( search forums )
backwards = slower
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
zyxstand
March 8, 2005, 3:04 am
this idea brings a bit more realism to the game:

the idea is that when you're running backwards you move slower (since you can't run backwards real fast in real life) - the same perhaps for flying backwards since when you're flying backwards (if you look closely) his feet aren't pointing in the horizontal direction as much as he does when flying forward (he has less horizontal thrust so he should move slower)

this is good for when you're playing like ctf games where one is running away and he can't shoot behind himself and be fast at the same time - he can only be fast while looking forward.

comments on this idea ONLY plz

MercyM
March 8, 2005, 6:14 pm
I like this idea, it would be cool.

mar77a
March 8, 2005, 7:34 pm
I agree. Or you run lookin front, or you try to hit someone but go slower backwards. Cool.

kwanfei
March 8, 2005, 8:47 pm
Agree

DT
March 8, 2005, 8:47 pm
they had thi in the older versions... i think...because i remeber that i was always jumping instead of jumping back untll the new version came out...

arg no keep it as it is i can walk just as fast in fact... i kinda go faster backwords...

_Mancer_
March 8, 2005, 9:24 pm
Bad idea. I like dodging by running backwards and then tricking people dont get rid of it :(

zyxstand
March 8, 2005, 9:38 pm
well you may be able to walk backwards as fast as walking forward, DT, but RUNNING backwards is DEFINITELY slower than running forwards...you should try it (don hurt yourself)

Mancer, i don't exactly understand the problem with running bacwards slower than forwards, explain how it bothers you.

Alamo
March 8, 2005, 9:44 pm
duh... I don't really like it. Often I don't even know, in which direction I'm looking... Just keep the same speed for every direction. He's not really running anyway. It's a fast pace ... and a fast pace is possible while going backwards too.

Michal
March 8, 2005, 9:47 pm
I would like this, it would add some tactical value. But it would take a while to get used to.

kilroy1501
March 8, 2005, 9:47 pm
This would make monuvering harder. I personally am used to running backwards. Maybe in realistic mode it would fit better...

Leo Da Lunerfox
March 8, 2005, 9:54 pm
I say that it should be in Realistic mode, it was taken out in the older versions for a reason, but I'd like to have it back in Realistic mode, something about running, then whipping the gun around and shooting the guy makes me feel all tingly inside.

zyxstand
March 8, 2005, 11:31 pm
don't give all "realistic" ideas to realistic mode. normal soldat isn't supposed to be totally unrealistic. how bout making it an option (?)

Dathker
March 9, 2005, 1:39 am
#1 soldat isn't ment to be completely realistic.
#2 i can run as fast forwards as i can backwards, but this could be because i run slowly forwards, but that doesn't make a difference.
#3 why do you need to make it any slower, you already can't run+jump backwards(i think because it never seems to work for me).

Rambo_6
March 9, 2005, 2:22 am
This idea should be realistic-mode specific. I like the run-and-gun feel to soldat like it is.

zyxstand
March 9, 2005, 3:06 am
well, like Michal said, it would add a new tactical strategy to the game: "should i pace facing backwards and being able to shoot whoever there is? or should i just look forward and give it all i got?"
because usually the one's who get the flag run just as fast as the people chasing him, so with this idea it makes him just a tiny bit "weaker" and, again, like Michal said,, adds this new strategy part into soldat!

Captain Ben
March 9, 2005, 6:04 am
crappy idea... it's just so much fun running at your opponents backwards with a knife!
and i'd be way slower

SPARTAN_III
March 9, 2005, 6:52 am
this would encourage minigun speeding, the LAST thing soldat wants

Keron Cyst
March 9, 2005, 3:45 pm
Ja. And besides, people would just jump, jet backwards, and fire at followers :-P

Futile
March 9, 2005, 6:34 pm
It would make CTF-games a lot more demanding - more co-operation. Very good for clanplay perhaps, but what about public servers with people who cant even spell "friendly flag carrier"? I dont know. I really like strategic value of this, but it would become even more unusual to have those really good games you have sometimes (with complete strangers that is).

And how does it effect the deathmatch mode?

zyxstand
March 9, 2005, 9:32 pm
it mildly will affect deathmatch when you try to run away...dunno
or maybe just run slower if you have the flag.
and Keron Cyst, if you haven't read what i wrote b4 i said that flying backwards should also be slower than flying forwards since your feet don't point horizontally enough! no need to underline/itailcize jet!
Spartan, i think that it barely will affect mini gunning around (didn't say i disagree) but only certain *cough*nooby*cough* people do it anyways. i SomtimeS do it for those emergency events or what not. Anyways, i still stick to my idea though i am open to any suggestions and disadvantages to/of this idea

Elemental
March 9, 2005, 9:36 pm
ya, this would be an effect that should only be put in into realistic mode. as mancer said, when youre running away from someone, you fire to the person behind you. plus, when people run backwards, they jump and press in the direction so that they go faster..

Meandor
March 9, 2005, 9:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by FutileIt would make CTF-games a lot more demanding - more co-operation.

Exactly why i like it. Currently for someone running away with the flag it isn't too hard to keep someone at bay by spamming nades, pursuing someone is often more dangerous than a face to face.

zyxstand
March 9, 2005, 11:31 pm
i agree with you meandor. i also automatically inferred that jjmping backwards will also make you slower, ele! the whole idea is that any movement done backwards should be slower!

Deleted User
March 16, 2005, 9:44 pm
realistic peoples, only for realistic....