( search forums )
What did u first think of soldat
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
mickle89
March 7, 2005, 12:06 pm
What did u first think of soldat when u first played it??

LOL here's my story.....I had always been playing dos games with keyboard b4 so thats how i tried to play soldat -- only with keys...by god it was hard, u could not aim. BTW this was on my Pentium 233, 64mb ram, 2mb NOT 3D card with a 1 gig HDD

SPARTAN_III
March 7, 2005, 2:02 pm
wah...so low specs....omfg

first time i saw it, i was like "omg wtf this game pwnzors all other 2d games it rules!!"

MercyM
March 7, 2005, 2:11 pm
I was just like "Got to tell my friends!" in finnish. :P

Liber_Lupus
March 7, 2005, 2:24 pm
"Wtf is this? Some crappy 2d game...blah" after few minutes of playing "This game is awesome".

palloco
March 7, 2005, 3:12 pm
"Nice game, I'll continue playing it after checking these downloads". And 8 months later I started playing.
BTW I doubt that you told the truth, a non 3d-accelerator graphic card should not support any dx8.1 instruction. What graphic card was it? A Matrox?

Teh Panda
March 7, 2005, 3:25 pm
My friend show'd it to me in 105b... We played it on LAN and i wanted it to my own comp too :)

blackdevil0742
March 7, 2005, 3:47 pm
same as Liber_Lupus

n00bface
March 7, 2005, 4:38 pm
I was playing wolfenstein and some asshole sent me the link...he says it was the best multiplayer game in the history of ever. so i tried it and thought it sucked. for some reason i started playing it and got addicted about a month later.

Jaz
March 7, 2005, 4:43 pm
someone from spain showed me it. we went minigun surfing on ctf_run...oh fun fun.

Leo Da Lunerfox
March 7, 2005, 5:33 pm
I think it was Download.com, I somehow was just mezmerized by it and even joined the forums before I had the video card to play it (It was also a 2mb non 3d, so I seriously doubt that you could play soldat on those specs...)

Alamo
March 7, 2005, 5:40 pm
I was introduced to it on some LAN party with my friends. It was late in the night, I looked at the graphics and said: 'You gotta be kidding me!' They insisted on me trying it and well here I am ^^ I was like totally impressed by the funny gameplay, the splatter and everything... 105b back then.

Zero72
March 7, 2005, 6:33 pm
I was pretty impressed with the game right from the start. Something about being able to see your dog tags flying around as you moved amused me. It was also refreshingly brutal and violent without being grossly explicit, if you know what I mean. I was pretty much hooked.

Deleted User
March 7, 2005, 8:57 pm
My fried found it on GameHippo.com and I saw him playing it and he said it was a good game. I took one look at it and said "You're [IMAGE]ing kidding me..." Then I downloaded it a month later and started playing like crazy.

Captain Ben
March 7, 2005, 10:21 pm
game hippo only has freeware on it. they don't even have shareware games...
i was looking for a small multiplayer game just to pass the time before i came back to australia.

Spectral
March 8, 2005, 12:54 am
At first I thought I was really good because I got recruited not long after I started...and hence liked the game since I felt important.

lastpatriot
March 8, 2005, 1:45 am
I played some other games, and on the forum one day, some guy said "Omigod, let's play Soldat!"

20 minutes later(this was in 1.1, when the download took a hell of a long time): "This is the greatest game ever!"

Michal
March 8, 2005, 2:16 am
My first time playing I thought that the Aug was not a real gun :P
But of course I thought this game was awesome, even though I never played online.
When I could get a hold of a computer with a net connection I downloaded as many maps as I could and brought them back to my comp. I remember some good times in ctf_Lakefight (fighting bots of course).

Roy
March 8, 2005, 3:41 am
I had no idea what was going on. I seriously misinterpreted what was going on, visually, because before I played no one had actually explained what Soldat actually WAS. Soon, I figured it out, though, and realized what an amazingly fun game it is. <3

ThaD
March 8, 2005, 9:26 am
I don't remember :)

Jap_man
March 8, 2005, 9:36 am
Lazehboi showed me soldat i think a little over a year ago.
When I first played it I was impressed by it's fun 2D gameplay.

Wopkeuh
March 8, 2005, 10:41 am
I was a liero fan back then... Back then I was active in looking for freeware games... There were many liero clones, but soldat was quite different... It was a version before 1.05b and I got hooked... When later versions emerged I stopped playing, because it didn't have the same feel... Now it's back and I'm hooked once again.

Keron Cyst
March 8, 2005, 8:41 pm
I first touched Soldat years ago when I found out that it was turned in Software Mode and FPS was -5 :-P I didn't realize that the options could possibly have been able to change that, so I ignorantly deleted it. Now, just last mid-Nov., I got it again after seeing Soldat - Weapon Variety.AVI sent to me by a buddy via AIM (and after drooling ;-)), I checked the options to see if I could do anything, and voila! B-) I was hooked instantly (I still am)... and sucked at it for the first few weeks X-D

grand_diablo
March 8, 2005, 9:22 pm
I was explicitly searching for 2d shooters back in 56k times on my old P166. I found Soldat, saw the screens, downloaded it but couldnt play it properly on my S3 card (yet, it ran, but [IMAGE]ing slow with graphic errors all over the place). Then forgot about it, but shortly after I got DSL (which was in the end of may '01) I remembered it, then downloaded the new version and got addicted.

dr.ON
March 8, 2005, 9:41 pm
I was browsing 2d games.
Waahhh Soldat(hmm, russian word :D), nice screens. dln'
Playn': Omg that stinks
2nd playn': hmmmm :(
3rd: im kickin bots!
4rd; net play, minigun owns
5th: woah i love de's
6th: ill try knife
7-100; sniping's coll
100-1xxxxxxxxx: wooohooooo i love it XD

p.s. : after watching some movie about war with guns im playing soldat :D

Indiana Jones
March 10, 2005, 12:09 am
I guess i was just a pathetic low life searching for soem games to fit my pathetic com. And I found Soldat and thought it was pathetic enough to be on my com. But after 2hr of playing/brainwashing, I realized soldat doesn't deserve to be on my pathetic com and that's how I finally bought a com with pentium3 compacity. I will never close my eyes on 2d games ever.

Deleted User
April 6, 2005, 10:26 pm
I was amazed of how the dead body fell downwards and hit something and rolled and stuff and it was awesome.. still is

Mini Man
April 6, 2005, 11:06 pm
lol good topic.
I was browsing http://www.MMORPG.com, when i found it, i thought Hmmm well if its massivly multiplayer with those graphics it must be good & from experinces with not so good graphic games in the past (Runescape, when it was 2D, www.runescape.com) i thought hell! i'll give it a shot, was pretty cool started playing with bots (Lowest setting i think) thought hey this is easy i bet i could own people online, of course the lobby didnt work, so i found the fourms & they helped me! & as usual i got owned by people online. soon found clans & things, game really got going, Stopped for a while started....etc

Kirby_106
April 7, 2005, 12:20 am
I uh...found it on google

Zakreon
April 7, 2005, 12:22 am
I got interested in this by playing it on a school comp, during class!
the teacher never caught me. that night i went online and downloaded the game right away. i thought it would be like 100mb because the smoothness
of the game was unlike any other 2d game ive ever played.. turns out it
was very small :D i played the game the whole weekend and have been hooked ever since

awhile after i asked him why he had it on the comp, he said he
needed it to run the program on the comp. suuuuure

Deleted User
April 7, 2005, 1:48 am
i played this game at radioshack and i was laughing my head off becus the bodies exploding and crap... i was 12

Kirby_106
April 7, 2005, 2:26 am
Radioshack?!

Mini Man
April 7, 2005, 1:23 pm
lol dascoo, you mean you were a year younger? :p & Zakreon looks like ure teacher has a good taste in games :)

EXR3dn3ck
April 7, 2005, 1:32 pm
i thought it was like "mario with a chaingun" really

DT
April 7, 2005, 3:05 pm
When my flamethrower freind gave me a link to it i played it and thought...
That it was likke stick soldiers... BOY was i wrong
and then when i found out it wasn't a FPS and i'm not to good at those...
i played it online and started ruleing.. and then the barreturds came and i thought...
i will Previl!
and i did...

Deleted User
April 7, 2005, 4:45 pm
Hmm... "That's what I was looking for"
Wormslike view + realtime + multiplayer

Felix
April 7, 2005, 5:04 pm
when i tryed soldat,i have a lot laughs, because I it was very funny,
even if I often get killed:)
And I said: all this fun! Free! Excellent! LET'S PLAY!!!

XD

m00`
April 8, 2005, 6:52 am
why is the first impression to many people "OMGZ 2D GAME SO SUCKY" the reason i liked this game when i first saw it was because it was 2D...

Dowhook
April 8, 2005, 9:55 am
WTF is that?!?

EndertheXenocide
April 8, 2005, 11:58 pm
I had been sent a link from a few of my hometown friends. They sent me the link and told me to download it right away. They said the game kicks ass. So I downloaded it. Played a little online. Checked how the controls all worked. It wasn't for about after 3 weeks that i finally got use to some of the controls. I only played when my friends we online. I didn't know how to request servers (actually i don't think there was a request versions button. it was back in version 1.0.4. I believe)

Deleted User
April 9, 2005, 5:03 am
I was introduced to soldat when a few of my friends were over and we were drinkin (bored out of our MINDS). My friend Chris downloaded it onto my comp and said "hey man, check this game out". He showed me the game, but it didn't seem too appealing (prolly cuz I wasn't playing it lol). After that night i didn't play it for about a week, then one day I was bored and thought I'd give it a try. I didn't realize you could play online, so I spent a while usin the barret to kill bots. I told my friend i like it and he told me I could play it online, and I was INSTANTLY hooked. I soon after became a Rugertard. Michal you are a GENIUS!!

AerialAssault
April 9, 2005, 5:41 am
like 2 years ago, i saw it on G4's no budget gamer. so i downloaded it. and it was cool.

Merach
April 14, 2005, 10:58 am
Liero was much funny. I played a lot with a friend at the University. But we had some problems with keyboard interference with two controls on it. Liero with online capabilities was only a rumour, and this friend was searching for a game similar to Liero but with online gameplay. Finally he found it, was Soldat, 1.1.4 I think, I started to playing, trying to challenge my friend, but we never played together, he was addicted to other games but I... I was really addicted to Soldat, playing firstly against bots and after that playing online.
The trying period was finnished to play online, then I stopped playing, but time after I finally choose registering the game. 7? and was mine, and online playing was much more funny. After that, Soldat came free to play online again :S. But I've never complain about this payment, best 7? I spent ever.
-

-
99+- quote:Originally posted by WopkeuhI was a liero fan back then... Back then I was active in looking for freeware games... There were many liero clones, but soldat was quite different... It was a version before 1.05b and I got hooked... When later versions emerged I stopped playing, because it didn't have the same feel... Now it's back and I'm hooked once again.

MOFO NOFO
April 14, 2005, 12:49 pm
i used to play neopets.. a cool game, considering its only text, then liquid metal told me about runescape, the i played that for a year, during that time, he told me of stick soldiers, i d/led it and went... THIS IS GAY IM GOIN BACK ON RS FOR ANOTHER YEAR.. then shortly after, he showed me soldat, it was ver 1.1, and i went on it and said, atleast its better then damn stick-thing, i played for 3 hours...

skip a year and you get where i am now :D

Colin_00
April 14, 2005, 7:08 pm
I, i0.sys, have been playing for a while, i do remember any version numbers. The earlist I rememeber was 1.1.3b, I was playing before that, but because I am on dialup, I never got to try all the other versions. I played offline/and on LAN, until i tried it out on my 28.8k, and was amazed I could play online. i was introduced to this game in my A+ Certification Class in my high school, and have been playing ever since. my first soldat machine was an AMD K6-2 500MHz, Dual 12MB Voodoo 2's SLI, Sound Blaster live.

I also introduce alot of people to soldat, who also now play on a daily bases. i have a 4 computer Lan in my basement dedicated to older games Soldat, Starcraft, Warcraft 2, Half-life. but everyone always comes to my place to play soldat, I just love this GAME!!

<<n8v>>i0.sys 2.0 Final

Happy Camper
April 16, 2005, 7:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssaultlike 2 years ago, i saw it on G4's no budget gamer. so i downloaded it. and it was cool.

Ditto

zoldat
April 16, 2005, 8:17 pm
i saw a frind play itt and thougt: "omg i MUST PLAY THAT GAME WERE TO GET IT" my frind: *silence* and then: "[IMAGE]ING TELL ME" myfrind: *fell of the chair and look tarified opon me and said soldat.pl* and i was happy : )

Alamo
April 17, 2005, 6:46 pm
I thought:"Jesus! Those gfx suck!"
When I was forced to play it I had an enlightening moment though. Gfx don't make the game.

Deleted User
April 17, 2005, 6:52 pm
my brother showed it to me after we started playing massive online games. before we were stuck on something called 'Tibia'. it was a really gay RPG online. he showed me soldat and i was amazed. i used the minigun like crazy. after that i just played it every once and a while