( search forums )
Soldat Mod For UT2004
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Commoner
March 20, 2005, 3:28 pm
Did you guys know that there's a Soldat Mod for UT2004?

I just noticed it today. Here's the link for those of you who have UT2004 and want to try it out.

[URL]

I haven't tried it myself since my copy of UT2004 is at my house but I guess I'll tell you guys what I think after I manage to try it at home.

Jaz
March 20, 2005, 3:41 pm
Looks crap

zoldat
March 20, 2005, 3:53 pm
dosent look like soldat at all

peemonkey
March 20, 2005, 4:03 pm
what's it supposed to have to do with soldat, besides the fact that it's 2d?

Commoner
March 20, 2005, 4:10 pm
Dunno like I said, I haven't tried it yet. But I'm assuming that it tries to give the Soldat feel and gameplay using UT2004 engine and graphics.

At the very least I would say that its most probably inspired by Soldat given the fact that it is called the "Soldat Mod".

Alamo
March 20, 2005, 4:14 pm
I think the name 'Soldat Mod' does not necessarily mean that it's inspired by the game 'Soldat'. Soldat is a word in many languages (e.g. german, polish, etc.) that translates to soldier.

Michal
March 20, 2005, 4:30 pm
Soldat isn't a Polish word, Soldier is zolnierz in Polish ;)

MercyM
March 20, 2005, 4:36 pm
Indeed.

Teh Panda
March 20, 2005, 5:20 pm
Its said in the site...The first in our series of small UT2004 mods was released yesterday, taking the form of a 2D sidescrolling mod. The mod changes UT gameplay into a 'Soldat' style game, and includes some nice improvements on other 2D mods...

Elemental
March 20, 2005, 6:58 pm
You got Soldat from the german word for soldier right? Or is there another language..

Deleted User
March 20, 2005, 8:01 pm
that definitly does not look a damn thing like soldat (wrote that with my elbow (:)

b00stA
March 20, 2005, 8:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by ElementalYou got Soldat from the german word for soldier right? Or is there another language..

RTFF: http://www.soldat.pl/faq.html
[code]3. What does "Soldat" mean!?

"Soldat" means "soldier" in the following languages: german, dutch,
norwegian, swedish, danish, french, slovenian, afrikaans, russian,
catalan and romanian.[/code]

STEELIX
March 20, 2005, 8:27 pm
Bull[IMAGE], it's "soldaat" in Dutch.

damnnation
March 20, 2005, 9:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by STEELIXBull[IMAGE], it's "soldaat" in Dutch.

Hanz
March 21, 2005, 12:51 am
No matter what way you say it, no matter what way you mod it, the original Soldat is always the best.

It must be flattering for MM too see people leaning towards his game, trying to make the "Big Games" like Soldat.

Gangsterlance
March 21, 2005, 9:41 am
well, say what you want, but I like that mod.

Especially for the mutators/weaponmods you can choose additionally ^^

MercyM
March 21, 2005, 12:08 pm
I didn't know that.
P.S. If someone thinks, that it's soldat in Finnish, it isn't. It is sotilas... >:P

Rhombus
March 21, 2005, 1:26 pm
I sent an e-mail to the big and mighty M about the dutch part in that answer, and he didnt reply, nor change it! (and that was like, 3 months ago?)

LazehBoi
March 23, 2005, 12:16 am
It's not that bad actually. It looks really nice, and apart from the no jets and the bots being able to see you from ages-away (I beat the godlike bots on a map :D ) it's really good.
Now to find some humans to play with. :|

Commoner
March 23, 2005, 12:50 am
I just tried the Soldat UT2004 Mod myself. Apart from having controls similar to Soldat, it doesn't really play very much like Soldat the reason being alot of the weapons (such as the rocket launcher, flak canon, link gun, shock rifle) shoot projectiles at a much slower rate than in Soldat. The effect is that you can actually end up maneuvering in a way to dodge the incomming projectiles (as opposed to moving around quickly and randomly to avoing getting hit by bullets that fly by so quickly that you pretty have no hope of changing directions quickly enough to avoid an incomming bullet that's about to hit). I would personally say that this makes the gameplay closer to arcade games like metal slug as opposed to soldat.

There are also other major differences such the lack of jump jets which makes a big deal and the fact that you reach a pretty slow top speed almost instantly in the soldat ut2004 mod as opposed to soldat where you can go on accelerating for quite awhile to very fast speeds by running downhill and such. I also find that I miss alot of the maneuvers in soldat when playing the ut2004 mod such as rolling and going prone. Also the bots in the ut2004 mod are pretty dumb particularly in ctf and their sight goes way beyond that of a normal player.

On the upside the ut2004 mod has some pretty neat features that come with ut2004 itself such as the ragdolls which adds even more to a sidescroller than it does to an FPS since you get to see the physics in action alot more in side view. Also the soldat ut2004 mod supports invasion mode which lets you play with friends against ever growing hordes of aliens. Although the game mode existed already in ut2004, I personally think it plays alot better as a sidescroller than in fps.

The conclusion of course is that the soldat and the soldat ut2004 mod are very differnt from eath other. Both have their good points and bad points and in the end its really a matter of opinion and mood which one somebody prefers to play. Overall, however, I would say both are very good and everybody who is a fan of sidescrollers should atleast try both.

Vanana
March 23, 2005, 1:35 am
better to have a UT2004 MOD
on SOLDAT =P

Deleted User
March 23, 2005, 2:40 pm
soldat is the norwegian word for soldier too i think.

Melba
March 24, 2005, 1:48 pm
No need to state which language 'soldat' means 'soldier' in, b00stA's post pretty much summed it up.

All dutch words has two a's.

jaa daas stimmt ;D

SPARTAN_III
March 24, 2005, 4:03 pm
its not really a soldat mod, its just a 2d ut2k4 game. but it looks nice. the only thing soldat about it is the controls. read the readme.

Denacke
March 24, 2005, 7:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by MelbaNo need to state which language 'soldat' means 'soldier' in, b00stA's post pretty much summed it up.

All dutch words has two a's.

jaa daas stimmt ;D

"jaa daas stimmt" is GERMAN

/me slaps melba around with a trout

DO NOT CONFUSE GERMAN WITH DUTCH YOU FOOL! ;)

STEELIX
March 24, 2005, 8:36 pm
/me slaps Melba as well.

dadarkman
March 24, 2005, 9:03 pm
/me slaps Melba as well

WE ARE NOT GERMANY...WE ARE HOLLAND...GET IT?

b00stA
March 25, 2005, 12:50 pm
GERMAN WORDS DON'T HAVE TWO A'S!

zomg

Deleted User
March 25, 2005, 1:01 pm
Aal, Saal, Aas(geier) usw .. ^^

just the verbs (verben oO) havn't got double A ;)

Iag0
March 26, 2005, 3:01 pm
has this thread gone off topic, or is it just me?