( search forums )
Bot Trainer
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
MATT0121
March 7, 2005, 11:56 pm
It would be awesome if there was a "bot trainer" program. You would open up your map in it and press a hotkey for bot 1 to start "training." You run and fly through the map just how you want the bot to. When you are finished you hit another hotkey to stop "training." Then you can choose to test it by watching a bot go through it, redo bot one, or go on to another bot. The program will track your movements and interpret them into waypoints. This would be great for training maps or difficult fly-jump maneuvers.

Meandor
March 8, 2005, 6:10 pm
Actually, this would be perfect to do waypoints for maps quickly. But it probably requires a lot of work.

MercyM
March 8, 2005, 6:12 pm
Yeah, need a lot of work. I like this.

SERIAL KILLeR
March 8, 2005, 6:54 pm
Actualy this was in soldat before i'hv seen it in soldat 0.9.4c

papasurf31
March 8, 2005, 8:03 pm
really? then why the new system, which moct everyone can agree is inferior.

Magniitude
March 8, 2005, 8:13 pm
Yea, it sounds simple and uncomplicated.

kilroy1501
March 8, 2005, 9:50 pm
It would be really simple. Just add a waypoint at the players position every instance, connect them, then see what keys are being presses(A,S,D,W,right-click) to see which direction the bot should go.

But adding a waypoint every instance would end up being like 1000 waypoints. I dont know, but Soldat might not like that

Michal
March 8, 2005, 9:55 pm
Hmmm this would be an excellent system for waypointing. Maybe if there are too many waypoints created in this way there should be a timer, 1 waypoint placed every 2 seconds or something like that.

BManx2000
March 8, 2005, 10:42 pm
The waypoint system would have to be reworked for this since bots seem to be incapable of responding to direction changes while jetting.

zyxstand
March 8, 2005, 11:29 pm
well i had an idea like this just recently...i can't find it i'd otherwise post the link. mine of course was much better. it talked about letting bots have BRAINS! so that they basically can be able to manoouver around the map wihtout setting waypoints. they'd basically know how to move and get to po certain places the fastest. if you've everplayed "liquid wars" it's about particles in a field with shapes in the way and they always find the fastest way to the curser. basically that's how te bots should work. they should be able to think and interpret the map layout and from that develop they're own way of getting around the map and know if there is someone behind a polygon that he can easily get to. like now, they just ignore you and walk away cuz they can't "SEE" you. they should also be able to camp smartely without having to use waypoints...

Unlucky 13
March 9, 2005, 5:03 am
That would take a hefty amount of programming, but WOW it is better than the current one!

zyxstand
March 9, 2005, 5:20 am
lol yup. it be TEH most efficient way of bot movement EVER! many other things can be programmed with this idea - such as knowing when to stop for stuff and knowning what's important! like if he sees enemyu with his flag whether to try to kill him or whether to get his flag that's loose free below. And he'd get there VERY efficient!

i say, a definite MUST in the game system!

Captain Ben
March 9, 2005, 5:59 am
but still, alot of programming...
i like the original idea where it just follows the map just like the trainer-person.

Keron Cyst
March 9, 2005, 3:48 pm
The problem is that they follow it way too precisely so they're so predictable \:-| Some waypoints (like those established in large, open areas) should be programmed a bit different than others (like those put in small, cramped spaces) so that the Bot isn't completely limited to exactly what the waypoint demands, but is free to randomly move around a bit.

But yeah, I like the idea of manually setting waypoints as well ;-)

blackdevil0742
March 9, 2005, 4:06 pm
it's a good idea and it shouldn't be so hard to program as there was a thing like this in 0.9.4c

DT
March 9, 2005, 8:48 pm
i can do long range training and chasing training...

kilroy1501
March 9, 2005, 11:46 pm
The atomatic finding is very possible, infact its a built in function with gamemaker. But the bots should not always know where the player is. So how about, when the bot sees you (using the same technique as in realistic mode), it becomes alert and finds a path to you every instance. And if you escape, it will become unalert. Some bots wont stop chasing you, others will bail if you get too far away. Maybe an editable value in the bot editor, how far you should be until it stops chasing. And when its unalert, it follows waypoints.

Some food for though.
P.S.
This is gamemaker>>www.gamemaker.nl (please dont take this as spam, mods)

zyxstand
March 10, 2005, 12:07 am
well, if ya'll would've read my idea it'd clear most problems. besides, many fighting gamews have this feature and so does liquid war...it's all about good AI for those bots...that'll make them more human... (g.l big M)

Boer
March 10, 2005, 9:50 am
anyone that knows programming will know that this is EXTREMELY difficult to do. i think what we need is basic algorythyms that tell a bot how to get from point A to B.
or on this topic, what would work is a record button to solve movement problems. so from a to b(simple movements just use current waypoint system) its just "press right ",,, and when you get to the tricky part yu just press record for the manuever. so it records: jetpack plus right for 2 seconds , then just jetpack for a second then , for 2 seconds jetpack plus left.