( search forums )
Pacman effect
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Roy
March 24, 2005, 9:47 pm
What if there were a Pacman effect in Soldat? What I mean is, what if there were an edge to the map, and if you walked beyond that edge you'd come out through the edge on the opposite side? You could do it for both horizontal and vertical.

In order to make such a map in the mapmaker, you'd have to define which axis' would loop, and the dimensions between the edges. Then, red lines would appear in the mapmaker designating where the edges were. If you placed polygons over the red line, it would automatically be split to continue to the other side.

Imagine the possibilities. You could have an infinitely tiled deathmatch map, or a capture the flag map where you could jet up OR jump down and still end up in the enemy base. Imagine the complexities it could add to gameplay. Maybe a giant, endless plane, or a falling map where everyone is falling forever, and the scarce platforms are fiercly fought over.

Is it realistic according to the very nature of space-time? Probably not. But put to creative use, it could be [IMAGE]ing fantastic. I know it doesn't fully mesh with the Soldat theme, but I couldn't help but suggest it.

MercyM
March 25, 2005, 1:08 pm
Would be the next step in Soldat.

Deleted User
March 25, 2005, 1:44 pm
this would be fun...id love the idea of the neverending deathmatch map...

This along with the ability to sontrol the size of the map grid
and the recent idea of "foreground polys" would make soldat awesome

It would be fun on a small map grid where someone could be scoping and see themselves lol

liquidis x snake
March 25, 2005, 2:50 pm
That's a brilliant idea.

papasurf31
March 25, 2005, 2:51 pm
the only reson this works with pasman is because the pacman screen never scrolls, which doesn't apply for soldat. The closest this could ever be in soldat would be with teleporters that send you to the other side of the map.

UltraMagnus
March 25, 2005, 3:09 pm
IMO this would be good if it was a option when creating a map, otherwise it would make it even more complicated to get started with the map maker and would mean all current maps would have to be redone

Magniitude
March 25, 2005, 3:14 pm
It would acount for a pretty hilarious map though.

Alamo
March 25, 2005, 3:23 pm
yep... brilliant.

Vanana
March 25, 2005, 6:48 pm
nice idea, but it'll be a huge disadvantage for campers
(im not saying i am)
and campers have been forming part of the soldat
gamestyle =P

paramud
March 25, 2005, 7:25 pm
at first i thought this topic was suggesting the soldat does that little thing when pacman dies, but this idea actually sounds good.

zyxstand
March 26, 2005, 7:09 am
exactly wat i was gonna say, papasurf31 - except that there is another way of creating this - u could have repeated maps: like you walk to the right edge of the map and you'll see the left side - only problem would be for the computer to get looping errors from over-multiple-repeated maps in all directions... like a map maker testing the boundaries of such a new feature makes a map tats just one itty bitty tiny platform but it repeats itself when u walk horizontally so then the computer has to create thousands of copies in both (all) directions and...you'd see like thousands of people...it sounds simple but the coding for such a repeated, looped, side-scroling, 2d action game is just to hard to create...without getting some kinda dimension error.

vash763
March 26, 2005, 7:44 am
couldnt you shoot one way, and hit yourself when it came back around (barret especially)? would that be friendly fire, or what?

UltraMagnus
March 26, 2005, 9:09 am
that my friend is what you call funny

zyxstand
March 26, 2005, 5:17 pm
and if the map is small enough you could shoot one direction and it'll pass by you (hopefully not thorugh you) a couple of times ...but just how long should the computer render these shots since they techincally COULD never reach an end.

Gen0cide
March 26, 2005, 7:44 pm
Lmao,bullets going round and round until they hit something.
But then again..this whole idea would cause lag,especially the bullets I'm thinking.

But you could make a very fun game out of this.
Shoot a barret close to the ground and people have to jump over it,then if they die they're out ^_^

Cowzilla
March 26, 2005, 9:25 pm
I like the idea of an infinitely falling map, and it all takes place while falling, without any land at all. It would be the most unique map ever.

UltraMagnus
March 26, 2005, 9:43 pm
it could lag alot, especially with more than one minigun.....

but i do like the idea of a matrix style infinate white corridor map

motocrossy
March 26, 2005, 11:15 pm
Wait... But on a map with no land, (falling) bullets wouldn't dissappear until they hit someone, causing a stupifiyng amount of lag... Maybe bullets could only make the loop 2 times horizontal and vertical... Just a thought.

Jaz
March 26, 2005, 11:23 pm
holy [IMAGE] "!!!!!!!!

Like a never ending circle map of falling, then falling again. 2 m79s, best aim wins :D

zyxstand
March 26, 2005, 11:56 pm
guys tats not too much a problme, really - if u wanna mess up ur soldat, fine, make a stupid map. another way to solve this lil problem would be to make it only repeat horizontally - that way no bullet can stay forever!

the main problem would be the coding and how (even conceptually this is difficult) to make the computer render these things... or i might just be wrong and its real ez. big M, work your magic

Krieg
March 27, 2005, 7:12 pm
umm, verticall teleports? i dont think so, because then you'll come through and be trapped in the bottom of the map "/ waste of time even using the topic space now apologise

Roy
March 28, 2005, 7:01 am
The simple way of preventing a very small map from repeating itself more than once inside of the screen is to make a minimum map size. Any map which included looping would have to be bigger than the screen size.

And yeah, having too many bullets in a falling map would be a problem... I liked the idea of having the bullets loop only a certain amount of times.

Really, you can't think about looping being applied to the current Soldat maps... it just wouldn't work well, I agree. But once you start designing maps specifically around the looping concept... It'd rock. I'm sure there are some clever programming tricks which could implement this efficiently.

vash763
March 28, 2005, 8:14 am
quote:Originally posted by Gen0cideShoot a barret close to the ground and people have to jump over it,then if they die they're out ^_^

jumprope anyone?

lastpatriot
March 28, 2005, 11:20 am
quote:Originally posted by paramudat first i thought this topic was suggesting the soldat does that little thing when pacman dies, but this idea actually sounds good.

That would be great, though. The soldier splits in half, withers down, then explodes in a blood cloud.

SPARTAN_III
March 28, 2005, 12:56 pm
we could recreate that scene in matrix revolutions where neo runs into the train tunnel and comes out the other side!

but heres a glitch. i put a disappear line somewhere, and its corresponding reappear line in a another place, but i put another disappear line on the same spot. i would be constantly disappearing and reappearing. or a jackass would put a disappear line on a spawnpoint. seems a bit too glitchy, but its an interesting concept. good idea

Roy
March 28, 2005, 5:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by SPARTAN_IIIwe could recreate that scene in matrix revolutions where neo runs into the train tunnel and comes out the other side!

but heres a glitch. i put a disappear line somewhere, and its corresponding reappear line in a another place, but i put another disappear line on the same spot. i would be constantly disappearing and reappearing. or a jackass would put a disappear line on a spawnpoint. seems a bit too glitchy, but its an interesting concept. good idea

No no no, you don't disappear and teleport to the other side, it's a seamless meld between both sides. You could run/fall forever and never teleport or anything; it's all continuous.

Deleted User
March 28, 2005, 5:23 pm
peeps this is a good idea, u could fire a barrett and it would alomost go on forever...

zambo_the_clown
March 28, 2005, 5:40 pm
lol i could imagine geting the sucker who is on the other side of the map

MercyM
March 28, 2005, 6:00 pm
What about the "locked" maps (e.g. ctf_Laos), that has got walls on both side? How could you go past them...?
EDIT: Ehe, this is brilliant, but it could be only optionable.

Michal Marcinkowski
March 28, 2005, 7:26 pm
This idea is very good and original. I don't know how hard it would be to do it, probably teleports would be easier but it wouldn't look so cool.

MercyM
March 28, 2005, 7:28 pm
/tele?
It would teleport you to a random place in the map.

Deleted User
March 28, 2005, 7:39 pm
maybe what mercym said.......

zyxstand
March 29, 2005, 1:15 am
no no no...u guys have the whole idea wrong...i think: i don think that if u walk off the left side of the screen you should suddenly appear on the right (and the camera moves...) - instead, it should be one continuous map and when u walk through the left you come out of what appears to be the right but is connected directly to the left side...get it?

and there shouldn't be any vertical repeats!!! good reason would be so that u can never have repeating bullets tat loop infinitely many times...with only horizontal loops that bullet's gotta hit something eventually!

and about tha maps: maps should be created so that both teams could attack from either side! imagine laos extending a bit further on the edges and with that horizontal loop. if you're red team, then you could go the normal path to the right OR you could go to the left and come out the end of the right side...however this way, you can't really say "end" of map since it doens't have an end...
it's like that mario vs luigi face-off...except it's continuous, not spontaneous teleportation to opposite side.

Keron Cyst
March 29, 2005, 3:21 am
quote:Originally posted by zyxstand... it should be one continuous map and when u walk through the left you come out of what appears to be the right but is connected directly to the left side...get it?...
Yeah, I got that part (camera never abruptly switches position). That's what makes the idea so awesome B)

zyxstand
March 29, 2005, 3:52 am
right on target, keron. AND NO VERTICAL REPEATS, please! too many problems (explained above but i can't reenforce it enuf)!

as of to how to do the coding for it (which is the hardest part when trying not to get a memory leak or just do this the best memory-saving efficient way) big M's gotta work his magic here.

Keron Cyst
March 29, 2005, 5:47 am
quote:Originally posted by MercyMWhat about the "locked" maps... that has got walls on both side? How could you go past them...?...

Why, that's what new maps are for, MercyM! :P And CTF_Voland was edited for the northward hatch. Why not any other maps? ;)

Roy
March 29, 2005, 5:39 pm
As I said, the looping effect would have to be specifically designed into the map, you couldn't simply edit current maps to use it and expect good results.

zyxstand
March 30, 2005, 4:08 am
that tru, roy... the official map makers (i don think its big M) would have to make new maps that would make sense for attackign from either side...OOOOOOMMMMMMFFFFFFGGGGGGGGGG:

THIS WILL CLEAR THE WORST PROBLEMS OF SOLDAT IN ITS ENTIRE HISTORY!!!
(someone should quote me for what i'm about to say)

Ladies and gentlemen,
this "pac man" idea will clear the worst problem of all! it will prevent those f***ing campers from camping around base since they can be attacked from either side!!! this is a MUCH more practical and not unfair way to get rid of those damn base-camping noobs!

Wopkeuh
March 31, 2005, 12:17 pm
I don't mind the campers... It improves my skills ;)

But about the pacman mode... I'd make it only horizontally.... This prevents bullets from flying infinitely.

And I agree with what has been said about the minimum map-size.... It should be well over what you can see on your screen....

If I'm not mistaken this would require soldat to draw at least twice (maybe even three times). I can imagine it would be difficult to implement. Drawing bullets and stuff multiple times.

Green Barret
March 31, 2005, 12:42 pm
I, for the most part, agree with this idea.

However, I think this should be disabled in CTF and INF as some people might use this feature to appear on the other side of the map. This would really be annoying(imagine this happening on ctf_voland...)

Roy
April 1, 2005, 9:18 am
quote:Originally posted by Green BarretI, for the most part, agree with this idea.

However, I think this should be disabled in CTF and INF as some people might use this feature to appear on the other side of the map. This would really be annoying(imagine this happening on ctf_voland...)

Oh come on, pacman effect would be PERFECT for CTF; pretty much for the reason you said. It adds a whole new aspect to capturing and defending.

GluLm
April 1, 2005, 4:21 pm
This would work on CTF too indeed...
Anyway it will be hard to make such a feature without having lots of bugs at first.
The idea is pretty good, but it would need another "mode" (like ctf, inf...) so that there won't be conflicts of gameplays...

Rhombus
April 1, 2005, 5:22 pm
I reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally don't like this Idea. It just feels so wrong shooting down through a hole, getting shot from above... by yourself...

zyxstand
April 1, 2005, 10:44 pm
OMG:
firstly, rhombus, we agreed (to the most) no VERTICAL loops - ONLY horizontal.
secondly, green barret, although you've already been told off by Roy, if you have read what i said you'd understand better why this is exactly what we need for ctf and inf maps. if you missed it here it's again:
IT ELIMINATES THE CAMPERS PROBLEM since you can appear from behind them and rape them (mostly as long as their in base). so you really need this.

sorry for posting so much but i feel like this is one of thee best ideas in a long time (next to mine XD)

Wopkeuh
April 3, 2005, 12:25 pm
I wouldn't think of changing current maps either... They work fine as they are... Looping maps should be special maps.

And about the calculating part: It shouldn't be as hard as you may think... Every programming language has a mod-function...
I'm going a bit technical now, but please bear with me:
mod returns the remainder of a division.
Ex. 8/3 = 2 ... the remainder is 2, because the remaining 2 can't be divided by 3.
Now for a small piece of code:
$bulletx = mod($bulletx,$screenwidth);
Running this small piece of code would ensure that if any object (bullet in this case) leaves the screen left or right, it would automatically reappear on the other side.

The drawing part will probably take up a lot more CPU power.

zyxstand
April 3, 2005, 5:40 pm
lmao - the probelm isn't that it's hard to tell an object (bullet, players other moving objects) to reappear on the other side! it's how to display it without having to suddenly move the camera to the other side and without there being a memory leak or some kidna error due to endless regeneration of the map. so far, the only thing that HELPS eliminate this problem is the minimum map size (horizontally) for the repeat. this way you can never see yourself more than once on one screen. and therefore the computer would only have to render wto screens at a time. HOWEVER, Wopkeuh, some repeat like what you said would be required (though im not sure what "language" you were speaking)

Wopkeuh
April 3, 2005, 11:40 pm
Since I didn't know what language it's made in I used my own version of pseudo language :P Using PHP's dollar signs to make clear what variables are.

I'm not very familiar in drawing with OpenGL, so I don't know if it requires absolute coordinates or if it's easy to draw relative coordinates (places that are not actually on your screen).
Map width should at least be 3x screenwidth, 2x for your FOV (you can see both left and right) and the 3rd one is for extended view for Barrett.

I thinks most standard Opengl programming packages only draw the absolute coords, but maybe using the mod thingy again it can be bypassed, depends on how opengl exactly works. And then there's the thing of polygon collision which soldat probably uses :(

But not to babble too much about things I don't know enough about, I think it's best we let MM decide. Anyway.... I think implementing this idea would add a whole new aspect to Soldat and make it better than it actually is. People who don't want to play loop-maps don't have to.
I admit this is very very very difficult to implement (though not impossible), but if other things come first, so be it.

sevin.
April 4, 2005, 12:03 am
hm loops would open up a lotta new possibilities for tricks

Kamikaze_Ninja
April 4, 2005, 1:14 am
haha imagine walking in a never ending loop through a limitless hallway or falling forever on a drop XD would be cool to have a never ending race map though make it all ice and go faster and faster =o

murska
April 4, 2005, 1:56 pm
But there would be no endless falling maps. What if bullets would not loop vertically, then we could have it?

sjl21488
April 24, 2005, 4:06 am
this is a horrible idea.

ON CTF maps the red team can cap the blue flag run off the map and come out at ther base. no no and no.

Deleted User
April 24, 2005, 11:55 am
Exactly... NO. teleporters could be a fun new addition to soldat. but u should be able to turn on/off at menu in case it turns out as a bad Idea many dislike.

Green Barret
April 24, 2005, 2:45 pm
Ok, someone just said that it eliminates camping problems but IT DOES NOT!

If an enemy player kept on popping behind your base at ctf_voland and kept capping your flag every 12 seconds, do you think that would be fun? Would players leave it alone, thinking "I don't care if they cap our flag every 12 seconds and spawnkill us so i will leave them alone and use the middle of the map, taking 30 secs to take their flag which would be too late"?

NO! Some of them would use the same pac man effect and rush the enemy base, making the middle of the map near obsolete(sp?). Others would camp, waiting for any enemy players that try to sneak behind their base. This results in players either rushing the enemy base via pac man effect or camping looking BOTH ways, making it nearly impossible to sneak on them without getting killed.

The best way to kill campers is using a route that is not often used. This allows you to kill campers unexpectedly and maybe even take their flag.

However, if this pac man effect is added in Soldat, more players would of course use the "back route", resulting in more people expecting enemy troops behind them and therefore camping at a place which makes even the back route uneffective. This pac man effect will only worsen the camping problem if added to CTF.

Please do not add this to CTF!

Keron Cyst
April 24, 2005, 4:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by sjl21488this is a horrible idea.

ON CTF maps the red team can cap the blue flag run off the map and come out at ther base. no no and no.
That's why any new maps that use it (we can keep the walls in the old maps, and edit ctf_Voland a bit :P) will have extended areas behind as well.

Mini Man
April 24, 2005, 4:49 pm
lol, at 1st i thought..my god this idea sucks, but after reading the 3 pages it seems to be more developed! i would like to see this implemented into soldat.

You can just imagine being in a underpass shooting with a barret (Altho i never use it) following the bullet off the map & coming up behind ureself, it would be hilarious!!

Keron Cyst
April 24, 2005, 5:24 pm
You're missing the point! The camera doesn't suddenly switch to the other "end" of the map once you pass it; if you kept running right, it'd always look like the map was repeating itself, so there is no "off the map" since it all connects. Man, I ought to make a simple .GIF of what xyzstand's trying to point out...

zyxstand
April 24, 2005, 5:42 pm
(zyxstand), yea - if i had an animation program.........ooooo you'd all be dead!

but since i don't, either tell me of one (cuz i can't find one) or just SHOW THEM!

murska
April 24, 2005, 7:17 pm
What if there would be an option to put it in the map, and there would be SPESIFICALLY(sp?) designed maps for this. Bases placed so that you have two routes that are as long.(Back and front.)

And why do you think camping as a problem. I think campers can be countered, it is a good tactic, but not impossible to counter, so why would someone want to get rid of it. I usually play to win, not to make fun tricks. If camping allows me to win, I camp.

Mini Man
April 24, 2005, 7:49 pm
I would love for this to be implemented!
MM - please allow it :D

i am ahab
April 25, 2005, 11:54 am
using the medium of ebay feedback to express my joy:
A+++ IDEA TOP IDEA-ER WILL COME AGAIN THANKYOU+++ !!!11

thats my piece...

zyxstand
April 25, 2005, 10:24 pm
main porblem withthis is doing the coding, as i hgave said but noone reads that stuff! esp. u murska! we already established that we can't just turn any map into a pacmaniacable map or pacmanable map! this option is to be made by the map maker - not as an in-game option!

so it'll just be hard to implement, i believe.

Keron Cyst
April 26, 2005, 1:18 am
quote:Originally posted by murskaWhat if there would be an option to put it in the map, and there would be SPESIFICALLY(sp?) designed maps for this. Bases placed so that you have two routes that are as long.(Back and front.)...
I think that maps simply walled in would have this feature disabled ;)

Deleted User
April 26, 2005, 8:01 am
we could try some pac-man maps, and if its fun and most ppl like it then ok..

murska
April 26, 2005, 1:08 pm
Yes... now why did you quote me?

Keron Cyst
April 26, 2005, 3:22 pm
I did that to show that you could simply wall a map in all around instead of having it as a checkbox feature for the map editor, which is what you appeared to insinuate to...

zyxstand
April 26, 2005, 11:14 pm
i think thats what he meant too....but anyways - "pacman maps" don't work because they aint side scrolly.......well, you kenw that - this would be a great add-on fo sho!