( search forums )
Catching knives
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
mystery00
March 17, 2005, 11:22 am
Search came up with nothing, so here goes:

What if, when you don't have a weapon in your hands, you could catch the knife?

It's a minor change, but I think it would be cool, imagine you haven't got a secondary weapon (maybe you had a knife and threw it away), someone throws the knife at you from behind, you turn around, catch it, and throw it back at them!

Of course, you won't be able to catch while you have you back to them, and not if the knife it going at your head, you would need to face the knife and make sure it's going for some part around the chest to catch it, otherwise it kills you as usual.

Mystery

lastpatriot
March 17, 2005, 11:51 am
Can't this already be done? I think they show this in either Project X, or Knife-a-holic.

MercyM
March 17, 2005, 12:32 pm
Yeah, it was Knife-a-holic.

Deleted User
March 17, 2005, 2:02 pm
i can catch a knife, only if i throw it up in the air though...

mystery00
March 17, 2005, 2:26 pm
I mean catch it when it being thrown AT YOU, not when it bounces off a wall.
For the next version of soldat I think this would be a good little thing to add.

Mystery

kwanfei
March 18, 2005, 3:49 am
What about the F key when u don't have weapon, and u have to click it right on time when the knife hit your hand (not any other place, hand only) when u do the pushing(F key).

Oh, maybe u can do it with nades too ^^"

Rambo_6
March 18, 2005, 3:57 am
I could picture somebody jugling like 3 knives :D

zyxstand
March 18, 2005, 4:21 am
well, i like the idea - excpet for the part where it has to go to your chest and not head or legs... i suggest as long as you're facing the knife you will catch it... and the idea of having to press the drop weapon ("f" default) button makes this even more challenging... cuz the guy does animation and only during that time can he catch it... if he just threw a knife and somoene else did the same and they're really close they should be able to catch it...

might turn out to be a cool strategy - guy is chasing u with knife while u have flag and just fired ur M79 and missed so you want to turn around and drop your weaon and he presses "f" and you catch it and face plant him with it!

mystery00
March 18, 2005, 9:44 am
I think catching it when pressing the F key is a bit too much, it'll make it very hard to do.

zyxstand, I was trying to make it a bit realistic, you can't catch a knife with your head or legs in real life.....can you? o.0

Mystery

Captain Ben
March 18, 2005, 10:21 am
how about if you're unarmed and have the right timing, you punch AND that's how you catch it?

SPARTAN_III
March 18, 2005, 11:19 am
but then ppl will just hold down punch.........
i like it. catching could be mapped to whatever is ur drop wpn key, or we could have a second catch button

Captain Ben
March 18, 2005, 12:10 pm
be a pain in the ass, though.
you could through your knife at someone, and then they just catch it and throw it back.
especially annoying against law users, as they drop the law usually after use...

mystery00
March 18, 2005, 12:39 pm
Well, there is a very good thing you can do to counteract the evil law users, catch the knife they throw back, switch weapons and shoot their sorry law using asses!

Mystery

grand_diablo
March 18, 2005, 1:10 pm
Not a good idea imo, once ppl start being good in catching knives, it makes the whole weapon useless (since 95% of knife kills are done by throwing, and only the rest by stabbing)

mystery00
March 18, 2005, 3:06 pm
That it exactly why it should be made more difficult, first of all, knife doesn't always hit you in the chest, this will descrease the chance of catching it, second of all, most of the time that you are hit by a knife, you are carrying a weapon and so you won't have time to throw it away and catch the knife. Third of all you have to also be looking in the direction of the knife. Maybe these rules acctually make it too hard, so I think some of them shouldn't come into place (providing catching knives is added), so it will be semi-difficult to catch a knife, but still possible if there is no other option.

grand_diablo, does that change your mind at all?

Mystery

Deleted User
March 18, 2005, 3:31 pm
As mystery00 stated, it'll be quite difficult to actually catch the knife. So I doubt anyone will really actually do it very often. It's really a useless suggestion that would probably just take up space. Besides, when I throw a knife at someone I don't want them turning around and throwing it back at me. That would just suck.

sbu-spyvin
March 18, 2005, 3:40 pm
Dont really like.

Because the knive can be a bad sec weapon because everybody can catch it and i like killing with knive so don't mess with the knive ;)

lastpatriot
March 18, 2005, 4:45 pm
Look, in the KNIFEAHOLIC movie, there is a knife throw/catch sequence. It can already be done!

zyxstand
March 19, 2005, 3:05 am
DUDE the knives aren't thrown AT them...READ ABOVE - they catch the knife after it hit the wall...it don do damage after that no more!

and mystery, the problem with making it "only if it hit chest" is that it's hard to see and it'd be cool that either, the enemey would hit you so u catch it, or he misses...with there being a "if i hit u in the legs/head u die no matter what" then there won't be too much use for the knife!

and people, i strongly disagree that catrching knife will make knife useless: you're only rarely going to see an enemy without weapon (assuming that u cannot catch knife while in the "f" process of dropping gun, but only if u don have a gun to begin with (or chainsaw or other non-knife weapon)). and if u think that this new feature will make most people try to catch knfie that it's just another risk THEY're taking cuz if they see a guy with knife coming and they think "ha, i drop my gun and catch his knife and throw it back! it'll be so SWEET" then either, he can just not throw it and stab, or switch to main weapon (assuming he has one) and then the other guy will be gunless! i still stick with the original idea!

Maxx
March 19, 2005, 5:04 am
quote:Originally posted by mystery00That it exactly why it should be made more difficult, first of all, knife doesn't always hit you in the chest, this will descrease the chance of catching it, second of all, most of the time that you are hit by a knife, you are carrying a weapon and so you won't have time to throw it away and catch the knife. Third of all you have to also be looking in the direction of the knife. Maybe these rules acctually make it too hard, so I think some of them shouldn't come into place (providing catching knives is added), so it will be semi-difficult to catch a knife, but still possible if there is no other option.

grand_diablo, does that change your mind at all?

Mystery

This would suck in knife-only matches.

Some guy throws his, you throw yours at him, he catches it, throws it in your face, you die.

Catching would be easier in a knife match, cause' prople aren't usually carrying weapons near as much as in like a DM.

That would suck.

mystery00
March 19, 2005, 6:01 am
Maxx, don't you think that in a knife only match it would be more fun this way? I mean imagine you don't have a knife, and you can't get to one either because the guy that you threw your knife at (and missed) is now standing over it and laughing because he knows you'll have to come and get it, you go for your knife, he throws, you catch on you way to him and stab!

Mystery

Maxx
March 19, 2005, 1:41 pm
Good point, but, nah, I don't like it.

Captain Ben
March 19, 2005, 1:49 pm
how about while we're at it, we can add catchable grenades, law missiles and even bullets :P

Maxx
March 19, 2005, 6:05 pm
Yeah, catch em' in yer mouth, then spit em' out at gunslingin' speeds!

LOL.
=D

lastpatriot
March 19, 2005, 6:21 pm
Maybe you could do swattable grenades. Someone is throwing it, punch it away. It's possible in real life.

zyxstand
March 20, 2005, 5:25 am
ight guys, i dunno if ur just tyring to be jerks, but i really consider this a more serious topic and a way this game works is that nades blow up on hit (so no catching stuff)! i still like this idea....press f to catch!

KnOt
March 20, 2005, 1:29 pm
I really like this idea.. I would end up throwing away my secondary weapon just so if needed, I can change weap and be ready to catch a knife -_-