( search forums )
How Should I Rank Players?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Vostok 4
March 4, 2005, 6:46 pm
I'm writing my own ranking system (like U13's but different) and I want to know what is the best way to rank people. I'm not going to do K:D because some guy comes on the server, goes 100-29, leaves, and no one can get that high of a K:D until the next guy who plays one round ;P

I was thinking doing it like Psychostats where there is a point system, so:

Skill = Kills * 1.5 + K:D * 500 + Awards

So if someone has a 1:1 KD, and 700 kills they have 1550 points versus someone who has 100 kills but a 2:1 K:D would only have 1100. Now if someone is good and they play long, they still get first place faster than someone who just [IMAGE] up on the kills (so skill is more heavily weighted than just plain kills). Awards would be say 250 for most kills, and 100 for each most kills with weapon, or something like that. Sounds good?

Kazuki
March 4, 2005, 6:52 pm
Whoo. You might have something there, but I wouldn't really know. Do you think you could make an award that encourages the use of different weapons? For example, kills with the player's least used weapon would be worth more than with the most used weapon of that player. It's just an idea, but an interesting one. Anyway, you should discuss this with FliesLikeABrick. :)

_Mancer_
March 4, 2005, 6:53 pm
Medals. Bronze Silver Gold Platinum. Do it by K:D Ratio, and make the advantage of kills to death maybe 2 to 1 or less to obtain each medal.

Vostok 4
March 4, 2005, 6:57 pm
Mancer, but as stated K:D is way too skewed for results, unless I make minimum ranked kills to be something like 500 but I want people to get hooked on the stats ;)

Kazuki, I could possibly create the kill stats based on weapon modifiers (so you get double the points for knife or chainsaw or LAW, but 0.75 for the FN) but I don't want the load to become too hard on the server... although I can take a look at psycho storm's way of doing it efficiently. I don't want to use least weapon used because someone could hop on and start whoring with ONLY one gun, then all the other guns are the least weapons used and when they come on after the next stats update they just use another to crazy pad their stats.

_Mancer_
March 4, 2005, 7:11 pm
Maybe you should make the nunbers higher so people will play longer..

Maybe keeping the 'medals' at a top rank. Premium medal could be like...10000 kills. And just make that less for the other 'medals' if thats what you're doing. But if a server had this I would gladley play it all the time.

Vostok 4
March 4, 2005, 7:14 pm
Oh oh oh I think I see you are saying. So its like a static award, always impacting your skill ONCE you achieve it (so when you get 1000 kills you get 250 extra points, and a bronze medal, then 2000 you get 750 extra points and a silver) stuff like that right? I like that actually... I really do :) You can count on that being in there 100%.

Kazuki
March 4, 2005, 9:18 pm
Nice idea, Mancer. I really like that one.

Vostok, I don't think you understood me. I meant individually. For example, let's say that I use Desert Eagles the most and Barret the least. Well, then maybe all kills I make with Desert Eagles are only worth 1 point, but all kills I make with Barret are worth 2. If I used M79 the least, then all kills I make with the M79 are worth 2 points. See, the thing is that eventually if people want to get the most points that they can, they will use their least used weapon a lot. However, the more they use it, the less less-used it is. Do you see what I'm saying. This means that if they always use their least used weapon, they will always vary weapons. ;)

For example, if I use Barret a lot so I can get 2 points per kill, then the next time the server goes up, my least used weapon might be the Ruger. So then I use the Ruger instead of the Barret.

... You know, now that I look at it, it's not such a good idea after all, because if you choose to use the weapon you always use, you're missing out on points, and will be left behind for something that you have the right to do.

I guess it's all up to you on this one.

mar77a
March 4, 2005, 10:50 pm
Can you add me on MSN Vostok? jmartty@hotmail.com

Vostok 4
March 4, 2005, 11:50 pm
Kazuki, what I was saying is if you use the Deagles the most... then you start using the Barret, your first 100 or so kills pending on how many you have with the deagle will be double impact. Then, you can use the Barret to have way more than deagle, then go back to deagle and you get double the points AGAIN, but really you are only using 2 guns you may be VERY good with... do you see what I'm saying? :) I think I'm gonna try out my way, + the static awards that Mancer gave, and the award for being #1 ranked per weapon and #1 ranked for kills.

mar77a, added.

chakapoko maker
March 5, 2005, 12:07 am
- classify sum (kill+death-selfkill) by the amount of sum, like newbew who has 0~1400 sum to veteran who has much.
- sort ratio (kill/death) by sum, like a tab of tabbrowser.

Deleted User
June 10, 2005, 1:59 am
the better score, the better ranking!

Cookie`
June 10, 2005, 2:03 am
I like the idea of more points for kills with certain weapons myself :)

i am ahab
June 10, 2005, 1:29 pm
whatcha using to write this dude? could impact how you need to think about implementing it.
well howabout, if a player uses a certain weapon a lot, say barrett, then they get 10 points fo example for the first few kills. then 9. then 8 etc etc.
but while the points for consecutive kills with the same weapon go down then there is a scale for that player with the other weapons that looks something like:

weapon:        ruger
points for kill:   10
weapon:        m79
weapon:        barrett
weapon:        minigun

but then after a few kills the scale changes to something like:

weapon:        ruger
points for kill:   12
weapon:        m79
points for kill:   13
weapon:        barrett
points for kill:   8
weapon:        minigun

or some other sort of sliding scale.... based on certain weapons changing more than other....
whatcha think?

Outcast
June 10, 2005, 2:31 pm
You sure are bright.

Deleted User
June 10, 2005, 3:02 pm
dudes.. this is an old thread

i am ahab
June 10, 2005, 3:43 pm
owies. im just trying to get a simple idea across to someone. based on the average ability of people to take on new ideas in this forum i thought best to keep it simple, slovenian ;P

old thread maybe dude. but he asked for ideas....

FliesLikeABrick
June 10, 2005, 5:22 pm
I have looked at a TON of algorithms/formulas, some of which work extremely well. I simply choose to keep it simple because I really don't want a barrage of IMs from people asking me to explain the ranking system. Everyone got confused even when i just tried Points/Deaths for a couple days.

For those of you who are registered on the U13 site, or are interested enough in this topic to register, there is a very in-detail thread on this exact topic at http://dyn.u13.net:6080/index.php?p=viewthread&threadid=92 and it has a lot of very good, very detailed, very well explained formulas and ideas

Deleted User
June 10, 2005, 5:46 pm
Again, A year old thread, can we please just let them die people, and get back to the threads we were discusing before?

FliesLikeABrick
June 10, 2005, 8:56 pm
hm, i wouldnt have posted if i had realized it was a revived thread

edit: even moreso if i had realized it was revived with a spam post from that little number-worshiper up there

i am ahab
June 13, 2005, 12:27 pm
how is it a revived thread from last year bm? the first post was on march 2005.
yeah maybe mr rainbow sig was playing silly monkeys but paying him attention doesnt help. i only wrote because i thought it was recent enough that vostok might still be bothered.
cheers for the link brickie. i'm interested in this cra-zey stuff....