( search forums )
Countries
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
MercyM
March 12, 2005, 8:27 am
I suggest this:
[IMAGE]
It should scan the players' country e.g. via ASE or something... ;)
Then you should not have to write the country's name to your name, or you do not have to ask someone where he is from. Does anybody like my idea?

Captain Ben
March 12, 2005, 8:59 am
that is an awesome idea! i'd love to see this implemented!!
although, it might take michal a while to find every single flag...
still awesome, though :D

MercyM
March 12, 2005, 9:05 am
Well, when I had this idea 2 hours ago when I played Storm, as you can see. I was asking all the people that was there any finnish players. :)

DeMonIc
March 12, 2005, 9:15 am
Heh, I'd like to see this implemented, but in a different way.
You could select a flag in the 'Players Tab' that would show next to your name.

Leo Da Lunerfox
March 12, 2005, 9:49 am
yes! this is a great idea, it would add more color to soldat, and of course, you can always choose not to give a country in the players tabs too, if you wish to not state it...

Wopkeuh
March 12, 2005, 11:00 am
In the case of no flag you see a different icon... Maybe a pirate flag or something. That or simply a blank spot.

Should you implement this and people request custom flags, please don't.. People will start using it and there's no telling where they're from.

blackdevil0742
March 12, 2005, 11:01 am
this is a great idea!

Captain Ben
March 12, 2005, 12:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by Wopkeuh Maybe a pirate flag or something.

an even better reason to implement this!!

MercyM
March 12, 2005, 1:13 pm
Thank you for the good feedback. ;)

Melba
March 12, 2005, 1:36 pm
I want it exactly like MercyM put it.
..unless someone finds a better solution/place for the flags.

KnOt
March 12, 2005, 1:51 pm
It wouldn't do any harm ;)

STEELIX
March 12, 2005, 3:32 pm
Yeah! Raise the Jolly Roger!

Michal
March 12, 2005, 3:52 pm
I almost posted this idea few months ago, (had to go somewhere and I forgot :P)
Anyways, this is a great idea. I would prefer it that the flag is selected in the player tab.
It would be cool to have flags that are not just of countries, like the flags in Worms.

Dr.Feelgood
March 12, 2005, 4:30 pm
Suomi lippu heiluu!!! Nice idea.

Keron Cyst
March 12, 2005, 5:06 pm
*agrees*

Sam
March 12, 2005, 5:08 pm
quote:Originally posted by MichalI almost posted this idea few months ago, (had to go somewhere and I forgot :P)
Anyways, this is a great idea. I would prefer it that the flag is selected in the player tab.
It would be cool to have flags that are not just of countries, like the flags in Worms.

Yea, but having custom flags kinda defeats the point of having flags.

Pulp
March 12, 2005, 5:25 pm
Hmm, nice idea, what about a small bmp file everyone can edit, so you're able to have 'clan-flags' etc too.

I'm not that keen on 'the scanning by ASE', as a lot of ppl just don't use ASE and the soldat linux servers aren't still compatible with ASE. Would be easier to just make an extra option in your player's profile and add your nationality there, with an option 'custom' to add custom flags.

(litle remark though, the custom flags have to be added manually to the server, so that could be a bit tricky. Although releasing a 'clan-flag-pack' would do the job for server admins)

kwanfei
March 12, 2005, 5:31 pm
Sounds good

Ender
March 12, 2005, 5:43 pm
Good idea but for implemtation i would recommend strongly against using ASE to determine country, you don't wanna make soldat dependent on another app + there aren't that many players that use ASE for soldat.

You could scan ip/hostname for country level topdomains. That would work unless for some players isp's that have .com domains, like the israeli's, but they wouldn't mind showing up as USA, their state is nothing more then an american puppet state anyway.
Or first scan voor hostname and if not present use the country picked by user.

Letting everyone pick or using customs takes the whole charm away, that would make the flag nothing more then an extension to your player colors. The purpose of the flags should be to show the nationality of the user! Like TS says!

Pulp
March 12, 2005, 5:51 pm
Ach, who gives a damn about someone's nationality, Ender. ;)

Ender
March 12, 2005, 6:07 pm
quote:-sebastian`- maar o wee als ooit iemand me verwart met een duitser ;)
You do!

Gen0cide
March 12, 2005, 6:18 pm
How about like someone said,clan flags!
Then you'd only have one so you wouldnt really be able to multiclan :P..except your name

Jaz
March 12, 2005, 7:09 pm
add it

zoldat
March 12, 2005, 7:37 pm
yah awsome idea.
Danish flag =[IMAGE] ;)

Elemental
March 12, 2005, 8:24 pm
Clan flags would be cool, except that you couldnt really see what was on the flag...the country flags have stripes and easy-to-see stuff..I dont know if this is right, but a problem could be: in a big DM, the flags may disturb the player's view when checking to see stats. by the way mercy, how did you put all those flags on that screen? did you look em all up and added them?!

zyxstand
March 12, 2005, 10:29 pm
cool idea!!1 but i believe it'd be cooler to have clan flags as ele said. for this to be better it would be nice to organize the table in a teammatch or ctf or inf (teamgames) into two or more sections. like left side you'd have all the red players with a bigger flag and the right side would be for blue. and if all the red members are on the same clan there would be the flag, as i said. And if one player is not in that clan then he/she should be below the list. basically, the big flag only appears when there are 3 or more or all on the same team. and for teammatches organize groups into 1, 2, 3, or 4 groups depending on what teams there are.

Melba
March 13, 2005, 11:48 am
clan flags would function exactly the same way as the registered star does now.
Mod the star to a penis, but only you will see the penis. The other ones will see the same old star...
capiche?

echo
March 13, 2005, 12:48 pm
Simple but awesome idea. Small features like this will make soldat even better. With this you can also have some idea off how much a player lags in a foreign server.

Tribersman-FR
March 14, 2005, 4:51 pm
there just a problem in yours screen ............. the frenchie are the BEST !!! (^^)

[IMAGE]

... ok ok ... I come back to hell

STEELIX
March 14, 2005, 6:06 pm
I heard some of my classmates talking about French people getting banned from games as soon as they select their country beeing France... :)

lastpatriot
March 15, 2005, 1:09 am
This is a great idea, and it would be pretty easy to do. They have flag websites, so Michal should implement this.

MercyM
March 15, 2005, 5:24 am
quote:Originally posted by Tribersman-FRthere just a problem in yours screen ............. the frenchie are the BEST !!! (^^)

[IMAGE]

... ok ok ... I come back to hell
What problem?

Deleted User
March 15, 2005, 8:53 pm
tell michal to add it cus every1 wants it.........BAHA!!!