( search forums )
Linux Stability & Load
Soldat Forums - Server Talk - Server Help
cornernote
March 12, 2005, 3:10 pm
Hello,

I am running Tanks script (thanks) and this restarts my server when it dies, however my server seems to die very very often. More often than any server I have played in. I am lucky to get through 5 maps without it dieing.

Also, I used to run 5 servers on one PC (one for each game type). However I would turn it on at night, then go to bed and in the morning the server load would be upto 10-20 (it is usually less than 1).

Has anyone had these issues before and resolved them?

Thanks in advance.

cornernote
March 12, 2005, 3:24 pm
I shoud add the following:

running a 2.4ghz celeron with 512mb RAM

server crashes often even with 1 soldat running

cornernote
March 12, 2005, 3:26 pm
and it runs fine until people join

cornernote
March 12, 2005, 4:00 pm
From what I have been reading, high load with low CPU/memory usage comes from IO wait times. This indicates that soldatserver or soldatmonitor is doing a lot of reading/writing to the HDD. There is only a single HDD in there so would I be correct in assuming that one of the soldat apps is doing a lot of IO? Is there any way to reduse this or speed it up a bit?

mar77a
March 12, 2005, 4:53 pm
Mmm, contact Vostok 4 and get his Soldat Guardian... And use the edit button to compile your messages into one...

Michal Marcinkowski
March 12, 2005, 8:43 pm
Try turning off logging in the soldat.ini file (Logging=0). Tell me how it works then.

PureGrain
March 13, 2005, 4:31 pm
Speaking of LOGs. Can you post your logs?

cornernote
March 14, 2005, 8:54 am
Michal: Turning off logs seems to have done the trick. I will keep you posted if that changes.

I would really like to have logs so that I can have stats.

PureGrain: What are you looking for in the logs. I am not sure how to upload them here but if you tell me whats on your mind then I would be interested in looking through them.

Vostok 4
March 14, 2005, 5:56 pm
So cornernote, you are seeing increased stability with just logs OFF? That's interesting :D And a good step forward I hope in finding the culprit of the crashes!

Michal Marcinkowski
March 16, 2005, 2:21 pm
I have to fix the logs, but I don't know what is the problem :(. Maybe I'll make a version with limited logging and see how it works.

Optik
March 17, 2005, 12:55 pm
yea this linux prob is really geting on my nerves had like 2 crashes last night alone lol, but no loging hmm might have to try it thanks for the tip

rusty
March 19, 2005, 10:48 am
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiI have to fix the logs, but I don't know what is the problem :(. Maybe I'll make a version with limited logging and see how it works.

Hmm, buffer the data and then write periodically to a file in a separate thread? I am thinking that if people need a game log, they don't need it in real-time, and writing in bursts may be better than writing continuously in small amounts (judging from how DMA transfers work). Also if the logger is a separate thread it will let the OS manage running it concurrently with the main server thread(s), so the main thread is not waiting for IO to complete. Just a few suggestions/guesses, may be complete nonsense :)

Michal Marcinkowski
March 19, 2005, 12:34 pm
Yes that's what I'm thinking of. I'll store the logs in a buffer and write them every minute or so. I don't think real-time is important.

cornernote
March 25, 2005, 9:06 am
It seems to be somewhat better without logging but still crashing a lot.

I would like to see feedback from other people about this.

Deleted User
March 25, 2005, 10:56 am
wow cornernote, dont you know how to use the edit button... 4 posts in a row, pretty noobish.. anywayz,

Try using soldatguardian instead of tanks script. (http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=21889)