( search forums )
Demo conversion
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Darkfist007
March 19, 2005, 11:36 pm
I want to convert a demo to a avi. I saw that it said export the demo to a bunch of bmps, but I don't know how. 1st off, I would like if it possible to export it to jpgs, obvious file size reasons. I have programs that can put the images together so I dont need help on that. I just need to know how to export and if I can export as jpgs, pngs, tgas, anything other then bmps. Sry if this is in the wrong subforum I didn't see a demo2avi subforum. Hmmmm maybe that should come out with the next update. >.<
Any help is good.

Deleted User
March 19, 2005, 11:52 pm
ok this should probably be in the developers corner or something similar but definitly not here so, sorry, im not helping

Unlucky 13
March 20, 2005, 12:03 am
You are better off to Fraps the demo than go around playing with the .bmp way but anyway...

1. Use the command prompt to go to your Soldat folder, then type "Soldat.exe -demo *name* *player/freecam* *speed* *texts* *extract .bmp*", where...
*name* = the demo name*player/freecam* = the camera is fixed to a player, or fixed to the mouse (0 is player, 1 is mouse)*speed* = Demo play speed in %(You may want this lower if you have a slow PC)*texts* = Turn text/interface on or off (0 is on, 1 is off)*extract.bmp* is to extract .bmp files to the Demos>Extracted folder (0 is no, 1 is yes)(You'll want that on)
2. Download bmp2avi (Google it) and let it do its stuff.

That can be hard, so I think using Fraps is better.

b00stA
March 20, 2005, 10:03 am
Soldat can't extract demos to anything other than Bitmap. It makes sense. It already lags when you write the bitmaps (okay, because of slow hard drives). If you wanted to have JPEGs or anything else that is compressed, it will lag even more because it has to use a lot of CPU cycles to compress.

The best way is to use Fraps to capture the already recorded demos.
Get the Fraps to capture the demo while it is running.
Afterwards recompress the captured AVI files using VirtualDub or any other linear video editing tool.

Darkfist007
March 20, 2005, 3:02 pm
Thanx for the programs and instructions, as well as politely saying that I was in the wrong area. >.< Ty.