( search forums )
ctf_Trench (Updated)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
GreatRick
March 19, 2005, 11:47 am
****UPDATED now with better shading and fixed typo****
**** i also attempted to waypoint but the bots still get stuck occationally****

this map took me 3 days to make i hope u like it :) and on the second day i was browsing through the forums and i saw this map called ctf_wistle which is also a trench map.. so i decided to get some ideas from that map. one thing that interested me was the artillery system, which i think is very neat, so i decided to modified it so instead of using grenades u use laws. i'll have more info on how to use the artillery system later but here are some pictures:

Artillery Tower:
http://img163.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img163&image=trenchartillary1kt.jpg

Overview:
http://img202.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img202&image=trenchoverview0fw.png

Download: http://llsc.us/members/greatrick/uploads/ctf_Trench.rar
How to use the Artillery system:

1. Stand on the blue coloured ground located in the artillery towers in both ends of the map and on the middle trench

2. Aim at the white target with law and fire

3. If this is done correctly, the rocket will throw itself into the enermy trench

Post here also to report any bugs... thx

i'll greatly appreciate it if someone waypointed this map... thx :) (its waypointed now but if someone wants to make it better you're more then welcome to)

This map is also quite fun to play with bots... especially when you have 5 bots on bravo team and your the only one on alpha.. its really challenging

Alamo
March 19, 2005, 12:44 pm
I think the map design is too straight. And you lack shading in the towers. :) But artillery is a nice idea.

Elemental
March 19, 2005, 3:26 pm
I think the grey on the left and right sides is a lil bit boring, maybe add some shading there too. otherwise, its ok

Rhombus
March 19, 2005, 3:45 pm
its artillery, kinda looks stupid when you walk past a sign with a typo.

Droopy
March 19, 2005, 4:01 pm
^^
True.

It's an ok map. The shading could be better. I'm guessing you're quite new to map making. The gameplay is good and the artillery is a nice bonus. Like Alamo said it's a bit too flat(campers would be a big problem) and there isn't much cover in the center of the map too.

But it's a good start. Keep mapping.

Maxx
March 19, 2005, 6:00 pm
It's pretty flat, and the turrets everywhere don't help, but cool artillery thing.

You get an A for artilleryness.
=D

Rambo_6
March 19, 2005, 7:16 pm
Try looking at ctf_ShellShock... It accomplished what you have tried to create.

MercyM
March 19, 2005, 7:18 pm
Somehow, it looks a bit odd. BTW, good job.

Norse
March 19, 2005, 8:07 pm
Making fix spelling corrections with artillery, and add A LOT more shading to give it a realistic flair(?)

Still looks good though. Try taking a peek at some of the tutorials that involve shading. When you think of shading, try thinking of three things:

In a darker shading area for ex. it would be tucked away, and out of the sunlight. Just like when you take away light off of a surface, what was there now is dark. It makes the lighting effects seem realistic, and also when playing the map, makes it more enjoyable imho.

GreatRick
March 19, 2005, 9:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by Droopy^^
True.

It's an ok map. The shading could be better. I'm guessing you're quite new to map making. The gameplay is good and the artillery is a nice bonus. Like Alamo said it's a bit too flat(campers would be a big problem) and there isn't much cover in the center of the map too.

But it's a good start. Keep mapping.

this map is suppose to be a very low scoring map... which means you will die most of the time u try to get the flag. ive put healing polys in the trenches to make it harder for people to go pass. also.. and camping is what you suppose to do when you defend your flag.

i'll fix the shading and the sign now :P

vash763
March 19, 2005, 11:12 pm
i luv these kinda maps. but maybe expand on the artillery idea, and put some more spaces to fire from

March 20, 2005, 12:24 pm
Now this map ROX!
Hmm, the name is a bit misleading, but i love this sorta stuff. tricks with guides u can pull! Now thats great for training. Perhaps more potholes, a bigger central base and maybe a shield/ guard that troops can hide behind when passing over open ground.

Leo Da Lunerfox
March 20, 2005, 7:02 pm
I'm glad that my map inspired you, finally another fellow mapper that does trenches....wheeee

GreatRick
March 20, 2005, 10:08 pm
quote:Originally posted by 117Now this map ROX!
Hmm, the name is a bit misleading, but i love this sorta stuff. tricks with guides u can pull! Now thats great for training. Perhaps more potholes, a bigger central base and maybe a shield/ guard that troops can hide behind when passing over open ground.

heh glad you like it :) i was wondering what you mean by a shield