( search forums )
page number bug in topic list
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
FliesLikeABrick
March 20, 2005, 1:59 am
I noticed this a while ago, just never had any motivation to post about it:

in any list of topics (forum indexes, active topics list etc), there will be like:

Topic name
[small page numbers 1 through 10]
[big page numbers for anything above 10]

[IMAGE]

Unlucky 13
March 20, 2005, 2:23 am
Before that is fixed, I really think they should fix blank pages on larger threads.
Ah... maybe that can't be done.

But yeah, like FLaB said, I hate that look, little to big... eww.

2?

FliesLikeABrick
March 20, 2005, 3:04 am
yeah i know what you are talking about with the page numbers on long threads. It doesn't divide properly on long threads and estimates that an extra page is sometimes needed when it really isnt. i think it accumulates one extra blank page for every 20 pages of legit replies.

edit: bump

MercyM
April 4, 2005, 4:54 pm
quote:Originally posted by Unlucky 13
But yeah, like FLaB said, I hate that look, little to big... eww.
Hold ctrl + scroll?

FliesLikeABrick
April 4, 2005, 5:34 pm
you're missing the point of the bug in the first place

DT
April 4, 2005, 8:12 pm
what about the bug in the bash pit..that last person to post thread... it says 194 pages but i can only post on the 192nd...

FliesLikeABrick
April 4, 2005, 9:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickyeah i know what you are talking about with the page numbers on long threads. It doesn't divide properly on long threads and estimates that an extra page is sometimes needed when it really isnt. i think it accumulates one extra blank page for every 20 pages of legit replies.

edit: bump

Deleted User
April 8, 2005, 5:46 pm
the lastpersonwhopostwinsafreelicense post is just st00pid

noone can ever win

STEELIX
April 8, 2005, 8:03 pm
No [IMAGE], Sherlock.

DNA.styx
April 9, 2005, 12:27 am
Psycho, that's the point of it, it's somewhere we can perform our mindless spam.

DT
April 9, 2005, 8:31 pm
yea if i didn't have any place to post my useless pics i would go nuts!... or something heh
soon that will haave the highest page count in all the forums!

UltraMagnus
April 9, 2005, 9:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by Psychothe lastpersonwhopostwinsafreelicense post is just st00pid

noone can ever win

a mod could win......

DNA.styx
April 11, 2005, 10:49 am
FliesLikeABrick, the topic paging font size looks fine for me. (IE6.1)

n00bface
April 11, 2005, 12:10 pm
quote:FliesLikeABrick, the topic paging font size looks fine for me. (IE6.1)
If you go into the bash pit to look at the Last Person Who Wins topic (for example) the bug doesn't show. It seems it's just an active topics thing, and the same thing shows up in IE as it does for me in Firefox.

Either way, it's not really a problem and has never bothered me..I actually didn't even notice 'till you started the topic :O What has bothered me though, is that page count bug.

DNA.styx
April 11, 2005, 12:27 pm
> It seems it's just an active topics thing,
Ahh right. Ok, found & fixed.

> What has bothered me though, is that page count bug.
Yea, that's been an issue for as long as I can remember.

FliesLikeABrick
April 11, 2005, 2:35 pm
>> What has bothered me though, is that page count bug.
>Yea, that's been an issue for as long as I can remember.

that is a simple math flaw somewhere in the active topics page, or maybe the viewforum page (whatever that script name is, it isnt worth looking up, im sure you know what i mean)

on the first page of each topic, it allows for 22 posts (21 replies, plus the original post)

the forums are set up to allow 20 replies per page, but are in fact putting 21. so for every page of replies, it accumulates one post of error. after 20 pages of replies (notice that this whole page bug only appears with threads containing over 1000 pages of replies) it adds an entire extra page estimate anywhere, thinking that it will contain posts. but when the topic.asp is sent the request for that page, it queries the SQL for "select.... limit pagenum*20,21"... 21 (tells it to grab up to 21 results, though i might have the exact syntax wrong, i havent dealt with 2-part LIMITs in a while) because it meant to do that only for the first page.

Essentially, topic.asp shows one more reply on each page than it should, so by the time the thread gets to 1000 replies, topic.asp is asked to show an extra page, when it in fact shows those posts that are supposed to be there in earlier pages instead.

Im sure that if i had access to the source of the forums I could spot the exact problem, but the fact is I don't

Hopefully this explained something and didn't just confuse you.

DNA.styx
April 12, 2005, 7:56 pm
> the forums are set up to allow 20 replies per page
Nope, they are set for 21 I've no idea why we ended up with an uneven figure but there ya go :)
I changed it to 20 and tested the "free licence" thread, it was still four pages outta sync.

Clickity for the forum download.

FliesLikeABrick
April 13, 2005, 1:44 am
alright i will look at it.

I forgot to consider it was probably a variable setting, so look for some bug in the pages where it uses the variable minus one somewhere in the math and screws it up. I'll take a look at that when i'm bored and have nothing better to do.