( search forums )
A new kind of poly
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Improvements / Suggestions
The Geologist
March 20, 2005, 8:03 pm
As I was making a map the other day, an idea occured to me. I realize this idea has probably been brought up before, and it might not be of any use to anyone but myself :P

We have "doesn't collide" polys, which your soldat moves behind on screen. However, these could be made better by the addition of a kind of poly that was soley in the background. It doesn't collide with anything, and your soldat can run in front of it. This could help create some better backgrounds as well as add a depth to maps that can't be attained at this point in time. Questions, comments?

grand_diablo
March 20, 2005, 8:05 pm
Not a new idea, still i support it, this would be very useful

Darkspirit
March 20, 2005, 9:30 pm
Yeah since i made INF_Witchwood, i wanted to put polys in the background, it can be really useful.

paramud
March 20, 2005, 9:32 pm
take a screen of the polies and use it as scenery, viola! n....

The Geologist
March 20, 2005, 9:37 pm
Viola, I have a bunch of custom sceneries that make the map download way too huge. Sorry, but no...already tried that, and it's too much of a hassle for some Soldaters in terms of downloading and playing the maps smoothly.

Michal
March 20, 2005, 9:46 pm
Yeah, I would like to have a background layer for polys.

Darkspirit
March 25, 2005, 1:08 pm
Is background polys can be transparent like sceneries?

Keron Cyst
March 25, 2005, 11:55 pm
'Geologist's background polygons, from what I can tell, function like polygonal versions of scenery set to 0 (behind everything, including normal polygons).

GluLm
March 26, 2005, 12:16 am
Oh wow... wasn't this already suggested, over and over again?
I barely remember that a lot of suggestions about background polygons have been made during the past years.
Anyway, I think that's a good idea and it's probably ok to mention it again.
As for transparency... why not, but it would be hardly possible.

The Geologist
March 26, 2005, 1:18 am
Your sarcasm isn't needed, just like your approval. Glad you agree, don't need to hear the rest.

Jamesmax0
May 31, 2005, 2:34 am
You got my approval

bond_james_bond
June 10, 2005, 1:02 am
its a good idea

mar77a
June 10, 2005, 2:48 am
But this can be done with the "Send Back" button, or am i wrong?

PS: This button can be found in MM++

MurtadA-KinG
June 13, 2005, 6:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by mar77aBut this can be done with the "Send Back" button, or am i wrong?

PS: This button can be found in MM++

Nope, can't it's just that the polygons go to the back of the layer on top of the one you are playing on:

Layer 1-scenery[option]
Layer 2-polygons[static]
Layer 3-scenery[option]
Layer 4-player[static]
Layer 5-scenery[option]

Deleted User
June 13, 2005, 7:02 pm
I wanted this.. when I attempted to create a map, I was looking for how to make such a polygon.. finaly I saw there was no such thing :D. supported!
[edit] first NOW I see that this is an old thread.. well bleh :P

Zero72
June 13, 2005, 7:45 pm
I completely agree. This would be very useful indeed.

SPARTAN_III
June 28, 2005, 12:22 pm
this idea earns my approval

rabidhamster
July 14, 2005, 5:45 pm
i've seen this idea before, but i still really like it.

Deleted User
July 28, 2005, 6:31 pm
how about the ability to out-line a certin area and then delet whatevers in that space?
and the option of making scenery somthing you can stand on, and depending on the scenery you can shoot it and it will move, like when you shoot grenade boxes.

Deleted User
July 28, 2005, 6:36 pm
im not trying to get free post scores but i wanted to also say you should be able to change each of the poly textures

rabidhamster
July 30, 2005, 2:33 pm
^uberdoggy, you can edit your posts you know. i've seen a lot of double posting from you...

Deleted User
July 31, 2005, 5:32 am
that would be pretty cool. it would confuse me too much though

Eoi
August 24, 2005, 11:12 am
You can do this in map maker pro, I'm pretty sure you can, but i still stick to the original map maker.

Map maker pro can be found on www.selfkill.com

Deleted User
August 24, 2005, 12:47 pm
Suggested so many times ._.