept weekends ofcourse.
anyways! I noobed around in DM's back then.
Then I joined the clan world. didn't do much since it was an Israeli clan. after alot of time that I played on DNA server and other publics (about 6 months)I got into the IRC got to know the european community, which was much nicer back then.
met the 2wai fellas.. anyways with time I joined them. that was actualy AFTER I left the army. its a period in alot of israeli's life when u just a bum! thinking what to do with your life.
So insted of thinking about that, I burned my brain cells playing Soldat.
The bright side is ,I met alot of nice ppl! even had a very nice conversation VIA phone with A japanies girl who lived in England (Suika) she's so cute!!! :D
met Mariachi,SBal,Chakra,Uzzi,Suika,n2j3,najd(and alot of others) got to know alot about europeans that I didnt know. plus my internet skills got much better.
not to mention my english (which was wrose then this btw).

So you might say Soldat exposed me into a whole new world through my computer..
But then again, I got addicted! REAL bad..
I found myself craving for Cw's.. played them day and night!
At that point my eyes were already [IMAGE]ed up, from spending all that time infront of the computer.
So it went on like that for a phew months..when I just were clubbing and parting.. wasting my time as I should have after 3 years of fecking service.
Then I started studing.. and Soldat wasn't a problem to my surprise because I kinda got sick of it, the community gone crap. most of the players I liked stopped playing.

And so I find myself today playing soldat only for this reason:
1- Vent: Love listening to Puppeter screaming "wub abuve wun abuve spryur" and Xyrus screaming "SUPPPAAAFLLYYY"

2- Its a great way to fuc-k my eyes bad enough so I'll get tired enough to fall asleep.

3- Much better then pounding the crap out of someone when I'm pissed!

4- I find the soldat community is a great place to get help about Software and even Hardware issues. I owe alot of ppl for helping me out in so many occausions!

So this is my SAD and PATHETIC story.
I'm interested in reading yours :) so do write.

And Remember kids! Soldat is BAD for you!
Michal is the Devil!
And wear Sun Screen! (even in winter! 'cause it smells good and cheaper then aftershave)

paramud
February 21, 2005, 5:17 am
....well you can leave now....

reckon
February 21, 2005, 5:29 am
Im usually high 8 of the 12 hours im concious. I usually spend half my high time playing soldat, ssbm or artsying it up.

Unlucky 13
February 21, 2005, 6:51 am
Hmm, this sounds like an "Ok, final thread, I leave now, no kisses, no hugs"

Ok.

Captain Ben
February 21, 2005, 8:36 am
quote:Originally posted by reckon I usually spend half my time playing soldat, ssbm or artsying it up.

some one like me!
except on weekends i usually sleep in till about 4 in the afternoons...

The Geologist
February 21, 2005, 8:41 am
quote:Originally posted by paramud....well you can leave now....

Like you're one to talk? Some of us are still waiting for you to leave.

IDF-RIPsta
February 21, 2005, 8:45 am
OK has 17 posts since November 2003, you on the other hand Paramud, made 250 since July 2004.

Maybe you should learn to keep your opinions for yourself, or at least save your breath for people who care...

Come back when something worthwile hits you...

Captain Ben
February 21, 2005, 9:01 am
good point...

The Geologist
February 21, 2005, 9:13 am
What do post counts have to do with this? It's funny how someone who ran off of these forums in tears a while back is now telling someone else to get going and acting just like the type of person he made a topic to complain about.

IDF-RIPsta
February 21, 2005, 10:05 am
My point is that OK's 17 posts have more insight than all of Paramud's existence on this forum.

Melba
February 21, 2005, 2:05 pm
I concur Ok.

My grades at school has dropped to an all time low since i started playing soldat.
It kind of introduced me to the computer, because i'm using it hell of a lot more than i did last easter when i started playing soldat.
Soldat also introduced me to IRC, which is a time CONSUMER, and this forums (which takes alot less time to browse through nowadays, as i read all the posts and all topics before).

what you said about burning brain cells is totally true.
before i was smart. I got good grades at maths, science etc. but now, i don't.
the only upside with it is that my reflexes are alot better, and as you said alot more knowledge about the e.g. the internet and computers.

i have thought about quiting soldat numerous times, and this time i might just do. Because this is the time in my life where my grades REALLY matter, if i don't do well now, i might have to take the classes all over again, to get into the university i might want to study.
I believe i have had very bad luck when it comes to the time when i started playing games online. If i would've started when i was, say frogboy's or pienne's age. Hell, i could've played all day long without even thinking about grades. (they might not agree with me on this one though)
the truth is, i busted my ass off studying to my exam on elementary school, when i really could've just given a [IMAGE]... it's not hard to get in on my upper secondary school anyway.

so here i am, posting on some online computer game forum crying my problems out to people i don't even really know.
I mean, how sad is that?

sorry for the badly structured post, i just wrote what came in mind...

SuperKill
February 21, 2005, 2:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistWhat do post counts have to do with this? It's funny how someone who ran off of these forums in tears a while back is now telling someone else to get going and acting just like the type of person he made a topic to complain about.

'running off in tears' <- who are you talking about here?
cause i think ripsta was on Ok's side. ;P

Ok
February 21, 2005, 2:28 pm
Well the Computer reall [IMAGE]ed me up when I was in highschool.
I got my first computer (who was worth something) in the 11th grade.
I was never a student who busted my ass, but I had reasonable grades whichI kept quite easly.
But then I got my computer, my life gone to hell basicly.. I stopped giving a [IMAGE] about school.
and had so many fights with my mom.
This is the reason why today I have to do some of my Finals exams all over again.
so I can get my dimploma. this isn't unusual in israel though. (age 23.. doing highschool studies).
'cause we waste 3 years in the army right after school.
But I do have ALOT more to do then others.
Computers are very bad for ppl with no self disipline, aspacialy Soldat because it just a huge world and you can never get enough of it. so many ppl to know! so many coltures.
creating so many conversation in IRC for example which IS a time consumer indeed!
But I got to admit, Bugs is a senior right now. one of the hardest times in a school boy's life.
And he manages to study just fine, he has no problem manipulating his time.
When he needs to study he does! and when he has free time he turns to soldat and he also have time for his friends .. and EVEN for girls.
I gotta admit :) He's a good example that the only one to blame for not succeding is YOUR own self.
Its a result of good habbits given to him by his parents. So I guess you can blame your parents as well :P

Cheer up Melba! you're still in a place where you can change it! I suggest that whenever you feel like going on the comp (and you have free time) just quickl wear something and get out of the house! go to a friend's house or just take a walk.
I think a Computer can be an addiction just like smoking.. or drinking, but no one tells you its WRONG. So tell yourself! and do something about it! its not too late!

The Geologist
February 21, 2005, 2:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKillquote:Originally posted by The GeologistWhat do post counts have to do with this? It's funny how someone who ran off of these forums in tears a while back is now telling someone else to get going and acting just like the type of person he made a topic to complain about.

'running off in tears' <- who are you talking about here?
cause i think ripsta was on Ok's side. ;P

I was talking about how para ran out from these harsh, harsh forums and far away from Frogboy.

Skate4Razors
February 21, 2005, 2:31 pm
Soldat is ruining my life, my grades suck! I probably can't even get into college, lol. But, I love it so much, that I can't stop.

DeMonIc
February 21, 2005, 2:51 pm
I got internet, and a few months later, on a rainy day, my friend came over, and he directed me to a site, called www.soldat.pl. This site changed my life, the boring afternoons soon turned into virtual bloodbaths, and I joined the soldat forums. After that, a lot of things happened, but to be short...
...I improved from "spamming newbie" to someone who puts his words down to support what he thinks is right.
...I started trying to help the community, both this and the Hungarian one(minor things, but things non the-less).
...my grades started getting worse(maybe because of Soldat, maybe because of alcohol and that I'm a lazy bum).
...I met a lot of new people, and I made some friends(<3 you all).
...my e-penis has grown 8 inches.

Melba
February 21, 2005, 3:02 pm
quote:But I got to admit, Bugs is a senior right now. one of the hardest times in a school boy's life.
And he manages to study just fine, he has no problem manipulating his time.

My friend is just like him, he gets top grades in most classes, even though he plays cs:s all day long.

And i know it's my fault, but i can't change the fact that i don't have a lot of self dicipline.
It just sucks :(

EDIT: My parents nag on me many times a day. They have nothing to do with it :)

Michal
February 21, 2005, 3:16 pm
I first really started playing Soldat during my grade 9 exams (against bots since I had no internet -.-) I did ok on the exams,even though I barely studied. I can't say that Soldat has lowered my marks, since I would have just found something else to waste my time on.
Anyways, now I'm modding, mapping, and also helping out a little on a new map editor.
I think this is at least a good way to waste time, since Soldat is a creative outlet for me.
Also playing Soldat is damn fun :D

DT
February 21, 2005, 3:23 pm
Soldat is like... a pie
its kinda good for you and in other ways not
and spoons to are like your mouse
and the plate your keyboard
and the napkin like the mousepad
and now i want some pie...

n00bface
February 21, 2005, 3:44 pm
[IMAGE]ty analogy

CbbLe
February 21, 2005, 3:53 pm
looks like alot of people in here needs better selfcontrol :P

enjoyincubus
February 21, 2005, 4:35 pm
Or to break away from petulant classes. If you've the opportunity, take classes in only subjects you'll be able to excel in without having to drop gaming. :)

The next two semesters, I've compiled my schedule (university. unsure of what you can and can't do in high schools.) to include a programming class, networking, art appreciation, trigonometry, French, philosophy, etc. I guess you'll have to get a lot of things out of the way before you can formally ignore classes that you know you'll struggle in.

A lot of these stories parallel my situation. Except I used to have some otttther problems, following playing. I'd hear sound clips from the game, while simply walking downtown, or recite phrases from dnagames. I'd see people walking down the street and say "hey, that's probably what Meandor/Outcast/Fabmanx/CC/n2j3 looks like!" Of course, the picture thread killed this.

If you're failing in the traditional school system, take heart in that you're probably just not fit to fill out the bourgeoisie. :)

Deleted User
February 21, 2005, 4:51 pm
I played so much over summer that I got Carpal Tunnel, so I only play a little nowadays.

KeyesBlob
February 21, 2005, 6:00 pm
I played it for a long time, but it kind of ruined it when the secondary weapons showed up and when it tried to connect to the internet every time you tried to play, causing errors due to me not having net on my other computer. Now I play 1.0.5b all the time, 1.2.1 sucks for me. I don't have 9 bucks to spare, and it always kicks out and gives me errors.

It bugs me that Michal tried to force out all these new features to a game that was nearly perfect. All he needed to do was fix networking errors, and stop hacking. But he tired to force out all these new features like laying prone and the sniper zoom, which ended up creating more glitches than it fixed.

I'm ashamed of you Michal :(

Now I just download mods onto disks, take them to my Soldat computer (I don't have internet on it) and try to implement as much of the mod as I can into my older version. Now I have a Halo mod which is mostly mine but the weapons-gfx and goestek are Shivorkens.

I play it for only about 3 hours a day, mainly at night. Gets kind of repetitive after a while.

Rhombus
February 21, 2005, 6:21 pm
oh my god... I cant remember how I started...... I think I was searching google for something like free fun shooter or something...

Ok
February 21, 2005, 6:37 pm
Well I see alot of ppl are playing it OFF net.
I find it coompletly boring and requirs less self control to NOT play it.
For me Soldat is much more then just the blood and self kill.
Long ago before I even had a normal computer (I had an AT 286 'till I was 17) I used to go to my friend's and play Redalert :) dreaming of the day when I will be able to play with 4-6 more players and be able to talk with them plannning stratagies and applying team work and co-operation.
I still do it! with Starcraft. but that's long! Soldat Netting provides all of the above! plus its much shorter and has much morea action in it! Real time action!
This is what I enjyo and that is what I find so Irresistable in Soldat and its helping tools (TeamSpeak/Ventrilo).
There's no doubt the Computer brought to our lifes alot! but it also ruined it alot.
When I was a kid, the computer was just something u play once a while.
Not all of us had it as well, we played soccer, drove our bikes! did outdoor stuff!
Kids today communicate with friend through the internet.. I find it very damaging to the future of humanity :)
but that's much bigger then Soldat.
Soldat indeed brought alot into most of our lifes, its fun and it allows u to talk with other players while playing, shame most of us use it to curse each other.
I think you can define Soldat as one of the most Social games around (internet wise).
Sure the commmuity doesnt meet each other infront. but so many ppl are gathering around from all over the world!
For me its still something to be amazed about :) thinking I am having a Vent discusion with someone from Poland one from Canada one from England and me being in Israel.
in real time. on regular bases.
It just makes the world so much smaller! which is good.

enjoyincubus
February 21, 2005, 7:11 pm
I think you just defined how I feel, much better than I would have.

Melba
February 21, 2005, 10:26 pm
I completely agree.
Other communities like cs are way to big to relate to, but soldat, soldat is just perfect.
Not too many, and not too few.

?
February 21, 2005, 10:52 pm
1. school
2. work
3. gametime(if I am not out with friends)

thats my life.....

peemonkey
February 21, 2005, 11:50 pm
1. wake up (if i went to sleep)
2. walk girl to bus stop, mill about downtown for couple hours
3. get home, [IMAGE] around on computer
4. do other [IMAGE]
5. sleep?

i dont even play soldat no more :P but when i did it was more like this:
1 wake up
2. smoak
3. soldat
4. forums
5. soldat
6. eat a little
7. soldat

XD

AerialAssault
February 22, 2005, 1:00 am
soldat hasnt really had a negative effect on my life. i dont spend too much time on it or the forums.

Ok
February 22, 2005, 11:15 pm
That's good :)
btw is that you in the avatar?

Vijchtidoodah
February 23, 2005, 12:03 am
Oh my god...have you never seen or even heard of Napolean Dynamite?

Ack, Israel probably still has a while before it gets this gem.

-DoA-Pero-SLO-
February 23, 2005, 12:07 am
Yeah when i gotit i played like all time....but then i started to self-controll and now i play less.Like i play 30 mins after lunch and 2 hours and 30 mins in the evening...and also most ppl just whine,and they kick me when im using minigun or barret

Tha Doggfather
February 23, 2005, 12:45 am

you play soldat 3 hours a day?

and before that you played even more?

Captain Ben
February 23, 2005, 8:01 am
i usually just play on the weekends, i don't go on to soldat during the week as there are no good aussie soldat servers wthout passwords...
i like the forums, though :P

m00`
February 23, 2005, 8:44 am
I cant play soldat for more than half an hour a day, things like this get pretty boring -_- I usually play 1 game and leave :o

-DoA-Pero-SLO-
February 23, 2005, 9:11 am
quote:Originally posted by Tha Doggfather...

yeah now when are holidays...when there is no holidays i play like 1 hour,maybe one and a half.

Ok
February 24, 2005, 1:37 am
quote:Originally posted by VijchtidoodahOh my god...have you never seen or even heard of Napolean Dynamite?

Ack, Israel probably still has a while before it gets this gem.

Is that like a TV show?
Do explain!

Vijchtidoodah
February 24, 2005, 4:59 am
It's an (fairly) independant film about a huge nerd...that's pretty much the entire premise. You really have to see it to understand how funny it is, or (and more often if you aren't american) how stupid it is.

Ok
February 24, 2005, 5:28 am
Well I aint american. (thank god :P)
I'll try to download it or something.
I never understood that figure of a nerd.
In my school it wasn't like that exactly. But even the nerds didn't look like nerds, I mean its not like you could point at someone and say "he's a nerd" and so on...

ThaD
February 24, 2005, 9:16 am
quote:Originally posted by Tha Doggfather...

what's so strange about it? I used to play 6-7 hours a day back in 2002 ;)

Captain Ben
February 24, 2005, 10:54 am
geez, are your parents divorced?

villekallio
February 24, 2005, 11:05 am
i play every waking moment of my life. i have no friends, my parents disowned me and i never bathe anymore.

Rambo_6
February 26, 2005, 6:06 am
I'M 30 YEARS OLD, I LIVE IN MY PARENT'S BASEMENT, AND I SHOWER ONCE EVERY 5 DAYS.
I HAVE NO FRIENDS, UNLESS YOU COUNT MY HOTMAIL ACCOUNT.

Actually, I just play soldat when i have nothing better to do than study or play guitar.

Plus, I love customizing my games. Mapmaking is the ultimate time waster.

Captain Ben
February 26, 2005, 8:19 am
quote:Originally posted by Rambo_6[navy] I'M 30 YEARS OLD, I LIVE IN MY PARENT'S BASEMENT, AND I SHOWER ONCE EVERY 5 DAYS.
I HAVE NO FRIENDS, UNLESS YOU COUNT MY HOTMAIL ACCOUNT.
[navy]

wow, has camping carl taken over your account as well?

Liber_Lupus
February 28, 2005, 8:49 pm
Soldat didn't affect my life much, since I have this nature that i cant do something for a long time.
This saved my grades. When I was at school all I thought about was to get back home and start kicking some ass. It got a bit worse for the short time I was in good clans. I was like wow, im in a good clan, this made me play even more. I get tired fast so i take breaks and come back and take a break again then come back again. I still love this game though.

Jaz
February 28, 2005, 9:08 pm
I spent way more time on the computer when I started online games, soldat didnt change me life, internet games did and the people I hanged around with in high school, for like a year.