( search forums )
Share some knifing tips
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Adin
March 12, 2005, 1:58 pm
Hey hey, after watching the Knifeaholic video I am addicted to knives, infact, it'd become my primary weapon, :P.

Would anyone like to share some of their what to do tips and what not to do tips?

Also what secondary do most of you knifers use and why?

Thanks

Captain Ben
March 12, 2005, 3:20 pm
i usually run at other players backwards...
it helps because once you pass them, let it rip and you'll most certainly hit them.
i usually have a spas or a hkmp5 to back me up...

STEELIX
March 12, 2005, 3:28 pm
Spas is possibly a very bad idea to use as primary with knife though. It has an entirely different aiming curve.

Deleted User
March 12, 2005, 6:00 pm
Deags + Knife
Enough Said

Indiana Jones
March 12, 2005, 8:25 pm
Use spas and knock them backward then rush up and knife while they're staggering. Gotta be fast to do it though

Jaz
March 12, 2005, 8:36 pm
Ive never been able to aim with knife, its curve seems strange ;<

STEELIX
March 12, 2005, 8:46 pm
Indiana, I've always considered it a waste to use a one hit kill weapon like knife on a target which you could finish off with one more shot from your spas :)

LazehBoi
March 12, 2005, 8:53 pm
Don't have your knife out for too long, the best way (for me) to use it is to catch them off guard.

Kamikaze_Ninja
March 12, 2005, 9:18 pm
well I just use nades and knives if im playing seriously knives nades and ak but I don't need any guns D: lol

zoldat
March 12, 2005, 10:48 pm
quote:Originally posted by SniphDeags + Knife
Enough Said

YAH Deags + Knife

Shivorken
March 13, 2005, 12:35 am
Deagles + Knife is a deadly combo, my favourite ...

Knife is extremely good for going up to campers and just knifing them.

Knife is quite easy to throw once your use to it.

Captain Ben
March 13, 2005, 1:14 am
quote:Originally posted by STEELIXSpas is possibly a very bad idea to use as primary with knife though. It has an entirely different aiming curve.

it's spray is useful over long distances :P

JiggaBlue
March 13, 2005, 1:41 am
If you want knife as a primary then take along an Aug, so you can finish them easy if the knife doesnt completly kill,

Deleted User
March 13, 2005, 2:11 am
I usually use M79 and knife because I almost never directly hit with it so the blast usually gets them where I want them for a knife throw.

A good tip for using the knife is if you're in the low health range and someones chasing you down, instead of hiding behind some shelter with your knife out, ready to pounce, wait till he's just about there and then pull out your knife, then throw it. You'll catch him off guard that way.

Another tip is to only throw the knife at an opponent above you when he has very low health or is very close to you. Otherwise it's a complete waste.

Adin
March 13, 2005, 2:16 am
Awesome, great tips, how do you guys juggle, like sniph in his video.... whenever I try to throw a weapon up it gos to the side :P.

Oh another thing I have a pretty low ping on the servers I play on, like 30ms -> 60ms, sometimes I see my knife hit yet nothing happens, does it have to hit them in the head/torso for a one hit kill or is it just lag?

F3nyx
March 13, 2005, 2:18 am
Indiana -- a one-two combo with SPAS is very problematic, as the first SPAS shot tends (in my experience) to knock the target out of knifing range. Really that's my biggest gripe with the SPAS -- shooting a flag carrier with SPAS damages him, but also gives him a huge boost.

Deagles/Knife for me. I don't recommend running around with a knife out; like LazehBoi said it's best as a surprise. Knife is perfect for when you run out of ammo in a close-range fight, but it's useless at long distance.

wormdundee
March 13, 2005, 2:22 am
even very low ping can cause just enough lag for it to not count as a hit

if you just nick the person in the top of the head or on their feet, those 30 ms are enough

i use knife and ruger, but thats just because ive always used ruger, forever and ever

Adin
March 13, 2005, 2:35 am
Anyone having trouble connecting to the lobby server?

Seems to be down at the moment.

Oh and I figured how to do the juggle bit, you have to be falling down at a certaing velocity.

I like the rugger too, never relly been a fan of the deagles, they kill me the most though :P

MikeShinoda.pheonix
March 13, 2005, 4:49 am
one good thing with the knife, is to always know where it lands, that way you can roll to it and pick it up quickly for another kill. M7Knife for me. Btw, i know its really lame to post a duel challeng on the forums, but i want a knife duel with someone really good, thatway i can see how good i am :)

Adin
March 13, 2005, 8:24 am
Aaaaaaaaar, the lobby is still down for me, I can't take it anymore!

reckon
March 13, 2005, 8:34 am
I find it helpful it aim past my target when it comes to knifing. Also I prefer to attack from above when it comes to, due to the acceleration of the knife.

MercyM
March 13, 2005, 11:34 am
You should try to throw the knife to the enemies' heads, not the legs, because the don't ALWAYS die from that.

SPARTAN_III
March 13, 2005, 11:38 am
any auto except minigun + knife

also remap the drop weapon key to something more convenient than F. i use middle mouse myself, or spacebar

Adin
March 13, 2005, 1:07 pm
Is the lobby server still down for you guys... I'm getting withdrawals :|

Yeah perhaps remapping the throw key would be ok, though I cant think of anything better, my mouse has a scroll wheel and 2 buttons

Speaking of controlls do any of you have non-standard controlls?

I use q to fly and right click to nade :), scroll is to change weapons

March 13, 2005, 1:21 pm
But, lag. I wouldnt really know, i only use socom or law, but some tips are, dont wast time, collect ur knife. Make sure you do. Always calculate lag

SpankyMcGuire
March 13, 2005, 4:18 pm

Adin, does your wheel scroll AND click? Those are both considered different buttons. My wheel click is my weapon change while my wheel scroll is my throw weapon button.

.alex.oner.
March 13, 2005, 10:06 pm
m79+knife

run near victim jump and shoot the ground, you damage them a bit if not killing them, and you go above them by quite a long way, so now they dont know where the hell your gonna land, then drop down and cane your knife at them from above..

lastpatriot
March 14, 2005, 1:09 am
I normally use the socom, but when I do use the knife(AKA: When my buddies are here, and we're goofing off), normally: Open up with HK/AK fire, then, as they try to run past me, whip out the knife.

Adin
March 14, 2005, 1:13 am
Haha yeah I just remembered that it can scroll and click, I'm going to have to give that a try now, as soon as the lobby is back up :(

KeyesBlob
March 14, 2005, 2:24 am
Erm...

10 on 10.

Ctf_Kampf.

Red team.

Ledge.

Throw.

Kill.

Nuff said.

lastpatriot
March 14, 2005, 4:48 pm
Why use the knife frome the ledge, when you can throw a grenade, or launch a shell? Stealth precision killing is always appreciated, but sometimes, like a dire situation in a CTF match, you're going to need to make it rain.

Psyker
March 14, 2005, 11:39 pm
don't run around with the knife

you'll look like a fag

Deleted User
March 15, 2005, 2:52 am
If fighting an enemy with a Barrett that is close-mid range, know when they're going to shoot. Jump right before they shoot, then go prone in midair and use jets to head towards them. the enemy will still be reoading and will be surprised by a man flying toward him with a knife. Throw and whip out an auto if you miss.

If fighting someone with another knife or a chainsaw, wait until they charge you. Go prone as they're about to hit-if they're not skilled, they'll always charge with the weapon aiming at chest level without realizing it. People don't seem to realize how important precise aiming is, even with melee weapons. They'll zoom right over you, leaving them confused and open to attack.

Both of these tactics take time to master, but are very effective.

vash763
March 15, 2005, 4:57 am
get yourselves two knives then you can like, run around in a virtual world w/ 2 knives!!!

Swarmer
March 15, 2005, 6:41 am
Adin: read the help section, the server list is updated. you need to dl something.

quote:Originally posted by fuvekiIf fighting someone with another knife or a chainsaw, wait until they charge you.

but couldnt you just throw it at them? :P

Captain Ben
March 15, 2005, 6:47 am
or you could just shoot them when they get too close...

Felix
March 15, 2005, 10:47 am
M79 + knife

eagles + knife

watch out :)

Cybersaint2k
March 15, 2005, 4:30 pm
I like M79/Knife, too. Here are my tips, though I'm no pro.

I use wheel scroll for knife throw.

I attack from above if at all possible.

And I do occasionally run w/ the knife if I have ruger or barrett because when people see you, they stop at a "safe" distance and try to shoot you at range. But w/ ruger and barrett, you likely match or outpower them at range, so there.

Deleted User
March 15, 2005, 10:23 pm
quote:but couldnt you just throw it at them? :P

Yeah, but this way is infinitely cooler. It's definitely funny if you fail too, since you look like a dumbass as you flop on the ground in front of a crazy guy with a chainsaw.

Social Poison
March 16, 2005, 5:46 am
A knife can be an awsome weapon to have along, though don't get too caught up using it. My game suffered a bit because for whatever reason I started utilizing my knife like it was a primary weapon. That works fine for public servers, but when you play top tier players, they'll tear you apart.

Captain Ben
March 16, 2005, 6:29 am
well normally the get pretty angry if you knife them, resulting in them trying to knife you back..

DT
March 16, 2005, 3:35 pm
many people just use the knife for throwing... but if you time your melee attack then you get your one hit kills instead of just holding it...

Deleted User
March 16, 2005, 4:04 pm
For me, as soon as i spawn, my knife is out and ready to be thrown. I view my knife as a 1 hit kill weapon, kind of like the barret for me. I use it to snipe people almost, long range that is, for me, deagles + nades are hard to use long range when seomone is below, my knife however, i quite the killer when im above any enemy, once you master long range knife throws, you will be able to rock any map, as long as you stay above your oppenent. Close range is important too, but not very hard to get used to. For me, my knife is my secondary, where my primary is nades/deagles. Nades and the Knife work together espically well. I love purposely blasting people into my knife with nades. Master the knife.... Enough Said.

Krios
March 17, 2005, 5:24 am
my suggestion for useing a knife is... never aim straight up and run around in one spot. But other wise I try to aim ahead of running oponants.*Smak* right in the chest.

Deleted User
March 17, 2005, 2:54 pm
If it is a knives only server, set your colours to grass camo: Olive and Dark Green (if it is a grass map like Lagrange), if you are being followed, go prone in the thick grass then when they run past throw the knife at them, usually works for me.

lastpatriot
March 17, 2005, 6:57 pm
Just throw the knives, retrieve it, repeat.

KnOt
March 17, 2005, 10:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by MercyMYou should try to throw the knife to the enemies' heads, not the legs, because the don't ALWAYS die from that.

WRONG .. Whether you hit the legs or the head does not make a difference.. It's all about the velocity of the knife.. Which is why if you throw it upwards it wont always kill.. Same if the target is too far away..

Anyway.. I can give you a tip about how to AVOID knives Adin.. Sometimes it helps to just stay put.. As in.. People tend to fall into 'knife traps' Where as the knifer predicts your movements and throws the knife ahead of you.. I like to 'fake' where i'm going a lot.. etc .. But that's just because i am a master dodger.. YES

NeoSoldier
March 18, 2005, 12:52 am
Thx for the tip.

.alex.oner.
March 18, 2005, 7:31 am
quote:Originally posted by KnOtquote:Originally posted by MercyMYou should try to throw the knife to the enemies' heads, not the legs, because the don't ALWAYS die from that.

WRONG .. Whether you hit the legs or the head does not make a difference.. It's all about the velocity of the knife.. Which is why if you throw it upwards it wont always kill.. Same if the target is too far away..

Anyway.. I can give you a tip about how to AVOID knives Adin.. Sometimes it helps to just stay put.. As in.. People tend to fall into 'knife traps' Where as the knifer predicts your movements and throws the knife ahead of you.. I like to 'fake' where i'm going a lot.. etc .. But that's just because i am a master dodger.. YES

same with barretards.

March 18, 2005, 7:54 pm
My $0.02:
Using your knife in an air battle? If you are, it's vital to be above your foe. Chances are, if the enemy is on full health, you're not gonna kill that guy with a slow knife to the legs.
Got a one shot weapon? Don't use the knife. You're going to be jiggered against multiple opponents unless you're in a tactical position for nadespamming.
If someone's about to charge past, pull out your knife as late as you can afford. If your aggressor sees the knife, and you take it out too early, they're going to step back, reload, and blast your face off.

reckon
March 18, 2005, 8:42 pm
Sticky beat me to the aerial response.
Thats how I prefer to knife, from above.
The velocity of the knife as it falls make it easy to time and to kill.

lastpatriot
March 19, 2005, 12:29 am
Throw from the ledge in CTF-Kampf. 'Nuff said.

Adin
March 19, 2005, 3:55 am
Wow! Great tips, thanks guys :D!

Gen0cide
March 19, 2005, 4:08 am
Hehe yeah,I'm gonna use some of these too.
Some = all

Xanthophobia
March 23, 2005, 9:02 pm
I like to use the knife when escaping with the flag... if you turn around and throw behind you while travelling at speed, you get a pretty long throw, and it's easy to aim, due to the increased velocity of the knife.

Deleted User
March 30, 2005, 12:22 am
Just charge.

Deleted User
April 1, 2005, 10:24 pm
If u want complete control of the knife, I recomend changing wpn with the scroll wheel,
and throwing it by pressing down the scroll. works great for me.. altough my mouse is broken
right now, so Im using an old one with no scroll.. untill my new arrive I use the LAW.

Deleted User
April 1, 2005, 10:25 pm
and btw THIS is post nr 50 for me... dont u all forget now

b00stA
April 1, 2005, 10:34 pm
Psycho, start [IMAGE] editing your posts or you'll simply be temporarily banned for something like that.