( search forums )
Suggestions for server admin scripts?
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
rusty
February 28, 2005, 6:54 pm
Hey everyone,

To those reading that don't know me, I'm the author of a server administration tool called SARJ. I've just about reached the stage of cleaning some things up before my next release, but before I do I thought I'd ask the community for some suggestions on something.

The next release will feature full scripting support to allow the user to program a response to either the click of a button on the window or an event generated by the program (e.g. when a player joins, leaves, speaks, etc). This effectively gives a lot of power to the user to do pretty much anything they want with the client, so the customisation potential is huge. However, I'd like to include a few example scripts with the release to demonstrate this potential. At this point I'll pose the question to you guys: What would be a really useful, scriptable feature to include in your server? This can be something basic along the lines of greeting messages, reporting a player's rank or kill/death ratio, or something more complex and creative. I'd really appreciate some ideas and if they're feasible and won't take too long to implement, I'll include them in the release (along with credit for the idea :) ).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions made!

- Rusty

AWH_ReApEr
March 1, 2005, 5:59 am
Maybe the option to Auto-Kick Soldiers? 0=D

By the way, I love SARJ. Use it for my own server. =)

FliesLikeABrick
March 1, 2005, 6:01 pm
wil it be able to schedule /say messages, like if i wanna say something every 5 or 10 minutes, or at specific times?

Pulp
March 1, 2005, 6:10 pm
Hmm, yes, and shortkeys for long messages (several lines), with info about the server/motd etc...

Maybe some !stat/ratio command can also be implemented...which gives your K/D ratio by server message...

Oh...and a clock... !time... and then you receive a server-msg with the time (of course the time of the country where the server is located)

n00bface
March 1, 2005, 6:15 pm
maybe it could be the players time! use an http request to that geolocator site and get the players local time and display it when the player types !time :P

Pulp
March 1, 2005, 6:54 pm
Oh, even better, didn't know that was possible :)

rusty
March 1, 2005, 7:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickwil it be able to schedule /say messages, like if i wanna say something every 5 or 10 minutes, or at specific times?

Not at the moment, but I had intended to include that feature sooner or later so I may try and squeeze it in for this release. Then you could implement your example quite easily with something like this (JavaScript) :

[code]
mainProgram = Packages.sarj.Sarj.instance();

mainProgram.sendData("/say message goes here\n");
[/code]

n00bface, where can I find an example of a reliable gelocator service, where I can send an IP as a parameter?

Denacke
March 1, 2005, 7:33 pm
Hmm i don't directly have a suggestion for your scripting tutorial, but rather want to post a bug i am having difficulties with, sorry if it is fixed already :).
<--
When I start SARJ it takes almost all my CPU, when it is connected it's not really CPU taking. When it then disconnects, it again starts to use heavy CPU load.
I don't know wether it's my machine or virtual java that ain't working too well, or either it is a small loop bug or something :)
-->

Glad to hear the new version is coming!!

rusty
March 1, 2005, 8:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by DenackeHmm i don't directly have a suggestion for your scripting tutorial, but rather want to post a bug i am having difficulties with, sorry if it is fixed already :).
<--
When I start SARJ it takes almost all my CPU, when it is connected it's not really CPU taking. When it then disconnects, it again starts to use heavy CPU load.
I don't know wether it's my machine or virtual java that ain't working too well, or either it is a small loop bug or something :)
-->

Glad to hear the new version is coming!!

Thanks for letting me know. I have done a few things to reduce the CPU usage, so hopefully this should be a lot better in the new version :)

n00bface
March 1, 2005, 8:45 pm
http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm you just enter the ip (view the source to get the forum's input tags and stuff.)

edit: forgot to add...that's an example of the program that they want you to buy. but people who know a bit about programming know how to get their script to request the page and just steal the info :) that's what i'm suggesting.

AWH_ReApEr
March 1, 2005, 11:38 pm
The time thing would be really cool.

By the way, the IP Address Locator is kind of...scarey. :|

Therier
November 7, 2005, 11:12 am
where I can get that SARJ? Becose I need stats to my server...

binarypsycho
April 25, 2006, 7:09 pm
Rusty, i have a nice idea (for me at least, XD ) that i'm trying to develop a script of and I have some algorithm thought, but maybe you (or other guys here on soldatforums) could shed a light on it...

What about a Gamestyle Voting? It would be great for those that don't have bandwidth for more than 1 server, but want to run mixed servers (CTF / TM / DM, etc).

If 80% or more of the players on the server vote for a gamestyle change (example - !votectf), the server would count the votes and disable vote for each player until the end of the voting round, calculate and then notify the change of gamestyle and then, countdown, kick all players, load a maplist with the maps of the new gamestyle, load limits / bonus / misc configs and load a map for the new gamestyle. Useful? Complex?

Let me know what do you guys think and if there's other script of this kind, already...!
Oh yeah... I've already posted on SARJ post... I still couldn't download SARJ yet... broken links =X