( search forums )
Shading issues
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
The Geologist
March 27, 2005, 3:02 am
Lately I've been experimenting for new methods to shade things. Ways to really make things look better. Some people think my current mants are aptly shaded, while others say I need some work, so I'm here to address the forum public and ask for some comments. Here's a pic representing a recent creation (simply poly) that I've tried to create in a "newer" shading style - something smooth and somewhat 3-D, with good lighting, etc.

Screenie 1

While I realize the colors may look bad (tinkering with those too), it's the shading and poly placement that I'm having troubles with. Ant comments or suggestions, maybe tips that work for people? I don't need links to tutorials...

Vijchtidoodah
March 27, 2005, 3:05 am
Try messing around with the amount of stretching on the texture. By the way, this isn't new at all, look at Aquarius' maps.

The Geologist
March 27, 2005, 4:09 am
I meant newer in terms of what I had done...not what Aqua had done. There are only so many ways to shade on here. Besides...where do you have these maps, because the one map I found a topic for didn't show me much. The other topic had no working pic or download..

The streaching suggestion is good though..givin' me a few ideas. Thanks.

_Mancer_
March 27, 2005, 4:36 am
The problem is that you blend too much. I once recalled a map where the shading was so 3d like that it even tricked my eyes.

Putting dark polygons to light polygons to emphasize corners and edges really makes it come alive.

The Geologist
March 27, 2005, 4:52 am
Yea...did that in part of the picture up there, just not a lot. I made a few new polys with streaching and some more color contrast..I'll just hafta keep tinkering. Thanks though.

Lt. Sneezy
March 27, 2005, 5:20 am
Looks really good. Then again, I thought it looked good before.

Vijchtidoodah
March 27, 2005, 5:30 am
Mmm...ctf_rainbow <3

(Hey, is that pop up java window for hyperlinks new, or have I just never used it before.)

The Geologist
March 27, 2005, 11:15 pm
Those are some sexy maps...wish I could make the pics larger without makin' 'em so pixelated and blocky. Are there any working downloads for those?

Anyhoo...been tinkering around. Came up with this. Not much, but I might make a sort of shading test DM style map out of it, with low/no jets. More soon to come, just messing around with contrasts/textures.

Vijchtidoodah
March 27, 2005, 11:23 pm
Ooh, nice...if you ever need someone to collaborate with just PM me.

[IMAGE]

Ahh...there.

Elemental
March 27, 2005, 11:59 pm
Oh man, I played that map before..its awesome!! and pretty :D

peemonkey
March 28, 2005, 12:58 am
i like your normal style of shading. this way you're going down looks too much like M&M's

Michal
March 28, 2005, 2:17 am
Wow Aquarius' maps are freakin awesome O_O

MercyM
March 28, 2005, 1:09 pm
He's the best mapper. ;]

The Geologist
March 28, 2005, 4:08 pm
Thanks for posting useless bs in my topic that has nothing to do with the subject. Next time, save it for the lounge.

chakapoko maker
March 29, 2005, 3:00 pm
short
get LH-maps-pack or others' maps and shade/light them to know a good shape and bad shape as a shading test or practice. i think it'd be good of shading somewhat.

long
if there's an objective image to make, polygons of the part will need a particular composition. it wouldn't be only one and there'd be some ways for that. if not, shading is not so difficult. put a polygon and darken the lower edge and it looks shaded in its own way. but this is the base of shading i think. coloring is different from shading to me and i give priority to shading thing, not to coloring. no color doesn't mean that a polygon has no color/white/black because a map has a texture and it rules its polygons by itself. so it's not much bad when there's not a color if shading is done. no shade/light looks all plain and raw like colored paper cut.

at the start, i hadn't been used the shading function and i used to give them light and color with Meitzi's editpro, because it can choose any points and handle them. it also does a layer easily. but i think the way is not good at this time. it's given to putting a poly without the acquisition of a pattern by the handy and strict functions. appearances obey an arrangement of poly. so it'd be necessary after the tutorials and it will be a help to appercieve how to make something to make.

okay, shading needs a pattern to me. about the parameters of light, i see a thing and its shadow together/relatively, and copy the value in clipboard inside. then paste 'em into the edge. it works for me.