( search forums )
Trying to get into a LAN Game
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Papoway
March 1, 2005, 4:33 pm
In my house i have four computers and they are all linked together through a router and i am trying to create a little lan game. Problem is when i go into search for a lan game i cannot see the game that has been created. Can someone help please. Thanks in advanced. sorry for the noobish question.

b00stA
March 1, 2005, 5:14 pm
The local lobby (in a LAN) seems to be buggy.. or maybe I should say that it has never worked for me either?

Well, just find out the IP of the computer that's hosting the game and use that IP to join it.
To find out the IP of the host, press Start > Run and enter this: cmd /k ipconfig

Papoway
March 1, 2005, 5:31 pm
Yeah i thought that would work but never really tried thank you and i hope they could fix the lan trouble.

Deleted User
March 1, 2005, 5:36 pm
I don't think that the LAN lobby works because there's no LAN Lobby server.. if that makes sense.

Internet games all register their servers with the Internet lobby server, but since there's no PC to register your LAN games with, it doesn't work.

Or, I could be completely wrong. b00stA's advice is completely correct, however.

b00stA
March 1, 2005, 5:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliI don't think that the LAN lobby works because there's no LAN Lobby server.. if that makes sense.

Internet games all register their servers with the Internet lobby server, but since there's no PC to register your LAN games with, it doesn't work.

Or, I could be completely wrong. b00stA's advice is completely correct, however.
Well, there definately are ways to make something look like a lobby, but in a LAN. In many games you can see the servers hosted in the LAN, without being connected to the internet. Maybe those games could "inspire" Michal a bit.
Don't they just scan for the IPs in a certain range for open Soldat ports?

FliesLikeABrick
March 1, 2005, 6:04 pm
in order for a local lobby, there has to be a local lobby server running. people keep posting and asking why the local lobby never works, and that is because there is none. There is a central lobby server for internet games, as we all know... and in order to have a local lobby for your LAN game you have to run a lobby server... It is easier to get the IP of the server computer on your lan, or obtain the lobby server app from MM. PM Michal Marcinkowski on here and ask him for the lobby server app, I believe he will give it to you so you can run a local game, but honestly it isnt worth the effort for a simple lan game

zambo_the_clown
March 1, 2005, 6:07 pm
what if you start an internet game and get the ip of that game and connect to that using the other computers. would that work?

FliesLikeABrick
March 1, 2005, 10:31 pm
you would have to have the ports opened as if it was an internet game... it really isnt hard to get your local ip if you want to run a lan game.