- added experimental ASE support for Windows server
- fixed Logging=0
- fixed admin IP display

Deleted User
March 26, 2005, 2:09 pm
Very nice work, no errors as of yet =D

MercyM
March 26, 2005, 3:31 pm
Hurraa again! Now I can make my server dedicated.

grand_diablo
March 26, 2005, 10:33 pm
any reports bout the experimental ASE report for windows yet?
Does it work? Any errors?

Yet, i gotta wait until the webinterface of my hoster supports the new command line options :o

AWH_ReApEr
March 27, 2005, 12:08 am
My server wont run now...

It looks to be running fine in my SSH client, but it's not registering in the lobby and you can't join it through typing the IP manually. I don't know what's wrong, but I need to get this fixed fast.

[EDIT]
Nevermind, I found out my host was attacked by hackers. =/
{/EDIT]

Deleted User
March 27, 2005, 1:02 am
If I add 10 boogie men, and kick 1, the whole lot get kicked >_>

Deleted User
March 27, 2005, 1:21 am
quote:Originally posted by EnEsCeIf I add 10 boogie men, and kick 1, the whole lot get kicked >_>

thats why you should kick using the number ;o...

Deleted User
March 27, 2005, 3:33 am
haha EnEsCe thats always been the case, do as Poop said.

Great work Michal, thanks so much, will put into personal testing now, comercial testing on Tuesday (shut for Easter)

Cheers for the quick response :)

PureGrain
March 27, 2005, 3:57 am
Up and running, will report any errors.

Deleted User
March 27, 2005, 3:57 am
The query appears to be fixed for windows.

Thanks for your update Michal

Commoner
March 27, 2005, 9:04 am
I seem to be having trouble getting the ASE query to work with qstat with Dedicated Server 2.2.8. I'm trying to use qstat to query the default ASE port of 23196 but I always get a Segmentation Fault. I've set my ASE_Register=1 and even though it says that it is Registering Server @ ASE, qstat always gets this error. The strange thing is that ASE client itself seems to list the server just fine. I'm not sure if this is an issue with qstat or not but one thing is for sure qstat works fine with the dedicated server that comes with the 1.2.1 client. Anybody got any ideas?

Commoner
March 27, 2005, 1:25 pm
I forgot to mention that I am currently using the latest version of Qstat which is 2.7 compiled and run under a Debian Linux machine.

Denacke
March 27, 2005, 1:28 pm
Commoner:
quote:- added experimental ASE support for Windows server

Also, use the edit button to edit your post, you will get shot for double posting ([IMAGE]).

MercyM
March 27, 2005, 2:40 pm
quote:- added experimental ASE support for Windows server
Yay!

Commoner
March 28, 2005, 5:18 am
I discussed the issue of QStat having problems with Soldat 2.2.8 Dedicated Server All Seeing Eye query on the QStat mailing list. I'm glad to report that the issue has been resolved in the latest CVS release. It was apparently just a problem with Qstat mishandling packets of a certain length when dealing with ASE queries.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case someone else might interested in querying Soldat Dedicated Servers with Qstat.

Many thanks to Michal for supporting ASE queries for Soldat 2.2.8 Windows Dedicated Server.

rivmin
March 28, 2005, 8:57 am
quote:Originally posted by Commoner

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case someone else might interested in querying Soldat Dedicated Servers with Qstat.

I want that :)
How did you cvs ?
And what's the line to query soldat-servers in qstat ?

TIA.

Commoner
March 29, 2005, 2:44 pm
The qstat CVS is available at sourceforge.

rivmin
March 29, 2005, 9:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by CommonerThe qstat CVS is available at sourceforge.

Yep - but compiling on FreeBSD is not error-free.
And I also have to wait untill the *nix-Soldat-server will support ASE/qstat anyway.

Futile
April 2, 2005, 2:25 am
My server keeps suspecting I'm cheating on her. I'm not doing anyting spectacular or anything, it just pops up every now and then (I even stood completely still once, and got the "detected possible cheat").

I suppose it has something to do with me being in the same LAN as the server? (pings jump between 0 and 16.)

Futile
April 3, 2005, 10:21 am
Things are getting out of hand. She's threatening to leave me if I don't shape up, but I've never done anything wrong! She kicks me out every night, and lots of my friends too. -_-

How about giving us the option to turn automatic cheat detection off? 'cause seriosly, 99% of all detections are wrong. It annoys the hell out of players and admins alike.

Michal Marcinkowski
April 3, 2005, 11:21 am
Maybe the timing is somehow wrong and it detects the speed hack. Is it a linux server?

Deleted User
April 3, 2005, 11:25 am
also when you type /adminpass <newpass> it only changes ingame admin pass...

FliesLikeABrick
April 3, 2005, 7:01 pm
and when you type /password <newpass> it doesnt update it in soldat.ini, you lose the new password after the server goes down.

Futile
April 3, 2005, 7:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiMaybe the timing is somehow wrong and it detects the speed hack. Is it a linux server?

Nah, it's windoze.

No offense, but it would be nice to shut the auto detection off, cause it's crap and I for one do not see the use of it. People can votekick cheaters if they want them gone.

Besides, I would like to put an all-hacks server up, to play with friends, with infinite ammo/jetpack/enormous kickback etc etc.

hock3y
April 5, 2005, 2:38 am
quote:Originally posted by Futilequote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiMaybe the timing is somehow wrong and it detects the speed hack. Is it a linux server?

Nah, it's windoze.

No offense, but it would be nice to shut the auto detection off, cause it's crap and I for one do not see the use of it. People can votekick cheaters if they want them gone.

Besides, I would like to put an all-hacks server up, to play with friends, with infinite ammo/jetpack/enormous kickback etc etc.

Think of all the people that would abuse it though...

Futile
April 5, 2005, 9:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by hock3yquote:Originally posted by Futilequote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiMaybe the timing is somehow wrong and it detects the speed hack. Is it a linux server?

Nah, it's windoze.

Abuse the lack of auto-detection? That's no change from today. I have met a bunch of cheaters so far that wasn't detected. The detection is useless for three reason:

1. error rate is unacceptable high (detecting innocent players)
2. people still have to vote manually
3. detection is flawed, since it doesn't detect all cheats.

It also takes away "power" from the admin that they deserve to have. The admin of a server should be allowed to choose wether or not he want players (seemingly) randomly kicked.

hock3y
April 12, 2005, 4:35 pm
quote:Originally posted by Futilequote:Originally posted by hock3yquote:Originally posted by Futilequote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiMaybe the timing is somehow wrong and it detects the speed hack. Is it a linux server?

Nah, it's windoze.

Abuse the lack of auto-detection? That's no change from today. I have met a bunch of cheaters so far that wasn't detected. The detection is useless for three reason:

It also takes away "power" from the admin that they deserve to have. The admin of a server should be allowed to choose wether or not he want players (seemingly) randomly kicked.

That is true, but I don't really see an overload of cheating protection vote kicks on my server anymore like I used to, although it does kick people randomly for cheating (I think its like a 1 hour ban?) once in a while, so I see your point.

hock3y
April 12, 2005, 4:41 pm
quote:

[/quote]

That is true, but I don't really see an overload of cheating protection vote kicks on my server anymore like I used to, although it does kick people randomly for cheating (I think its like a 1 hour ban?) once in a while, so I see your point.
--------

Edit: Michal I still get the error when switching to a custom map (the windows error =p), any news on what may be causing that?

In the event viewer I get these two messages if they help at all..

[code]Faulting application soldatserver.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001eb33.
[/code]

[code]
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 73 6f 6c ure sol
0018: 64 61 74 73 65 72 76 65 datserve
0020: 72 2e 65 78 65 20 30 2e r.exe 0.
0028: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 0.0.0 in
0030: 20 6b 65 72 6e 65 6c 33 kernel3
0038: 32 2e 64 6c 6c 20 35 2e 2.dll 5.
0040: 31 2e 32 36 30 30 2e 32 1.2600.2
0048: 31 38 30 20 61 74 20 6f 180 at o
0050: 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 ffset 00
0058: 30 31 65 62 33 33 0d 0a 01eb33..[/code]

KeYDoN
April 19, 2005, 8:15 pm
hey michal
could you implement a possibility to send servermessages only to one player?
this would be very nice
=)

Michal Marcinkowski
April 21, 2005, 12:54 pm
hock3y: it's hard for me to test it if I can't produce the error,does anyone have anything similar?

>>servermessages only to one player?
I can, but I don't know when.

hock3y
April 21, 2005, 10:38 pm
For some reason I haven't gotten the error in three days. Also it wasn't the XP SP 2 error with too many connections, I check my event log and have never gotten that error. I'll let you know if it continues to work. Michal to recreate the error try setting up a server going from a default to custom to default to custom map and maybe you will get it? Also I have at least 5 players in my server when this happens. Maybe it happens becuase I am using bots. I'm not sure just trying to give some ideas...

Deleted User
April 23, 2005, 7:27 am
Im not 100% sure of the problem you are describing here, but i think i may be experiencing the same issues, or at least ones related to the same problem.

On the servers i admin, we occasionally get people detected as cheating and then vote kicked because of it. Sometimes people even get server auto kicked and banned for detected cheating. On one occasion, serveral people all got detected of cheating at once. I know for a fact they weren't cheating because i was one of them. This is a serious problem and needs to be addressed, because i am quite often getting requests to unban people when they were cheat kicked, even though they were not cheating.

Another issue that i have seen in the last day or 2 is related to non standard maps. When the server changes to a non standard map, which most players don't have, all the players are forced to leave the server, to download the map, the players left in the server who do have the map already, then have connection problems. It appears the server has crashed due to the large number of people needing the map. The server doesn't seem to crash when only 1 or 2 people need the map, but when many people, like a full 16 player server, need the map, the server crashes. Is this a known issue, or is it something our end?

FliesLikeABrick
April 23, 2005, 4:58 pm
Silent, are you sure that those servers are running the newest version of the dedicated server? I'm pretty sure all of the auto-kicking stuff has been removed from the past couple versions

hock3y
April 23, 2005, 5:15 pm
quote:Originally posted by Silent_AssassinIm not 100% sure of the problem you are describing here, but i think i may be experiencing the same issues, or at least ones related to the same problem.

On the servers i admin, we occasionally get people detected as cheating and then vote kicked because of it. Sometimes people even get server auto kicked and banned for detected cheating. On one occasion, serveral people all got detected of cheating at once. I know for a fact they weren't cheating because i was one of them. This is a serious problem and needs to be addressed, because i am quite often getting requests to unban people when they were cheat kicked, even though they were not cheating.

Another issue that i have seen in the last day or 2 is related to non standard maps. When the server changes to a non standard map, which most players don't have, all the players are forced to leave the server, to download the map, the players left in the server who do have the map already, then have connection problems. It appears the server has crashed due to the large number of people needing the map. The server doesn't seem to crash when only 1 or 2 people need the map, but when many people, like a full 16 player server, need the map, the server crashes. Is this a known issue, or is it something our end?

That last paragraph, that is EXACTLY what happens to me! I was looking through the logs the other day, and I have another idea Michal, does it have to with the TCP/IP File Server disconnected message after every file is sent, do you think maybe its disconnected too soon, or not opened fast enough when there are too many people? I'm still just throwing ideas out. Read my last post too.

KeYDoN
April 23, 2005, 7:58 pm
is there a posibillity to find out the playernumber, by using the soldatadmin? if not it would be nice to be implemented too :)

hock3y
April 23, 2005, 8:05 pm
In the soldatadmin program just scroll to the right in the box lisiting the players, it will show each and player and their number. If you want to figure out the total its the highest number you see I think.

KeYDoN
April 23, 2005, 8:48 pm
ahhhhhh scrollin, thx =)

Michal Marcinkowski
April 26, 2005, 9:23 pm
I don't know why Windows doesn't allow so many connections. I'll try to work around it and have only 1-2 people download the map at a time. But it will slow things down for players, damn...

Did you try tweaking the Windows registry value?
TcpNumConnections
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Futile
April 26, 2005, 11:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiI don't know why Windows doesn't allow so many connections.
[...]

Talk to the guys behind Azeures or some other bittorrent client. They seem to have overcome this obstacle.

hock3y
April 27, 2005, 12:24 am
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiI don't know why Windows doesn't allow so many connections. I'll try to work around it and have only 1-2 people download the map at a time. But it will slow things down for players, damn...

Did you try tweaking the Windows registry value?
TcpNumConnections
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Yes, I looked into that and there is a patch for it. It's not that problem, because it said to look in your event viewer for the log that says too many incoming connections, and I only had that one time. Whenever I looked into the log viewer it's just an application error for soldatserver.exe ... and it gives that code I posted before. Maybe it has something to do with max connections, but not with that registry value, I already checked that out when someone posted it in an old server thread.

Deleted User
April 28, 2005, 4:18 am
Yea seems to be the same for our servers, we are certainly NOT operating with any limit on connections. It just seems to be that soldatserver.exe looses what its doing and crashes.

And as for are we running the new server version, i dam well hope so :P, and considering it appears in ASE i would say yes we are.

FliesLikeABrick
April 28, 2005, 4:26 am
yes, and the windows limit on connections is only for un-established connections. service pack 2 caps this number at 10. the number of established connections is much higher, default at 255 i believe. I believe this should not be a windows-related limitation

hock3y
April 29, 2005, 12:01 am
quote:Originally posted by Silent_AssassinYea seems to be the same for our servers, we are certainly NOT operating with any limit on connections. It just seems to be that soldatserver.exe looses what its doing and crashes.

And as for are we running the new server version, i dam well hope so :P, and considering it appears in ASE i would say yes we are.

Yes I'm running 2.2.8, we are replying here :P like you said.

Deleted User
May 1, 2005, 8:46 am
Just a small addition to the incorrect cheat detection issue.

It has been getting worse lately, where people are being vote kicked every day because Soldat thinks they are cheating, when they are not, but everyone still votes anyway and they get banned.

This needs to be resolved ASAP Michal if you have time.

Deleted User
May 1, 2005, 8:49 am
The whole 'start a vote if the game *thinks* they are cheating' is stupid.

Either detect them correctly and ban them, or dont detect anything at all.

Deleted User
May 1, 2005, 12:33 pm
Agreed plas

Soldat does itself ban people if they are hacking extemely badly, like speed hacking so they can move the speed of light, but it seems the method of hack detection is not working for most, because it detects hackers who aren't hacking, and doesn't itself ban people who are slightly hacking.

On that note Michal, or anyone else, is there any way of disabling Soldat's own hack vote system, as a temporary measure before Michal can fix it? I know you can disable voting having an effect, but then if a real hacker comes in, players can't do anything about it.

hock3y
May 5, 2005, 9:58 pm
Any news on a fix for the map change thing?

KeYDoN
May 25, 2005, 3:15 pm
Can it be that the "Access Violation"-Error depands on the Server?
Cause on our server we nearly all get these errors at the same time, and on our server unusualy often :/

Michal Marcinkowski
May 25, 2005, 8:19 pm
>> Any news on a fix for the map change thing?
I can't think of a way to fix it. I still don't know how to throttle the map download so there aren't so many connections. I';; look into it....