( search forums )
very strange lobby activity
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Aahz
March 26, 2005, 6:11 pm
Alright, here's the gist.

I have a: 1.6 centrino, 512DDR ram, 64MB Intel 855 GME graphics controller laptop.
My connection is: 2.0 mbit line in Austria, Salzburg, used by around 40-50 people, most of the time just 10-20. The connection has no direct ip, it protected by a hardware firewall, a NAT and a ISP proxy server.

You would THINK I wouldn't be able to play Soldat with all that crap on the connection, but I CAN. Here's the thing though:
a)First time when I installed soldat(about 4 days ago), I played for around 6 hours, anywhere from 10.00 am to 16.00 pm.
b)The next day I couldn't connect to the lobby for the whole day. Only at around 23.30 I was able to connect and play as normal.
c)Same thing happened on the third day. Can't play during the day (can't even connect to private servers), but after roughly 23.00 (sometimes an hour later, other times an hour earlier) Soldat connects to the lobby and plays very well (ping of 20 to 40 ms).

I know we aren't supposed to post about the lobby being down, or how to get through a firewall etc, it's just that this is a VERY strange behaviour, and not being especially adept at Internet protocols and etc(I have a general idea of how it all works, but not very deep), I was wondering if anyone could offer an explanation why the game works this way for me?

Note that the firewall, nat and proxy are turned on 24/7, it's not like they're turned off after 23.00.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and maybe suggestions how to make soldat work all the time?(No port forwarding and all of this, I don't have access to the firewall and the nat, moreover the proxy, which is at the isp).

damnnation
March 26, 2005, 8:42 pm
hmmmaybe MM was doing something with the lobby...

Aahz
March 27, 2005, 1:26 am
No, that is ruled out. I asked several other people and they were able to connect and play. Right now it's 3.25 a.m. here and I can game just fine.....grrr.