( search forums )
Roman Coliseum
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
Deleted User
March 26, 2005, 5:13 am
I was thinking it would be cool to have a map based on a Roman Coliseum like theres a middle part where the main fighters go and fight and the other people would be up top like throwing stuff at them and throwing weapons at them so they can use them or throw weapons at them to try to kill the opposing player

ex: the blue team sends in Player A and the red team sends in Player B. both player A&B dont have weapons. Either teams can throw the weapons provided into the pit which the players fight in. Also either team can throw weapons such as the knife and nade at the opposing play trying to kill him. then the winning player lets say its A gets to choose to walk out or continue fighting. either way hes a hero.

also you have health packs and pick ups such as berserk on the top part where the teams sit and the teams can shoot the health and pick up boxes down to their player. i think it would be cool and i think it would be a great idea but thats just me being bias.

lets see your opinion

vash763
March 26, 2005, 7:45 am
good idea if you could get the rules to work out right

Deleted User
March 26, 2005, 9:14 am
it would be more like people participating correctly such as Zombies in Halo 2

Norse
March 26, 2005, 7:38 pm
I think your idea could work...it has the potential for a new gametype (maybe not a ver 1.2.2 addition potential, but enough to get new players to play something new) This idea kind of sounds like Leo de Lunderfox's idea about his ctf_Gettysburg map where the enemy attacks the hill from the sides, when your on top defending the fort before they get your flags and the game restarts.

Before you make a gametype like this, you must work out some sure-proof rules, that are easy to follow, and that make the game enjoyable and long-lasting. If it were me, I wouldn't want to be a citizen throwing things down on the arena floor at the gladiators. Just me though, Im sure others would like doing that, but I like action.

Deleted User
March 27, 2005, 1:27 am
ummmmm are there any apps that could help me make a gametype or would i just type out the rules and crap then post them on here?

Lt. Sneezy
March 27, 2005, 1:48 am
I agree with Norse, could be cool, but maybe make it random who goes into 'the pit', that way everyone can take part in the action.

Norse
March 27, 2005, 3:09 am
@'Achilles: Make the rules and crap and then post them here would be fine.

@ Sneezy: I wonder if it could be random like you say it should. I know its not possible...but maybe after one person dies they are traded with another person, so everyone gets the playing time like you said. You could always take a chance and see what could happen...

Actually...hang on here's a new idea:

1) Players spawn in arena (see setup below)

[IMAGE]

2) After players spawn and die, so long as you have more crowd spawns then arena spawns (for ex. 8 crowd spawns; 2 arena spawns) your chances of spawning twice in the arena would be slim..but it could happen. This way everyone can rotate evenly! I think I may have found a loophole here! Though its required that you get A LOT of people to play in a game.

Deleted User
March 27, 2005, 5:46 am
yea i like your idea
ill try to make a concept map of the coliseum and maybe someone can follow through with it

Norse
March 27, 2005, 6:11 am
Sounds like a plan. I can find you scenery if need be. I think I have the perfect background pic of arena stands far away to represent the depth of the arena your fighting in. So you fight in the foreground with the stands there...and the background is like making the arena 3d, but cutting it in half so its flat where you actually fight, then goes back into the background where the arena ends (somehwhere) behind the player. That way you get the feel that your in an arena. Sound ok?

Deleted User
March 27, 2005, 7:23 am
yea that sounds cool but would i have to shade it? cause im not that good at maknig maps i mean they are alright but my maps arent the best.im jsut the muse but ill try.

Deleted User
March 27, 2005, 9:44 am
i'm not either the best..but i can help u shade it..its good training :D

Norse
March 27, 2005, 4:06 pm
Yeah, I'm volunteering to help with shading if you need it. It's not so hard to shade...just takes time, and a clear logic of where the sun hits where etc.

Deleted User
March 27, 2005, 6:06 pm
yea...but Woha LOl! i succsed messing it realy up when i used the orginal shading thing (Not by hand)

and haha..it went so wrong i had to cut of a bit of the map and rebuild it...But after all i'm veery happy with my newest map..it isn't so big and its looks really good for some Dm matches for..up to 7 players

Deleted User
March 28, 2005, 4:40 am
its a Coliseum map right?

i havent even started the map i have a couple other stuff to do before the map such as clan crap and modding

ImmortalAlien
March 28, 2005, 6:20 am
Sounds like a good idea. The map maker doesn't allow scripting, so I can't make it exactly like you want it to be. But, I may try.

Deleted User
March 28, 2005, 6:24 am
thanx man i would do it my self but im swamped

Deleted User
March 28, 2005, 8:33 am
Hmm..acctuly ..Alien are u good map making??? i can also help
//Ok enough..i saw one of your maps...Hey i can make the map! i got texture and scenery ready

Deleted User
March 30, 2005, 4:35 am
So whats the progress on the map?

Norse
March 30, 2005, 4:49 am
Right now I think there is no *sure* mapper that wants to take on the challenge. Everyone's making their own ideas and then puttin them here. We probably should vote for who's looks the best, and get points and grades! Mine is in the works...(this is the part when you look at the screen!)

Overview of work in progress:
[IMAGE]

Oh btw. I also found something else. If there were more stands then there would be chances that eventually no one would die in the stands and everyone except one person in the arena would die, leaving everyone in the stands watching one person. To prevent this, use hurt poly's for the stands, so wherever you go in the stands (since thats the only place spectators can go) they would eventually die, and possibly, have a chance to spawn in the arena if a space hasnt been taken. Wait...i forgot that more than one person can spawn through the same spawn point.What I just said was an idea, but now I find myself in another hole...Damn...

Deleted User
March 30, 2005, 6:31 am
ok well i like your model things to know:
-no jets
-make the arena floor low enough that they cant get out up to the stands
-dont make any pickups appear in the arena only in the stands

i like the tunnel entrance but make it so they cant meet in the middle they can only meet above the platform (is it going to be liek the one in Mr. Snowman?).make the stands a little higher and put a back on them. maybe add little obsticles in the arena like ice and lava?

the Gladiator thing i get. maybe tigers can run out of some wholes and attack you haha jk but that would be cool

vash763
March 30, 2005, 7:44 am
you should put it on advancedmode when you play, so that the winners that die after awhile get weapswhen they spwn in the stands, to throw them. And you should add only player collide walls (between the stands and arena floor. Although players do collide,nothing else does. Bullets Flags or Powerup. that way they are easier to kick down w/out the people in the stands falling in.

Deleted User
March 30, 2005, 5:27 pm
well that would be the servers creators choice we cant really force that upon them
Or can we *dun dun dun*

Norse
March 30, 2005, 8:31 pm
Hm...i come to like this more and more each day. I'll work on those things, Achilles. Maybe not make a tunnel beneath though? Snce my first intent was using powerups and placing them down their where you could run before you fight to get them. Probably will just have the arena floor and the stands, with powerups there.

Deleted User
March 30, 2005, 10:53 pm
haha that sounds too much like dodgeball