( search forums )
Reputation System
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
Kazuki
March 1, 2005, 9:39 pm
Uhm, at first I recommended this as a joke, but it's worth suggesting anyway.

Quoted from the Captain Ben topic:

I think we should just replace post count with contribution. :P For example, there are forums that have this thing called a "contribution system." If you make a post that gives many good points and is meaningful to the community, reasonable members will click on the "Give (name) Contribution Points)" button and give you from, let's say, 1-3 points. Eventually, if you're respectful and stuff, you'll rack up points and people will know that you have been around for a while / should be respected. Nice thing about this is that it can't be whored so easily. With post counts, all you have to do is look for topics that you haven't posted in and post. With the C-system, people have to give you points. If you go around asking people for points, you'd just be looked down upon. Only way to whore this would be to create more accounts and give yourself contribution, which would lead nowhere because it would get your accounts all banned.

End Quote

I hope it gives a basic idea. If not, I can make sample pictures.

mar77a
March 1, 2005, 10:24 pm
We used to have that little bar udner our nicks...right?

Deleted User
March 1, 2005, 10:43 pm
Wasn't that the Karma system?

Vijchtidoodah
March 1, 2005, 11:23 pm
We need this...badly.

Kazuki
March 1, 2005, 11:31 pm
Yes, that was the karma system, but it was completely different from this. The karma system was just something like "who's the most-liked forum member." This is where you gain 'respect' points based on your posts. The karma system was based on how "cool" someone was and this is based on how much someone contributes to this community.

peemonkey
March 2, 2005, 12:50 am
sure.

zambo_the_clown
March 2, 2005, 1:55 am
this would kill off a lot of annoying people. they would realize that they aren't popular and leave....hopefully.

Deleted User
March 2, 2005, 2:23 am
I'm all for this, 100%.

Unlucky 13
March 2, 2005, 5:34 am
It'll be like vote-kicking.
"Get outta the way! *Votes yes* There!"
Everyone stupid will vote negative.
Meh, maybe for 6m-yr old members.

Deleted User
March 2, 2005, 6:13 am
As far as I understood it, you can't vote negative.

DeMonIc
March 2, 2005, 7:03 am
I like this idea :)

Captain Ben
March 2, 2005, 7:13 am
sound good.

LazehBoi
March 2, 2005, 7:30 am
Yes~

Milkman Dan
March 2, 2005, 8:05 am
NOOOO!!!!!!

m00`
March 2, 2005, 8:34 am
i hope this gets rid of paramud

March 2, 2005, 9:12 am
Almost every old forum has this feature, its pretty good but it can decrease if u spam and do bad stuff. I like it, but allow us to keep our status, like captain/lieutenant/Corporal.

Unlucky 13
March 2, 2005, 9:15 am
quote:Originally posted by Ville Mk.2As far as I understood it, you can't vote negative.

You could in karma...

Kazuki
March 2, 2005, 1:06 pm
But like I said, this is different than Karma. The way I see it is that we have to make it common courtesy to give rep points where they are deserved. You can't vote negative points. It's like a ladder. The higher you are, the more you oversee. You can't go negative steps on a ladder.

Edit: It got old, bud. It got old fast. Stop posting a different version of "I hate Paramud" in every damned topic.

Meandor
March 2, 2005, 1:58 pm
uh, this would be so abused.
Kaz: veni*, vidi, vici

LazehBoi
March 2, 2005, 2:44 pm
What about the option to rate someone negative or positive for a certain post? To prevent abuse, you could have to vote for other people before you could vote for the same person again... Or something.

DT
March 2, 2005, 4:03 pm
well as long as you can't take away points then i'm in for it... cuz i would get at least - 65^5
my karma was in the negitives to... but yea this would be good but... would it be like the karma system where you gota register for it and stuff?

Alamo
March 2, 2005, 5:38 pm
Well as an addition to the post count, yes. But not as a replacement... I think the post count (even if you can spam and stuff) gives a good idea of how long someone has been around or of how much he gave to the community.

DeMonIc
March 2, 2005, 5:59 pm
It could be placed instead of the current ranks stuff (corporal, captain) etc.

Meandor:
In italian it's Veni, vidi, vici, buf afaik in latin it's Vini, vidi, vici.

Kazuki
March 2, 2005, 9:51 pm
Demonic, that's a great idea, I think. See, the main purpose of this suggestion is to stop or reduce spamming. From what I know, I can say that most of the time spamming is done to gain post count. Why? To make yourself seem more powerful, more respectful. So, I want something to take that respect value. Instead of looking at post count, I want people to look at something other and judge. If you think about it, some people in these forums that have high post counts don't really deserve to be highly respected. With a reputation system, the purpose is clear and reasonable.

How do you guys think this would be abused? I don't think you should be able to give negative reputation points (or take away reputation points). The thing is, Styx has always warned people when they have excessively flamed or done wrong. The reputation system shouldn't change this. If someone is disrespectful, they should be warned and temporarily banned if their behavior continues instead of having reputation points taken away. I think that if you're not being respectful, you should just not get points.

Like I said, 1-3 points would be a good amount for one post. If you agree with someone's opinion and think that it should be realized, you might go ahead and give them 1 rep point. If they have completely flattered you and your comrades with a speech or contribution, you (and your companions) might give them 3 points. On the other hand, if they don't deserve any points, you just don't give them any, and if they are just plain assholes, you can report them or something.

Meandor - Demonic is right. It is what you say in Italian, but my signature is in Latin. If it really bothers you, I can change it. ;)

?
March 2, 2005, 10:30 pm
sadly I'll never reach my 1000 post goal if this comes to play :(

DT
March 2, 2005, 11:34 pm
also i thought a good way to prevent extra acounts for rep points is that thiers a 50-100 post requirement to give points

Deleted User
March 3, 2005, 12:31 am
Holy crap DT, that's a good idea.

Do we have a word from Styx on this Reputation system?

Kazuki
March 3, 2005, 12:46 am
Oh, damn. That is a good idea. Should we PM him or something?

?
March 3, 2005, 1:00 am
also it would be a good tool for picking mods...

Deleted User
March 3, 2005, 2:37 am
The only downfall to DT's idea is that it still encourages post-whoring. People might spam their way up just so they can be able to judge posts.

Vijchtidoodah
March 3, 2005, 2:54 am
I don't think that we should expect people to vote on every single post, good or bad. Only the really important, well thought out ideas should get reputation points.

As for the count, should it be divided by your post count, or should it just stand on its own?

Kazuki
March 3, 2005, 4:24 am
Yeah, I was thinking that not every single post would be voted on, only important ones. I really don't know how it will be displayed. That's up to Styx if he decides this is a worthy idea.

Meandor
March 3, 2005, 2:32 pm
I don't think so. It's just a spelling issue, but in the original text it is veni (veio, is, veni, venire), try searching for a latin grammar with paradigmd or something.

b00stA
March 3, 2005, 3:22 pm
This might be a good idea, but the chance that this will be implemented is pretty small.
Something like this doesn't already exist (at least for Snitz Forums) and I'm not sure Styx would like to script this himself.

?
March 3, 2005, 8:53 pm
If he did we could also set a limit, you can only vote on a person once a day.