( search forums )
Environmental Effects/objects
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Rambo_6
February 28, 2005, 5:32 am
I tried searching, nothing really like this came up... Please don't delete this, let me if it turns out to be a bad idea, Lapis. :)

What i think would be a cool idea is 'environmental' effects/objects that could be placed in soldat.

First, let me define it so you all won't be blankly staring at me.

What an 'environmental' effect would be... Well, let's say that you have a map sorta like a jungle, in the nighttime. To give this map more of an authentic feel, you could simply make a bonfire by placing a spawn point which sprays flames upwards. I'm not talking flamethrower flames, i'm talking about the flames that appear when you score in infiltration (when the flag disappears). These flames would not hurt your player, but they would make it seem as if there's actually a fire. Furthermore, these flames would not be in .gif format. The flames would randomly appear/disappear, just as they do with the flames when you score in INF. There could be more environment effects, like:
1. Smoke, instead of flames
2. Bubbles, for underwater
3. Puddles of blood, which shimmer as if they are rather deep, and reflect light
4. Puddles of piss (this one explains itself)EDIT: Lame idea.
5. Wounded soldiers (they are in the background, they do not interact. But they could occasionally lift an arm or leg...)
6. Steam/fog (this is different from smoke, since it could either float left/right in a creepy manner and be slightly transparent)
7. Small explosions (these would look like they are off in the distance (they are behind everything). It could give a map a crazy feel to it.

My second idea (this one might not fly as well with you guys.) is having the ability to place spawns for objects which you can interact with.

Take for (a crappy) example, Halo 2's new interactive environments. Being able to move barrels and boxes around is an element which cannot be overlooked. So what if you had the ability to place spawns for objects which you can walk through, but at the same time hide behind for cover from enemy fire. They could also b moved around using explosions. If they happen to become unused/lost they would just respawn back at their original spot. These objects would not lag the game up, i think. They would use they system that soldat uses when your soldier dies and his carcass can be shot around, only these objects are permanently out on the field of battle, and you can strategically place them for effective cover.

Here are more examples of interactive objects:
1. A hanging carcass on a rope (this may be gruesome, but it would be so cool to be able to shoot at a dead body on a string that doesn't decapitate! plus, the body could be a collider for bullets, so you could hide behind it.)
2. A sitting carcass (much heavier than normal carcasses, and they don't decapitate or disappear. They should be used sparingly since lag issues may occur...)
3. A barrel (rolls downhill faster)
4. A crate (Eventually breaks if shot too much, causing it to respawn later.
5. A heavy barrel (barely moves at all when exploded, and cannot be broken. Will crush a person if it is knocked onto them)
6. a soccer ball (Think of all the possibilities! These balls bounce a lot, and they can be shot around fairly easily.)
7. Toxic waste barrel (when shot too many times, this barrel explodes into flames, killing anyone who is too close
8. ladders (i mentioned this already, but being able to climb would make soldat more interesting.)
9. Sand bags (at the beginning, they are useful for hiding behind. They eventually get worn down, and do not replenish.

Well, there's my ideas. Sorry if some have been over-mentioned, but i really think these things would make the soldat environment all the better.[/navy]

mar77a
February 28, 2005, 3:23 pm
Mmm, i like all of them, but i think Soldat is just "GO KILL [IMAGE]ERRRR!!! ARGGGGHHH, DIEEEE". So having moving stuff around the map...well, it's kinda uselles...and the speciall effects also are useless...they don't like "fit" in...

Have you being playing Worms lately?

blackdevil0742
February 28, 2005, 4:20 pm
I like all ot the stuff...now we can only pray

Rambo_6
February 28, 2005, 8:03 pm
Maybe your soldier could pick up these objects and toss em?

That would be fun ;)

DT
February 28, 2005, 8:21 pm
*throws his law away after shooting it and picks up a sand bag*
DT: ? i wanted a knife not a
Solder: ARG
*throws the sandbag at him and kills him*
Solder: BARF
DT: ... whatever works
*Barrel hits him*
DT: OW
*Picks it up*
DT: WHO DID THAT
*throws it in the air and shoots it killing a nearby enemy*
DT: YEA WHAT NOW!
DT: wow these barrels roc
*Gets hit by a rolling barrel and dies*
DT: i'm killing every barrel i see...

heh that would be fun to implant but...
worth it?<>

Unlucky 13
March 1, 2005, 6:44 am
Psst! DT! Its implement!

Anyway this idea has some good points, but may lag up some stuff, but yet it could have some great moments in it.

Deleted User
March 1, 2005, 6:53 am
some of those ideas are cool, but ladders sound pretty useless, unless its in a level with little or no booster. and you should be able to lift barrels and crates

Captain Ben
March 1, 2005, 7:05 am
it sound fun. it would be fun to see if dropping a box or barrel from a fair height, that it would explode or shatter, etc.

peemonkey
March 1, 2005, 7:09 am
a bunch of physical objects would kick ass. especially if they wer mod-able (you tell soldat it's weight/mass and brake-ableness, and it moves like the image does....like, yea. a circle rolls, a box.....doesnt?)

March 1, 2005, 7:44 am
OMFG, this is the third topic that is similar to the one that i tried to post, but was blocked. I honestly like to move boxes and all, but would they be used as weapons?

Rambo_6
March 1, 2005, 8:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by peemonkeya bunch of physical objects would kick ass. especially if they wer mod-able (you tell soldat it's weight/mass and brake-ableness, and it moves like the image does....like, yea. a circle rolls, a box.....doesnt?)

Well, i don't think they should be modable for online matches (i.e. you have to use the physics that the serverthat you're playing on defines). The skins for the objects should be mod-able though! ;D

But yea, overall i think MM wouldn't have a hard time implementing this.

The objects could simply run on the same script that dead soldiers' carcasses run on, except have small changes to the script (i.e. the objects do not disappear unless destroyed or if they become unused. The objects also have a designated spawn point)

I hope MM at least considers this idea.

kwanfei
March 1, 2005, 11:06 pm
Sounds interesting
but useless and some of them may cause lag...

Keron Cyst
March 2, 2005, 1:21 am
quote:Originally posted by Rambo_6... Puddles of blood, which shimmer as if they are rather deep, and reflect light...
Blood disappears as soon as it hits a polygon. How would it amass? Would it drip over the polygon, or slowly accumulate pixel-wise on it? But if that could be done, then it'd be quite easy to have it shine (just occasionally have a diagonal line of pixels turn white, moving along quite rapidly in one direction) ;-)
quote:... Puddles of piss...
Um, I don't think that'd be worth the time... o.O'
quote:... Wounded soldiers (they are in the background, they do not interact. But they could occasionally lift an arm or leg...)...
That's... phr34ky...
quote:... Small explosions (these would look like they are off in the distance (they are behind everything)....
Behind and also smaller than actual explosions ;-)

quote:... My second idea... is having the ability to place spawns for objects which you can interact with.... Being able to move barrels and boxes around... what if you had the ability to place spawns for objects which you can walk through, but at the same time hide behind for cover... They could also b moved around using explosions. If they happen to become unused/lost they would just respawn back at their original spot. These objects would not lag the game up, i think. They would use they system that soldat uses when your soldier dies and his carcass can be shot around, only these objects are permanently out on the field of battle, and you can strategically place them for effective cover.
Me likes. I think it can fit in with the fast pace of Soldat.

quote:... A hanging carcass on a rope...
This would be really nice for maps that have a particular... theme to 'em B-)
quote:... A sitting carcass (much heavier than normal carcasses, and they don't decapitate or disappear. They should be used sparingly since lag issues may occur...)...
Yeah, I don't think this is needed...
quote:... A barrel (rolls downhill faster)... A crate (Eventually breaks if shot too much, causing it to respawn later...
These all sound good to me :-)
quote:... A heavy barrel (barely moves at all when exploded, and cannot be broken. Will crush a person if it is knocked onto them)...
At least a direct explosion should damage/destroy it...
quote:... a soccer ball (Think of all the possibilities! These balls bounce a lot, and they can be shot around fairly easily.)
The ball wouldn't bounce; projectiles would deflate it (or destroy it if they were explosives)...
quote:... Toxic waste barrel (when shot too many times, this barrel explodes into flames, killing anyone who is too close...
Don't forget your standard explosive one, too :-P
quote:... ladders (i mentioned this already, but being able to climb would make soldat more interesting.)
True, it's already been mentioned (and not just by j00). I would personally like it :-)
quote:... Sand bags (at the beginning, they are useful for hiding behind. They eventually get worn down, and do not replenish....

Why wouldn't the sandbags reappear? \:-|

quote:Originally posted by broken_gerbil
... you should be able to lift barrels and crates
Not if you're busy holding twin Desert Eagles...

EDIT I'm not Offline :-P

Rambo_6
March 2, 2005, 2:46 am
Maybe you would have to drop your weapon that you're holding in order to lift the box/crate/object?

I think that your soldier shouldn't be able to toss the box/crate very far, but when they do throw the object, it will immediately kill anything it lands on. If the explosive/toxic barrel is tossed, it will blow up on impact, being like a stronger grenade. being able to pick up the crates would make it easier to strategically place the objects as well.

And i think you're right about the soccer ball... and the sitting carcass.... and the pee puddles.....

And plus, having a hanging soldier at each base would give a ctf map a very territorial theme to it. :D

Unlucky 13
March 2, 2005, 5:48 am
These sound good to me, but what if a little box landed on someone? Do you die?
I don't, 'specially if it is cardboard. Damaging maybe, but maybe no throwing at all...
Meh, not my choice..
Anyway, the background may stuff up some slower PC's and fog will be solid on Savage's, and turning the fog off could be an advantage rather than a last resort to fix stuff.
If we get animated scenery, you don't need B.G images.
Other then that, cool!

Captain Ben
March 2, 2005, 6:17 am
yah, we really need .gifs to be enabled in the next map maker...
hint, programmers :P

Rambo_6
March 2, 2005, 1:35 pm
I just said there would be no gif's involved. The images have to be random not some looping animation.

And what's with all the posts? You've posted in every single topic :-/

Take yer time.

Rhombus
March 2, 2005, 3:26 pm
Lol I like the carcas on a rope idea. And imagine a climbing map, where barrels keep rolling off a hill, falling off the screen, thus respawning on top, so you have to jump over the barrels to get higher.

Rambo_6
March 2, 2005, 8:02 pm
Now you're talking! ^^

Aegis
March 3, 2005, 1:38 am
If this was implemented we could remake classic donkeykong.. :)
But seriously. MM already made grenade and medikit boxes affected by physics in Lan - This means it's feasible for the most part and its already quite a cool effect(moving boxes in lan, that it). I think that extra objects like this would be awesome, and not hard to make. First though, MM should kill the rest of the big bugs, then move on to things like this. What I like about this suggestion is that many of these objects can replace standard scenery that isn't interactive. Again this kind of change requires changes to the map editors though. I think a few of the extra graphic effects you mentioned are a little useless though. For one thing I don't want my soldat walking through a puddle of urine. That's just not cool.

Rambo_6
March 3, 2005, 3:33 am
True enough.

Havine interactive objects would be extremely easy for MM to implemant, and they shouldn't make much lag (unless there's a whole pile of em :X )

Liquid Metal
March 3, 2005, 4:37 am
Me likes interactive objects!

Keron Cyst
March 3, 2005, 6:43 am
quote:Originally posted by Aegis... I don't want my soldat walking through a puddle of urine. That's just not cool.
*lol* Agreed X-D

Unlucky 13
March 3, 2005, 7:07 am
quote:Originally posted by Rambo_6[navy] I just said there would be no gif's involved. The images have to be random not some looping animation.

I never said .gif's, I mean like either .gif's or some folders with ordered animations, or random ones every now and then, maybe set up like an interface with a .sif file.

Captain Ben
March 3, 2005, 7:36 am
but .gifs would probably run smoother...
have you ever seen an explosions skip when in crowded servers?

Rhombus
March 3, 2005, 4:55 pm
i think a .lol file will do the trick. Anyway about the pool of urine, I dont want to prone and kill people, only to find myself drowning in somebody elses piss...lame

MakroX
March 5, 2005, 5:46 pm
when i started reading this.. i though of thunders and monsters, or sandholes or something that interacts with the theme of the stage that may kill ur soldier when u never expected it. or maybe make that [IMAGE] appear when ur soldier is idle. iono but it sounds fun to me, good ideas rambo. =)

lastpatriot
March 6, 2005, 11:44 am
This idea is great. How about being able to load boxes with 'nades/clusters? Then, when somebody picks it up: BOOM!

MercyM
March 6, 2005, 1:47 pm
I like this stuff! ;)

lastpatriot
March 6, 2005, 3:41 pm
I like the quicksand suggestion that...somebody did.

Rambo_6
March 6, 2005, 6:24 pm
Lol, putting a nade in a box then tossing it= instant shrapnel XD

grand_diablo
March 6, 2005, 8:23 pm
Im for the environmental things that doesnt really affect the gameplay, like the bonfire or moving fog. Yet, I think objects to interact with would not suit the game. Also I think the wounded soldiers as environmental object arent a too good idea, because they could be confusing.

So, a YES for environmental objects, but only a few, non confusing ones (bonfires, smoke, fog,, bubbles, etc.)

Rambo_6
March 7, 2005, 5:45 am
I'm already drooling thinking about smoke, fog, bonfires, and other such things.

Maybe even water (that doens't effect your soldier) could be implemented using this system? it could shimmer/ripple...

WoePoet
March 7, 2005, 3:08 pm
I was thinking more along the lines interactive scenery, For instance:

A barel that when shot would blow up.

Rambo_6
March 8, 2005, 3:01 am
...Which is what my first post outlined.

Captain Ben
March 8, 2005, 4:41 am
i like the hanging body idea...
it would be good in custom made levels where you could have heaps of them lined up across the roof...