( search forums )
[Release] SVC (Soldat Version Checker)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Fans - Fan Apps
Deleted User
March 15, 2005, 10:41 am
SVC connects to http://www.soldat.pl/main.php and parses the data in the "Latest Files" section and compares it with the preferences set by the user. SVC will check the page for updates every 30 minutes. At the moment this is not changeable, but will be in the next version.

Post any Bugs/Suggestions.

Screenshot: http://enesce.com/files/uploads/Screenshots/SVC.JPG
Download Link: http://www.enesce.com/files/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=39

Missing OCX/DLL's?
MSWINSCK: http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/support_dll.phtml?dllname=MSWINSCK.OCX
VB 6.0 Runtime Package: http://www.karenware.com/powertools/runtimes.asp

makazuma
March 15, 2005, 11:30 am
I dont trust his files! Once we all installed he'll take over soldat!

SBaL
March 15, 2005, 11:31 am
Talking about wasted time spend on programming useless applications...
I mean, really, how often are new versions released anyway ?

Congrats on a jorb well done.

Deleted User
March 15, 2005, 11:36 am
I said suggestions, not spam posts...
makazumi, if thats the way you feel, then dont download anything I make, doesnt bother me.

And this isnt really a waste of time, its for people like me who cant be screwed to open up firefox, type the address, click English, and scroll to the text.

makazuma
March 15, 2005, 11:39 am
Sorry, I appreciate you make tools for soldat now, couldn't help it, im so suspicious. Could be a conspiracy =)

MercyM
March 15, 2005, 12:43 pm
Very well done, but it's pretty useless... ;)

grand_diablo
March 15, 2005, 1:23 pm
Its not too much of use, but still its nice work and I -speaking for my part- appreciate it.

I guess its normal that some are sceptical, but if you keep up the good work, things will change to the positive :>

Norse
March 15, 2005, 4:10 pm
This could come in handy...may just download it and wait for the next ver. to come out...not like theres one coming out too soon. A great first start though, EnEsCe. At least you didn't repeat anything anyone else has created. Props for that!

Deleted User
March 15, 2005, 4:15 pm
Makazuma, don't act like an idiot. Maybe he is gonna destroy soldat behind our backs, but one person saying stupid stuff like that isn't going to make Michal and Styx think "omgz he's a noob lets ubersupermanban him".

This prog will be good for future releases, because quite a lot of the time Michal makes a new version, he releases a quick bug fix a couple of days later (or not, depending on how well the beta testers perform). If you set it to load on startup, then you're sorted.

FliesLikeABrick
March 15, 2005, 8:15 pm
yeah, for the first month or two after a new version comes out, i get between 50 and 150 people asking me why they cant join U13

AWH_ReApEr
March 16, 2005, 12:01 am
I told you some would be skeptical, Enesce.. =P

Anyway, I'm never one to bash someone's work. He did it for the benefit of the community, and, however small the benefit may be to you, you should appreciate that.

Good job, Enesce. Your programs are all unique, and that, at least, demands some respect. Keep 'em coming.

Deleted User
March 16, 2005, 12:52 am
Thanks for the comments :)

I was thinkin maybe adding other programs to it, eg checking the version of SSBot or NR-DynIP etc etc.

Elephant_Hunter
March 16, 2005, 1:00 am
What was it written in?

Deleted User
March 16, 2005, 1:12 am
VB 6.0 Pro

Krios
March 16, 2005, 1:23 am
YAY go EnEsCe!!! I thought it was pretty kewl download.

Deleted User
March 16, 2005, 2:23 am
Thats funny, there was 18 downloads before I made this topic, and theres only been 1 since then yet all of you claim to have downloaded it... talk about spwam!!

AWH_ReApEr
March 16, 2005, 2:36 am
Nah, I didn't claim to download it. I just said it was cool. I, personally, have no use for it. I check the Soldat site all the time. =/

FliesLikeABrick
March 16, 2005, 2:51 am
I think that anyone who has ever missed an update before should download it.. anyone who got to the lobby and wondered why you couldnt join half of the servers

Elephant_Hunter
March 16, 2005, 3:18 am
Hmm... I could try to get it and register the thing myself, but I'm lazy :P

Component 'MSWINSCK.OCX' or one of it's dependencies is not currently registered: a file is missing or invalid

Vijchtidoodah
March 16, 2005, 3:21 am
Enesce, good job. Like Stalky said, this will really come in handy if MM decides to release any quick fixes (eh Michal? *hint, hint*).

Unlucky 13
March 16, 2005, 3:59 am
It sounds good, no more need to constantly check soldat.pl for updates.
Maybe in the next version you can implement the latest news item?

Oh wait, "Component 'MSWINSCK.OCX' or one of it's dependencies is not currently registered: a file is missing or invalid" means... what?

FliesLikeABrick
March 16, 2005, 4:08 am
MSWINSCK.OCX is a standard file from the windows socket library, any homemade programs that use the network or internet will need it. I believe it is in the visual basic 6 runtime library (just google for a link to download the library), or even just google that filename and you can download just the one file (put it in windows/system32)

Leo Da Lunerfox
March 16, 2005, 4:22 am
This would become useful if MM puts this into Soldat, and, like many MMORPGs, it will autocheck the site for updates and inform the user. This will definitly increase our playerbase.

Elephant_Hunter
March 16, 2005, 5:16 am
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickMSWINSCK.OCX is a standard file from the windows socket library, any homemade programs that use the network or internet will need it. I believe it is in the visual basic 6 runtime library (just google for a link to download the library), or even just google that filename and you can download just the one file (put it in windows/system32)

Or... he could include it with his prog :P

I was under the impression that xp came with all the vb dlls and stuff.

Deleted User
March 16, 2005, 5:46 am
If I included MSWINSCK.OCX this tiny download would turn into 150KB... I made this prog during the time that MM was working on the dedicated server alot, hence the true meaning behind this program ^_^
So if MM decides to do alot of work on the Ded servers or somthing, it will come in handy.

Deleted User
March 17, 2005, 1:54 am
Excellent work, EnEsCe. It looks very streamlined, and if there's anything I love, its something effecient.

Let me be the first to say that I am glad to have you as part of the community once more. Whether you continue to make your applications or not, I hope that eventually everyone will come to realize that people change and that everyone deserves a second chance.

Once again, nice app, and welcome back.

Unlucky 13
March 17, 2005, 9:00 am
OK, Thanks EnEsCe, your link just got me what I needed, it works.
Small, too, but next version include something that shows the later news topics in it? That'd be sweet!
I really believe you are spending your second chance well, and I think you have changed. All due respects paid, I think that my suggestion could add something to use, really!

Dathker
March 17, 2005, 11:22 pm
[off topic] you know, why don't they just include all of the .ocx and .dll's included in windows, its extremely annoying to have to download all the different ones every time you run a new program.
[on topic] wouldn't be a little more convenient for it to check every day or week, because that is kind of annoying to have it eat up your bandwidth every half hour.

Deleted User
March 17, 2005, 11:31 pm
If you consider 20KB to be eating up your bandwidth, then yeah I guess so...

Alamo
March 28, 2005, 10:59 am
Let me be the second to say that I don't trust him.

Deleted User
March 28, 2005, 11:01 am
Thats nice Alamo, but seriously no one cares. And stop ur spamming plzkthx.

Aquarius
March 28, 2005, 11:56 am
Well, maybe you don't care, but don't speak for others. I don't trust you either.
It's strange that so many people lick your a$$ now. Did you ever said sorry for the hacks you created?

Deleted User
March 28, 2005, 12:13 pm
This isnt about [IMAGE]ing forced appologies, its about my crappy little version checker, so stfu and diekthx.

Aquarius
March 28, 2005, 12:21 pm
on topic: I think this prog is useless. People who aren't smart enough to check soldat.pl when lobby says about another version won't install it anyway.

UltraMagnus
March 28, 2005, 12:32 pm
hmm, im quite new, so why does everyone hate enesce?

Elephant_Hunter
March 29, 2005, 3:14 am
I was just looking at my process list, and I noticed that SVC was taking up 99% of the CPU. It might've been updating or something, but I dunno :D Could be a bug?

Deleted User
March 29, 2005, 9:25 am
That's enough. Anyone else who posts hate against Enesce will have their post deleted and will be on their way to a temp ban. Can't you guys just accept that Michal and Styx and the moderator team trust him? If you don't, keep it to yourself and may you be the first to say 'I told you so' when Enesce destroys soldat ¬_¬

UltraMagnus: Enesce used to be a hacker. Now he's working for soldat producing these awesome apps.

Aquarius: No, it's not useless, unless you see useless as something that you don't need to have to play soldat, in which case, bot makers are useless and map makers are useless and demo players are useless. Sure, you don't need the application, but it still makes stuff easier so its still useful.

MercyM
March 29, 2005, 11:46 am
quote:Originally posted by Stalky
UltraMagnus: Enesce used to be a hacker.
Hacker?

Icarius
March 29, 2005, 3:48 pm
This should be included with the new version of Soldat and included in the bootup of the game... so like...

Soldat.exe is opened
|
|
|
V
SVC.exe checks for latest version, is correct ------ > If not, version automatically downloads (repeats step one)
|
|
|
V
Soldat continues to open.

Kind of like what they do in most games, they did it for tribes as well.... hope this helps.

Toumaz
March 29, 2005, 4:00 pm
Agrees with above, but it should ASK whetever to download the new version.

Deleted User
March 29, 2005, 4:24 pm
And the soldat installer should ask if you want SVC installed.

Swebonny
March 29, 2005, 7:38 pm
Yaaaay Éncense did it again :P
And beside...stupid noobs...call Éncese haxxor..take over soldat...starhunting...omg...

But, NIce work Encense keep going!

Icarius
March 30, 2005, 12:06 am
quote:Originally posted by StalkyAnd the soldat installer should ask if you want SVC installed.

Could also have an option to turn it off in the options, would save some people who can't be arsed to stick around and feel like checking on thier own... Soldat can't play unless it's up-to-date anyway.

Deleted User
March 30, 2005, 1:43 am
I was actually thinking of adding making one that attaches itself to soldat.exe and checks at startup, but im sure that would arouse suspicion of trojans and whatnot...

Elephant_Hunter
March 30, 2005, 2:17 am
That actually sounds cool. Why don't you give it a shot? I'm sure folks will get over the suspicion of trojans.

UltraMagnus
March 30, 2005, 9:20 am
quote:Originally posted by ToumazAgrees with above, but it should ASK whetever to download the new version.

indeed, we dont want uber nazi crap like steam like stuff on soldat......

Deleted User
March 30, 2005, 9:40 am
All exe binders are detectable by an anti-virus, and I dunt know how to make an exe binder.. *makes toilet flushing noise*

Deleted User
March 30, 2005, 4:31 pm
Well if you make a version that attaches to soldat.exe, I'm sure Michal can check it for any cheating/hacking stuff, so people can't accuse you of anything.

b00stA
March 30, 2005, 6:00 pm
Why don't you just rename your tool to Soldat.exe which checks for the version when you run it? When there's no new version, it will start the real Soldat.exe, renamed to something else.