( search forums )
Animated gif support
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Improvements / Suggestions
Raider
March 31, 2005, 1:18 am
I looked around the forum for a similar topic, so I can at least say I tried..

Anyway, I know that it has been mentioned in the past that Soldat should have animated objects like torches or something, but.. What about have scenery graphics support animated gifs? Just set the transparent colour to the usual yellow and boom.. The advantages of having this feature would be almost unlimited.. Televisions, water, waves, flames, storm effects (such as lightning), blowing trees or leaves.. And just.. Thousands of other possibilities. This could help any mapper make their maps better.

Deleted User
March 31, 2005, 2:26 am
Actually I think this was mentioned pretty recently. It's still a wicked cool idea though.

vash763
March 31, 2005, 6:01 am
ya, i luv this idea though

Gen0cide
March 31, 2005, 6:03 am
Yeah,but think about the lower computer spec. people...
Lag city with all these movies pictures,let alone the soldiers running around and shooting.
It would be awesome,but I'm pretty sure it might create lag/longer loading times..

sbu-spyvin
March 31, 2005, 8:33 am
I made this topic years ago.
And it can't because i think that Michal Marcinkowski sad that he has to pay for that.

Leo Da Lunerfox
March 31, 2005, 1:42 pm
I'll be more then willing to shell out a few bucks in order to get gifs into the game, and I'm sure alot of other people would also.

b00stA
March 31, 2005, 2:51 pm
The license stuff concerning GIFs is history now.

zambo_the_clown
April 1, 2005, 6:38 am
quote:Originally posted by Gen0cideYeah,but think about the lower computer spec. people...
Lag city with all these movies pictures,let alone the soldiers running around and shooting.
It would be awesome,but I'm pretty sure it might create lag/longer loading times..

Dont see how this would lagg any much more cuz like games that have animated affects dont lagg online. Couldnt there be an option on the options menu or config file that would be selectable for the gif support? Maps with gif support would be disabled to play or would have an image in place of that animation.

If it does happen..........hehe then bye bye low spec computer users >:)

UltraMagnus
April 1, 2005, 2:57 pm
to be honest most people who play soldat probabally have good enough computers to handle gifs. unless anyone is playing it on a 486 :D

i like it

Deleted User
April 1, 2005, 3:02 pm
This would be an awesome implement. Airplanes swooping down bombing, tracer bullets flying all over, flak cannons firing into a paratrooper level :)

MercyM
April 1, 2005, 3:29 pm
Yup, would be brilliant!

Deleted User
April 2, 2005, 7:31 am
Yes im all for it. imagin a gif of a soldat soldier with all the noobs shooting at it while you baret them off with ease.....it could happen!

Unlucky 13
April 2, 2005, 9:06 am
quote:Originally posted by zambo_the_clown

Dont see how this would lagg any much more cuz like games that have animated affects dont lagg online. Couldnt there be an option on the options menu or config file that would be selectable for the gif support? Maps with gif support would be disabled to play or would have an image in place of that animation.

If it does happen..........hehe then bye bye low spec computer users >:)

Most likely wouldn't effect low spec. PC's, because its file size that matters, and .gif has.... compression by lowering colours to 256.
Great idea, suggest, but NOT rejected, so YAY!

b00stA
April 2, 2005, 1:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by Unlucky 13
Most likely wouldn't effect low spec. PC's, because its file size that matters, and .gif has.... compression by lowering colours to 256.
Great idea, suggest, but NOT rejected, so YAY!

No, it's not the file size.
In fact the compression results in more CPU time, simply because it IS compressed.
Have you ever visited a page full with animated GIFs using a P3 450mhz? (No, palloco, shush!)

UltraMagnus
April 2, 2005, 7:56 pm
iv dont it with a P MMX and it was fine.....

Liber_Lupus
April 2, 2005, 10:42 pm
I have a p3 500mhz and a 2mb adsl. One of the reason I play Soldat is because it doesnt need a good comp. I have been on a page with full of gifs. OH THE LAG!

Alamo
April 2, 2005, 11:23 pm
I have a P4 2.53Ghz, 1Gig RAM and 2MB ADSL. The reason why I play Soldat is because it rocks!
This idea is brilliant.

Kamikaze_Ninja
April 3, 2005, 9:46 pm
haha wouldn't it be fun to have lil movie screens in maps and have short looping clips running as .gif anims ^-^ or have a fake soldier running on the same spot and ppl would shoot it XD

Unlucky 13
April 4, 2005, 12:47 am
quote:Originally posted by b00stA
No, it's not the file size.
In fact the compression results in more CPU time, simply because it IS compressed.

Wouldn't have to decompress once? Not like... 50 times? So it would slow at the start right?

And yes, I HAVE visited a site full of .gif's on my old K6 II 450mhz, was hellish to start but it got better, if I closed all other windows.

And if it is that bad, you could turn off animation if you needed I guess.

b00stA
April 4, 2005, 9:27 pm
Wouldn't have to decompress once? Not like... 50 times? So it would slow at the start right?
Probably depends on how GIFs are loaded/processed etc. dunno
And yes, I HAVE visited a site full of .gif's on my old K6 II 450mhz, was hellish to start but it got better, if I closed all other windows.
hehe, that's not an excuse ;)
And if it is that bad, you could turn off animation if you needed I guess.
Yep.
Altogether I think something else should be used for animations. Perhaps numbered Bitmaps or something similiar.

Keron Cyst
April 6, 2005, 1:03 am
Is it possible to make a .GIF and then manually rename the filetype to .BMP? :P Will Soldat successfully use it?

BManx2000
April 6, 2005, 2:10 am
No.

Kirby_106
April 6, 2005, 2:29 am
Soldat would be x2 better with this idea

Jamesmax0
May 25, 2005, 2:42 pm
Banana Man doing a dance in the background of the map :P.

Deleted User
May 25, 2005, 4:02 pm
one and a half month old topic.

Keron Cyst
May 30, 2005, 6:56 am
Why .GIFs, tho'? Why not much smaller .PNGs, or some other filetype?...

Deleted User
May 30, 2005, 1:13 pm
why gifs? because u can add better effects or something i think...

a lamp that don't is shining all over, some cables spreading electricity.. things like that would be able...

maybe u can change the scenerys while gameplay... (that is possible) i mean change that what the bmp shows all the time...
stupid idia.. ;)

Keron Cyst
May 30, 2005, 4:03 pm
No, I mean, aren't there other filetypes that have less size than .GIFs (to reduce lag)?

AWH_ReApEr
May 30, 2005, 9:38 pm
Not that support animation. The reason everyone wants GIF support is because you could put animated sceneries in maps. The only other file type that I'm aware of that supports animation is .swf which can only be created in flash programs. Not everyone wants to pay tons of money for a flash program when they can get a free GIF editor.

BManx2000
May 30, 2005, 10:46 pm
It would not be necessary to use .gif for animation, just a plain bitmap sequence will work (it is already implemented with the explosion)

peemonkey
May 31, 2005, 12:34 am
yes, but bitmap sequences would take too much space/be less organized. .png's and .gif's would be really cool ingame. dont know why michal's never responded to topics like these