( search forums )
SuS' fate
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
FliesLikeABrick
March 8, 2005, 12:20 am
(19:09:36) (@sebastian`) SuS is a failure overall, FliesLikeABrick, i suggest we quit with it..
(19:10:11) (@sebastian`) we still can use the tags...a shared banlist etc, but the passwordthing ain't working
(19:10:19) ?? mode: (sebastian`) sets (+o FliesLikeABrick)
(19:10:27) (@FliesLikeABrick) yeah thats what i was thinking when i asked everyone for their opinoin
(19:10:29) (@FliesLikeABrick) opinion*
(19:10:50) (@FliesLikeABrick) lemme talk to you about it when my IRC isnt fubarred
(19:11:01) (@sebastian`) ok
(19:11:43) (@FliesLikeABrick) k fixed
(19:12:12) (@sebastian`) aha, ok...
(19:12:24) (@FliesLikeABrick) so are we declaring SuS broken?
(19:12:34) (@sebastian`) guess so, yes
(19:12:53) (@FliesLikeABrick) ack so much for my mod title on the forums :P
(19:13:01) (@sebastian`) at least the SuS, as it was known before...
(19:13:05) (@sebastian`) hehe

Gen0cide
March 8, 2005, 12:22 am
Aw//:(
I quite enjoyed joining servers and getting owned by hitman,[the]epic,and other vets.

mmeaney
March 8, 2005, 12:37 am
Thats's too bad. I liked the whole concept behind SUS.

FliesLikeABrick
March 8, 2005, 12:38 am
a lotta newbs were getting in anyway, and a lotta the servers werent getting the traffic they had hoped for.

For anyone who played on U13, it will be public for a bit, until i can finish the forums on the site and some other things, then it will be private on its own again most likely

Gen0cide
March 8, 2005, 12:47 am
Hmm,then put in on your website..or get a bunch of people to somehow apply?Maybe make it people you've seen play..or make them get a certain rank(Not too high..)on a server so you know they aren't random newbs who do random things..like random newbs tend to do.
Or,just don't make it as public as it was,anyone could see the link,newb or not.
If you need help,I will ;)

Spectral
March 8, 2005, 12:51 am
mm, i was often surprised by the number of noobs in u13, and never really got interested in the servers. it was all right though, twas a good idea

FliesLikeABrick
March 8, 2005, 12:51 am
yeah, the site already has a registration and login system, and im working on coding some forums. Itd be really easy to set something up that would let me use a password on the server again, I just need to leave it public for a bit while I sort something out.

Dathker
March 8, 2005, 1:19 am
LOL@epic a vet HA!
why is it broken anyway, quite a few people use it. plues it's much easier to put in one password in and click on a bunch of servers that use the same password.

FliesLikeABrick
March 8, 2005, 1:31 am
if by "a bunch of people use it" you mean "a bunch people played one server", and by "one server" you mean "U13" then yes, you are correct.

[spoiler]otherwise, no.[/spoiler]

Deleted User
March 8, 2005, 1:34 am
Its broken because it pretty much defeated its own purpose - to trim out the fat of Soldat, to create a ring of high-quality servers, and keep them full of active, skilled Soldat players.

Once one person heard about SUS, every "newb" out there hopped on the train and it was essentially just like it was before, only you had to have a password to get into the servers this time. The servers are indeed high quality, and I hope they continue to provide me with what little Soldat fun I can attain these days and to everyone else. Also, it wasn't very fair to the server operators who joined SUS expecting to see an increase in skilled/intelligent players, only to find their servers empty 24/7.

The idea behind SUS is a great one, however, I believe that Soldat is not the kind of game where you can develop a steady, server-to-player based community and keep them coming back. It's far too fast paced and the action is short-lived, which doesn't entice players to stay for periods of any great length. Add to that the fact that much of the 'community', a term I use lightly to describe those OUTSIDE the forums, is composed majoritively of children ages 11-15, whos interests change faster than their horomones can keep up, does not help.

If SUS were to succeed, it would have to be composed of mutually independent servers. Each server would have to have some way to keep players locked into playing there. Perhaps a site where players can choose a location (USA, Europe, etc.), decide on a server in that area, and sign up for the mailing list with that servers password. I think then, in that form, SUS might succeed, as players would know where each server is located, what THAT servers password is, and with the sense of commitment (the mailing list), they'd feel more compelled to play.

This is just my opinion.

Gen0cide
March 8, 2005, 3:11 am
How about make them all SuS,but diffrent passwords and diffrent signups..so you can sign up for a specific one..and that way the 'newbs' won't have access to them all?

n00bface
March 8, 2005, 3:14 am
because that would be the same thing as just having a password on your server

Deleted User
March 8, 2005, 3:17 am
At least now I won't have remember the passwords anymore.

Deleted User
March 8, 2005, 3:37 am
LOL EPIC A VET!!! AHAHHA AHAHAH AHAHHA AHAHAH AHAHAH AHAHAH AHAHAHA. That made my day genocide.

Cookie`
March 8, 2005, 4:49 am
Who's Epic ? :P i liked Sus servers but in the end i think U13 got the most players i still think u13 should be a private server

btw "fubarred" whats the extra red stand for on fubar :P

wormdundee
March 8, 2005, 5:33 am
the red is just added onto the last r in fubar

so...

[IMAGE]ed up beyond all recognitioned

ThaD
March 8, 2005, 9:25 am
too bad, i was quite sure it's gonna end like this tho

JiggaBlue
March 8, 2005, 10:16 am
As long as u13 keeps a pass im happy.

Shivorken
March 8, 2005, 11:42 am
How do you get into the u13 servers? It says that i need a password ...

Kazuki
March 8, 2005, 1:18 pm
Not all is gone, though. The good thing is that now the servers are popular for being the "place for experienced players." Hopefully, that means that even though 'n00bs' will start flowing in, the experienced players will still gather into the servers. This also means that other SUS servers will get more traffic, because with all the people, we'll have to spread out more.

?
March 8, 2005, 3:49 pm
Yeah every time I joined one of the sus servers there was either people camping or whining about something stupid... its hard to get the newbs out of soldat =/

mar77a
March 8, 2005, 7:14 pm
This is a consiparcy, now Soldat Server Union (SsU) will born, and it will last 1 month until noobs find it again... :P

Dathker
March 9, 2005, 1:31 am
lol. martta the union is BAD!
hey, uh brick, you know how #soldat.gather has that awsome bot? you should make a bot simular to that or tell FoZ to make it or somehing if you don't have the time. and then have it so that people could arrange games for SuS servers. and you could even make your own SuS chan of which you can put your bot. and you could have 2 bot to arrange US games and Euro games so people living in their respective areas could get good pings.

FliesLikeABrick
March 9, 2005, 1:35 am
oh yes, because i love being unoriginal and ripping off other peoples' ideas :P

Im gonna stick with my plan and have U13 be independantly private. I am about to start using 3nesce's nickname protection thing to reserve peoples' nicknames in the server, and U13 will also be private again, this time organized through my site instead of SuS

Gen0cide
March 9, 2005, 2:33 am
Flab,me and you should start some kind of project..
How about it?Some soldat related thing,of course.I have no idea what,but we(Sort of) know eachother.

Dathker
March 9, 2005, 2:36 am
yeah but see, if you did something like that gather bot, then the password would change for every game that it sets up, also making u13/a sus chan more popular... and if you make a private mailing list for passwords would you please add me :)

FliesLikeABrick
March 9, 2005, 6:00 am
you are already registered on my site, so you would get any private mailings. odds are that the password will be posted on the site rather than mailed out

JiggaBlue
March 9, 2005, 6:01 am
aww...thats poopie, but better then no paass

DT
March 9, 2005, 8:17 pm
yea i rather have it on the site becuase for some reason i get a mailetter that has info about it 4.0 with the name as nobody.... and i'm not opening it...

now i under stand what this was for...
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=20244&SearchTerms=sus
to bad you didn't put the passwords thier or something...

FliesLikeABrick
March 9, 2005, 9:22 pm
DT that was a legit newsletter, i just forgot to change the number, and I also started sending the emails through a new server, hence the 'Nobody'. A lot of people were skeptik of that email, and many didnt want to open it... good job being observant, but that email was safe anyway :P

Jiggs
March 10, 2005, 2:29 am
If you're going to do something like that, if you really want to keep it secret, just set up one server and start recruiting the good players out of it, or you could just actively chat them up, whichever. Get them to an IRC channel or something, and organize games from there. Add servers as needed, and avoid tagging up.

I'm a semi-newbie, but I have had experience with keeping things as quiet as possible. If you want to keep the quality of play up, you can't really go public, as sad as that is to type.

FliesLikeABrick
March 10, 2005, 2:32 am
For the most of its life U13 was public, I wouldn't have a problem with it being semi-public, since thats what it really was towards the end of SuS (and people still enjoyed it). Semi-public/private is easy enough for me to do through the stuff set up on the site now, and once it is set up itll be even easier.

Deleted User
March 10, 2005, 3:32 am
Dammit we need to find a way for newbs not to get into the server I luved the server password idea but... we also don't want newbs in but now without servers there are more and more newbs. I wonder if there is a such thing as a "Soldier Kicker", LOL that'd be halarious, everyone named Soldier get's kiked OMG im brilliant jk

Vijchtidoodah
March 10, 2005, 3:50 am
Nomad, there is a way to kick anyone named "Soldier"...in fact, a lot of servers do that.

By the way, welcome to the forums. Most new users don't read the FAQ, or the stickies in each forum (at the top of the threads lists) before posting and end up getting into a lot of trouble. I hope you at least glance over those so you understand how things work. If you have any questions, you can send me a Private Message by clicking on this icon [url="http://www.soldatforums.com/privatesend.asp?method=Topic&mname=Vijchtidoodah">[IMAGE].

Judge_Man
March 10, 2005, 6:13 am
quote:Originally posted by Gen0cide
getting owned by [the]epic

HOW?!?!? HOW FOR GOD'S SAKE!??! rofl kidding.

That's bad new... at least you stay with the password on u13.. cause public is damn lame. Can't get in.. Less skilled players. Less fun.

FliesLikeABrick
March 10, 2005, 12:46 pm
With [IMAGE]'s name registration thing (soon to be used on U13 servers and many others), I registered the nickname Soldier with a random password, so anyone who tries to join as Soldier will be kicked

DeMonIc
March 10, 2005, 12:56 pm
Too bad SuS didn't turn out as it was planned.. my idea was an IRC script that would message everyone on IRC if someone joins a SuS server. The players weren't ready for SuS ;\

Green Barret
March 10, 2005, 2:48 pm
If i could play from Korea with no lag at those servers, id play only there! But thats not possible...

lieroguy
March 10, 2005, 7:54 pm
(My computer is down for a while, so you won't see me on U13 or IRC for at least a few days)

Brick, It's sad to see this happen, but I guess it's inevitable. I suppose the only thing you could do to eliminate all chances of any newb getting on U13 is to permit people on an individual basis, and that might seem facist to many people, including you. Then again, if it's what gets the job done...

U13 will always have a special place in my heart, because it's where being good actually means something and being bad just means you're having fun with people like Epic, Kazuki, Judge Man, and the rest of the crew. Even though it's packed all of the time, I contantly browse the U13 site to see if there's an opening, and rush to join as fast as I can.

The concept behind SuS was a good idea... for what it's worth, in my opinion U13 had MUCH less newb activity once the password was up. At the very least, keep it passworded. But you said you were going to do that, so I'm not worried.

U13, I salute you.

DT
March 10, 2005, 8:18 pm
a good responsable active admin would help... alot...
but you know how that goes...

FliesLikeABrick
March 10, 2005, 9:21 pm
U13 will rise again... i have next week off from classes and plan to implement the rest of the login system, profiles, forums, and the password notifications deal

Dathker
March 12, 2005, 3:34 am
sounds fun.

Rambo_6
March 12, 2005, 6:18 am
Hrm, so no more SUS pass's? Why not take the passes off all the servers, except for one (like seb's pub) which will be for all the community members only?

BRING BACK DNAGAMES!

Dathker
March 15, 2005, 4:30 am
yes DNA GAMES NEW AND IMPROVED W/ L33T PASSWORDS!

DT
March 15, 2005, 4:08 pm
i miss DNAgames... even though it was a brief time...