( search forums )
Led Zeppelin's (hidden) satanic message
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
SuperKill
March 3, 2005, 3:35 pm
was it like.. already famous?
cause i've just heard about it yesterday.

for those that dont know - it was rumored (proven?) that one of Led Zeppelin's songs, Stairway to Heaven, contained a hidden message that contained satanic content, that could be heard when you play a certin part of the song (4:20 - 4:40) when playing it reversed.

an easy check could be preformed here

that thing is no hoax, i've tried it myself with windows default .wav player and its true.

so i was wondering about what do you people think about it; did the band wanted to show they are all for satan, and announced it in a way they couldnt be discovered? (there's a theory about a member of the band, teaching reversed english to some of the band's fans).
did it happened randomly? highly uncommon but yea, state your opinion.

Tha Doggfather
March 3, 2005, 4:07 pm
I think everybody knows about it already, well, I do.

Denacke
March 3, 2005, 4:08 pm
Think it's more coincidence then on purpose tbh

peemonkey
March 3, 2005, 4:09 pm
i learned about it the hard way, with vinyl. it's a load of [IMAGE], but pretty funny. 'a little toolshed where he made us suffer, sad satan' made me piss myself with laughter. sounds like a disturbing childhood inicedent involving a stranger to me :P

n00bface
March 3, 2005, 4:21 pm
old, very old. there was a site with a message by the beatles too that was better than the stairway to heaven one

FliesLikeABrick
March 3, 2005, 4:52 pm
very old

Pulp
March 3, 2005, 5:00 pm
http://www.wootang.net/backmask/ , some database of hidden messages in popmusic...

The Geologist
March 3, 2005, 5:15 pm
Peole can will themselves to believe just about anything.

MercyM
March 3, 2005, 5:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by Tha DoggfatherI think everybody knows about it already, well, I do.

Well, not me.

SuperKill
March 3, 2005, 5:25 pm
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistPeole can will themselves to believe just about anything.

ok,
so you must have SOMETHING to say about it.. what will that thing be?

are you saying this thing is a fake? is it just our imagination ?
nobody said something like - ITS DEMONS THEY TOOK CONTROLL OVER THEIR MINDS!!11 LED ZEPPELIN SOLD THEIR SOULS TO THE DEVIL!

so just explain yourself.

peemonkey
March 3, 2005, 6:18 pm
well it does say what people think it says, but it's likely unintentional. ill ask robert plant after the rapture

STEELIX
March 3, 2005, 7:23 pm
It's scary...

_Mancer_
March 3, 2005, 7:43 pm
This satanic message was like discovered the day they released that album. Old news.

Liber_Lupus
March 3, 2005, 7:48 pm
This is creepy..seriously, it gave me chills. One was from the beatles "I worship Satan"

peemonkey
March 3, 2005, 7:52 pm
pink floyd's got hundreds, but many are intentional. "congradulations, you've discovered the secret message. Please send your answers..." :P
that's why vinyl kicks everyone's ass. you can play backwards at whatever speed you desire, just dont [IMAGE] up your needle.

The Geologist
March 3, 2005, 8:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKill
ok,
so you must have SOMETHING to say about it.. what will that thing be?

are you saying this thing is a fake? is it just our imagination ?
nobody said something like - ITS DEMONS THEY TOOK CONTROLL OVER THEIR MINDS!!11 LED ZEPPELIN SOLD THEIR SOULS TO THE DEVIL!

so just explain yourself.

1) Yes, it's fake. No messages to Satan.
2) Instead of fake, maybe coincidence is a better word.
3) With the idea planted in your head, you can be led to hear almost anything really. Suggestion is a powerful process, especially when you don't necessarily know what you're looking/listening for.
4) On that note, did you hear this in the song and then search for what it could mean? Or did you hear the rumor and then listen to the song? Think about it.
5) So just say please next time :D

papasurf31
March 3, 2005, 8:31 pm
There was a long drawn out "cranbery sauce" at the end of a beatles song, and everyone though it was john lennon saying "I burried Paul", during the whole Paul is dead times.

n00bface
March 3, 2005, 8:38 pm
Paul is a dead man, miss him, miss him MISS HIM!!!

Jaz
March 3, 2005, 9:41 pm
I didnt know about that, its quite mad, doeesnt sound like a coincidence.

peemonkey
March 3, 2005, 10:05 pm
paul's [IMAGE]ing dead!!!

that fuking sniper
March 4, 2005, 12:12 am
Most of those are *very* coincidental. I've visited many sites which claimed that they all discovered that some band is satanic and whatnot. One has to admit that most of the "discoveries" barely sound like the description of the reversed message reads. I agree with Geo on the fact that those people who contribute to the sites are just pushing it. The Beatles' one, especially, sounds nothing like "I worship Satan". I don't know where do these people come up with that crap. On a second note, assuming that these secret messages are intentional, who gives a crap? Has everyone forgot about the music and went on to the agenda? I haven't, for one. The *only* thing I value in a music CD is the music. Sometimes the lyrics do pass a clever point (Pink Floyd and The Beatles, notably), but the bottom line of any music band is the music they make.

wormdundee
March 4, 2005, 12:13 am
turn me on dead man :D

Vijchtidoodah
March 4, 2005, 12:56 am
quote:Originally posted by that fuking sniper Sometimes the lyrics do pass a clever point(Pink Floyd and The Beatles, notably), but the bottom line of any music band is the music they make.

Pink Floyd, yes. Beatles, no. I can't recall ever hearing any "clever points" in Beatles music...

As for the bottom line of any band being the music they make, that's total [IMAGE]e. Do you really think that Robert Plant, Roger Waters, Kurt Cobain, Mozart, Beethoven, or any great song writer really chose to compose a beautiful work of art that he felt was meaningful enough to be shared with the rest of the world just so that it could sound good? Hell no. Plant was writing about the significant aspects of his life and times, Waters wrote about his separation from his father, Cobain wrote about his addictions and pain, and Beethoven and Mozart turned vibrating metal into the basest of human emotion.

I'm liable to believe that the reason you think that the only thing that matters is "the music" is because you were either never raised around truly great music by having listened to Blink 182 and Britney Spears your entire life, or you never took time or weren't able to recognize the utter significance of the spoken word and feeling that an artist put into his work.

that fuking sniper
March 4, 2005, 2:16 am
Music includes lyrics. By "The bottom line of every band is the music" I meant that what they have on the record, as in *their overt message through their music* is what matters, and not the secret messages. I write poetry myself, and know the importance of the message of music first-hand.

You took quite a leap there, assuming that I was never raised around good music or that I listened to Blink 182 and Britney Spears for the span of my life. Don't try to be bold and mock me for something you might not have understood, that is, in this case, my speech. I wouldn't resort to mockery and humiliation to draw favour to my standpoint, however, so I won't.

[Edit]: As a musician, though, I do tend to focus more on the musicianship (skills, technique, and style) of the artist first, and then on their overt message. Sue me.

Vijchtidoodah
March 4, 2005, 2:32 am
I don't think that's what you really meant, considering that you took note of the lyrics and then, through the syntax of your sentence, claimed that the music is more important effectively seperating the two. I also never assumed anything, I was just offering likely reasons for your opinion. And finally, I never mocked you or even attempted to, I was just pointing out that you were blatantly wrong (in the case of great music).

that fuking sniper
March 4, 2005, 2:47 am
You're right, I didn't use a good syntax in my first post. I didn't think the fact that you disagreed with me is mockery. What I considered to be (indirect) mockery is this: "I'm liable to believe that the reason you think that the only thing that matters is "the music" is because you were either never raised around truly great music by having listened to Blink 182 and Britney Spears your entire life". Indirect because, obviously, it has the word "believe" in it, but it went too far from being a legitimate reason for an opinion that I would have on musicians' messages, as Britney Spears and Blink 182 are popular examples of "bad brainless/emo" music by many.

At any rate, this effectively is a stalemate, as we can go back and fourth about the issue of correct wording, context, and whatnot. I understand your perspective and hope that you understand mine. Let this thread go back to its original subject.

Vijchtidoodah
March 4, 2005, 2:57 am
*Shakes hand*

As long as you agree that the bottom line isn't just the sound that comes from the bands instruments...

Milkman Dan
March 4, 2005, 3:35 am
NOW YOU ALL KNOW THE POWER OF SATAN!

Captain Ben
March 4, 2005, 9:46 am
and that other guy dressed in white... oh yeah, jesus!