( search forums )
graphic card question
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
zambo_the_clown
March 3, 2005, 6:12 am
does anyone know if the radeon 9200 supports directx 9.0 %100?

Captain Ben
March 3, 2005, 7:37 am
i think this is one of those 'ask lapis' things...

Vijchtidoodah
March 3, 2005, 7:52 am
Ben, stop spamming.

Zambo, older versions of that card seem to work fine with DX 9.0, but you have to tune down the settings on your games a lot. However, the Radeon site only says something about 8.1 compatibility.

palloco
March 3, 2005, 9:35 am
No, it is not fully compatible

papasurf31
March 3, 2005, 8:32 pm
what about a 9700 mobile, will that work?

FliesLikeABrick
March 3, 2005, 9:11 pm
radeon 9200 is the most unstable gfx card ive ever had the displeasure of using in a couple computers. the instability was noticably a couple times, but the 9200 is 100% incompatible with SP2, the computer starts up in the background, but the display freezes on a distorted version of the windows xp load screen

AerialAssault
March 3, 2005, 9:22 pm
why on earth would you buy a 9200?

Deleted User
March 4, 2005, 12:20 am
You can get a 9800 Pro fairly cheap, and then soft-mod it to a 9800 XT for free. They're the same board, chipset, and all.

AerialAssault
March 4, 2005, 1:40 am
you can get a 6600 even cheaper.

_Mancer_
March 4, 2005, 2:29 am
Dude, holy crap. I was pondering this for a while and I think I found out.

You see on christmas my mother bought me a Readon 9200...exact same one as above. We install it and soldat seems fine for a while but just recently I changed something in the settings and its been screwed ever since. I went back into the settings and put it to where it originally was but there was no hope. I even downloaded a driver to try to set things straight but that didnt help at all. You see...soldat used to run smoothly but now the screen literally shakes.

RADEON 9200 Series

DNA 3.2.4.10 Driver

Whoever can solve this problem will be thanked forever. And ill make you free adobe stuff too :D

As I run through maps like Ctf_Crashed, b2b, Voland, anything, the screen runs smooth for about 2 seconds...then STALLS and the screen is DRAGGED BACK from its original position for about .5 seconds, and this happens every 2 seconds and messes up my aim.

Suggestions people? I want this bugger to be fixed...

FliesLikeABrick
March 4, 2005, 2:50 am
as I said on AIM (saying it again here for public emphasis), buy a new video card

Deleted User
March 4, 2005, 2:56 am
Most of the first 9200's were released with bad chipsets, I believe. It's beyond the power of man to fix.

Buy a new video card.

zambo_the_clown
March 4, 2005, 3:06 am
i have way over the requirements for doom 3 but my video card is the only thing i think that makes it a little skippy sometimes. im getting a radeon 9800 256mb card which i know supports directx 9. i got the 9200 for $99 bucks a while on back and i thought it would kick ass and it did. played all my games fine. i have no problems with the 9200 as it works great but i just need something that supports directx 9. this sucks :(

FliesLikeABrick
March 4, 2005, 3:11 am
on my laptop i have a 9600 pro which can run hl^2 at 1400x1050 nice and smooth. lappy is 1.8ghz pM

zambo_the_clown
March 4, 2005, 3:45 am
ok i figured it out. i searched my graphic cards cd and i found the directx setup folder. in that folder the setup.exe file is names "DX9" and on the .pdf file in the documentation it says

CD Content

The Catalyst software suite 3.2 contains the following:
RADEON display driver 7.84
The only directx 9.0 certified driver in the industry!
Multimedia Center 8.1
ect.....

So there i have two pieces of evidence that the 9200 supports DX9.0 and it even has DX9.0 setup files on cd.

i think i have figured out the real problem. I have a 1.6 ghz processor (AMD athlon) and you can select on the bios your clock speed, which i can select the following:
133/133mhz-1.6ghz
100/133mhz-1050mhz
100/100mhz-1050mhz

When i run my bus at 133mhz (which is 1.6ghz speed) the computer freezes when i play doom3. this is a problem in which my clockspeed is being overran. set at 1050mhz it runs but a little skippy and doom 3 requires recommended 1.5ghz AMD (Sh!t) so i have to find a way to fix this. anyone got any ideas???

PS: im already getting new video card sent to me and theres nothing wrong with my video card. well a new and better video card is something i cant turn down ^_^!!!

AerialAssault
March 4, 2005, 5:42 am
you know that with a 9800, 256VRAM wont be any different than 128VRAM performance wise? and that 9200 does support DX9, but it still sucks. dont use catalyst drivers, they arent as good as DNA drivers. google it.

palloco
March 4, 2005, 9:22 am
Zambo, of course 9200 supports dx90, but you asked if it was 100% compatible and it is not 100% compatible. A graphic card cannot does not support a version of dx when it is unable to run any of those instructions.
For example:
Voodoo cards are not fully compatible with dx 8, but you can run perfectly soldat(which needs dx8.1) on them because the dx8.1 instructions are do not required for the graphic card(they may be network instructions or can be emulated by CPU...) or the graphic card can run them but not giving the expected result(I still saw that my card run dx 8.1 graphical tests much better than the latest integrated intel graphic card which is of course fully compatible with those instructions)

Mancer, dna drivers are known to give some specifical problems. Uninstall them and install either omega drivers or official catalyst drivers

Tha Doggfather
March 4, 2005, 12:29 pm
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssaultyou know that with a 9800, 256VRAM wont be any different than 128VRAM performance wise?

True, I read a review somewhere that put the Radeon 9800 (think it was Pro, or maybe the XT) with 128 MB vs the 256 MB version.

In most games, the 128MB and 256MB version were too close to see and feel a difference, we're talking about performance gains of less than a percent here.

There was even a test where the 128 MB was faster than the 256 MB!

So save yourself some cash and buy the exact same card with 128 MB.

palloco
March 4, 2005, 1:17 pm
The important thing is not VRAM, it is the interface and pipelines. In those cards when they have 256 mb they got 128 mbit interface, and the ones wiht 128mb vram have 256 mbit. Having an interface of 256 mbit is much better. There are aswell SE graphic cards that can be tweaked in order to enable all pipelines so you could increase its performance as if they were pro or xt.

catalyst drivers aren't as good as dna? It depends on what.

zambo_the_clown
March 4, 2005, 4:34 pm
with 256 radeon 9800 ill never have to update my card again lol. no im getting that vid card, 80gig ide harrdrive, and a amd 2.4ghz processor from ebay all for just $395.36, i been saving and i get $9.75 an hour just for moving [IMAGE]. work slow and carry less=more hours and less stress. the motherboard i think is the problem. where can i get the latest drivers for amd athlon?

Deleted User
March 4, 2005, 5:09 pm
Your CPU shouldn't require any drivers, zambo the clown. However, you can update your motherboard's BIOS, but its only recommended you do that in cases where its really needed.

zambo_the_clown
March 4, 2005, 6:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by Lapis_LazuliYour CPU shouldn't require any drivers, zambo the clown. However, you can update your motherboard's BIOS, but its only recommended you do that in cases where its really needed.

once i did update my divers for my bios, but that doesnt help. im think i have my solution:

1. little faster motherboard
2. videocard that supports directx9 fully

thanks for the help everyone.

_Mancer_
March 4, 2005, 6:49 pm
My computer cant handle more than 128MB Ram....what video card should I get then?

zambo_the_clown
March 4, 2005, 10:32 pm
nividaNT64 (32mb) i have one and it works fine but not on games that require 64mb recommended. you can look for 64mb vidcards