( search forums )
smartER explosions
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
zyxstand
March 17, 2005, 10:29 pm
i don't like the unrealistic fact that when a grenade is being thrown or M79 against a poly and it explodes and the poly is rather thin and there';s a perosn on the other side that the person gets hurt...i konw it'd be really hard to just keep it on that side however "particle-based" explosions would do the job - and lagg...so i dunno - if the server could just render the explosion field itself to determine who gets hurt and then the individual clients could do it themselves as well just to let the player see where the explosion it there wouldn't be any internet lag.

wadda think?

Elemental
March 17, 2005, 11:08 pm
Run-on sentences galore XD
But ya, I guess it should be done..get Soldat more realistic..hmm :/

Michal
March 17, 2005, 11:12 pm
I definitely support any improvements to the current explosions.
A particle based system would probably be the best way.

Krios
March 18, 2005, 12:05 am
Soldat is great the way it is but alittle ity bity more deatil could be put into it. Some times you get too much detail and Soldat gets hard to see.

zyxstand
March 18, 2005, 12:37 am
what u mean gets hard to see?

Elemental
March 18, 2005, 12:38 am
I think he means complicated..

Loltor
March 18, 2005, 12:41 am
Shooting people through thin polys can be very fun though. Especially in Arena. You know where I mean :/

Deleted User
March 18, 2005, 1:40 am
ageid explosins need to be better

zyxstand
March 18, 2005, 1:50 am
agreed**
yea i love the shoot-throgh-poly glitch...i abuse it and i don like the fact that i can, yet i still do...

Vanana
March 18, 2005, 1:57 am
lol, those are pretty cool :P

BManx2000
March 18, 2005, 11:47 pm
*ahem*
BACK TO THE TOPIC...

I think the best way to do this would be to calculate if there is line of sight from the explosion point for anyone within range of the explosion. Soldat already does line of sight with realistic mode and the bots' vision, so I think this could be implemented relatively easily (although I am not a programmer, so I know nothing).

zyxstand
March 19, 2005, 3:06 am
neh, i dunno how that system of "is it in your sight" works but it seems to be really crappy (though great idea) cuz it's kinda weird, so particle motion, i believe, would be the best!

JiggaBlue
March 19, 2005, 3:38 am
That makes no sence, thats like saying shooting a 2 inch metal floor with people on it with a m79 wouldnt hurt them. I'm sure it would.

zyxstand
March 19, 2005, 4:05 am
ok, the polygons in the game are totally solid. nothing can destroy them. now if you stand on one side no explosion can penetrate the polygon without breaking it...it's like having a 1-foot thick steel wall and you explode a littl bomb that can't break the polygon anyways so there's no way it can get to u!

Wopkeuh
March 19, 2005, 10:53 am
I think it's a good thing it can happen.
I often find ledge-campers and I can just shoot them down using my trusty M79.
In my humble opinion.... keep it in.

Alamo
March 19, 2005, 12:24 pm
Yep... Sounds good. If it's considered it should be done in the line-of-sight manner someone suggested before.

Wopkeuh: Your (IMHO) ugly, non transparent signature is too big (>20k) and too wide (>350). You should change that before someone else does.

zambo_the_clown
March 19, 2005, 3:05 pm
i say when theres an explosion on the ground, dirt and dust should jusy fly up. These would be little particles but lots of em.

Marine
March 20, 2005, 5:24 am
Shrapnel?

zyxstand
March 20, 2005, 5:36 am
i don think he means shrpnel...just for picture (i think)
anyways, it's fun to have cool non-real-unrealistic stuff, but once in a while u gotta keep it down to earth.
line-of-sight based explosions will work pretty crappily since that out-of-line in realistic mode also sux (weird it is) - besdies, if u do it particle-based for rendering the explosions and semi-particle-based for the explosion animation then it'll work out great...instead of set .bmp images played in a row...reason for this is: the computer should render how much kinetic energy the particfles have (sry for getting geeky) and how many hit u! like the further away u are the elss hit u and the slower they are... the clsoer u are the more hit and the faster they are so the more u get hurt...so if there's an explosions on the ground and someone is real close above it the particles will bounce off the ground and into his face causing more damage...and if ur close to a low-angled small corner and a nade explodes behind u then more particles will fly into u causing more damage to ur pathetic human body!

and with this i've also been wondering: it would be pretty cool to have it so that if a perosn stands behind another perosn on the same team and there's a nade in front of both, that the one who stands between the nade and the other person gets hit immensly and the person behind doens't get hurt as much...though i'm not sure if people will ever use this feature, it would be cool. you COULD use it for protecting the guy with flag by standing real close to him so that any explosion in front of u will not hurt the flagger.

Hanz
March 20, 2005, 6:36 am
Im with keeping it the way it is now, Wopkeuh made a good point. It is useful to have the ability to hurt people through the floor if it is thin. It just adds to the games difficulity, makes people have to move around a little more. Camping would become an all time high if you coulden't hurt people through objects...(Although I do not hate camping, most other people do though)

zyxstand
March 20, 2005, 7:54 am
hmm, u do have a point now that i consider hiding behind colliders... i'd say just not through polygons - u can hurt if through colliders.

Krieg
March 27, 2005, 8:50 pm
leave the exposions alone, if theres a guy on a small platform around 5 millimeters high, you want to be able to knock him off or hurt him relitivly badly, i love my grenades and my law and dont screw with them they are lovely :D

UltraMagnus
March 28, 2005, 7:36 am
dont screw with the explosions, its actually realistic that somone standing on somthing as thick as a peice of paper gets hurt when a nade expodes under it.....