( search forums )
The other duel idea:
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
FliesLikeABrick
March 27, 2005, 11:52 pm
I originally posted this in the other thread about duels, but i wanted it to be somewhere where it could get its own comments

i think it would be kinda neat if it ran similar to how tribes runs duels (this is the ONLY time you will ever hear me compare a soldat idea to another game)

tribes servers have the option of running a duel mod, and it works like this:

people join a server and are put into observer mode. people hit a button (in soldat f1 would work best) to bring up a player menu. people who are 'in a duel' are disabled and cannot be selected, others can be clicked on and it will send an invitation saying 'Flieslikeabrick has requested a duel... press <f12> to accept the invitation' or f11 to decline. according to what they choose, a duel either begins, or a message is sent to the instigator notifying him of the declined request.

When a duel happens, it is kinda cool:
you duel on a map with everyone else that is currently dueling, but you cant hurt anyone else and there is an indicator above your opponents head. The duel ends when someone dies, and a message comes up asking if you would liked to duel that person again. if both choose yes, then a duel begins again.

scoring is simple, it keeps track of wins and losses in the player/score console (f1 menu thing)

i think a feature like this would be awesome in soldat. it preserves the soldat gameplay style but is a more official, organized way to duel someone. please post your feedback on this idea, as i dont have good ideas very often.

MercyM
March 28, 2005, 1:26 pm
Yes, I love duels, and this could be easy to do? O.o

papasurf31
March 28, 2005, 3:09 pm
Mo, this would not be an easy thing to accomplish. I do like the idea though. Would this apply to only specialized duel servers or can all servers just have spontaneous duels?

FliesLikeABrick
March 28, 2005, 7:42 pm
it would have to be a specific 'duel server'

I don't think it would be /too/ hard to implement.. the means to do so are already there... defining who you can and cant hurt (ff), voting/accepting things (vote kick)... im interested to hear what other people have to say on the idea... ultimately it is michal who decides whether it is feasible or not.... we're just here for the ideas :P

Futile
March 28, 2005, 7:46 pm
A great idea! Coun't me in.

Deleted User
March 28, 2005, 7:50 pm
i kinda like it but idono.......