( search forums )
Quick Commands and Censorship?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Captain Ben
March 31, 2005, 3:14 am
Two quick ideas:
A censor-word option.
I pretty much noticed this in alot of the bigger internet games, that when players type in swear words, it usually comes up with **** or some other word to cover it up. Now I know there's the /mute option, but preferably, I like to talk to other players, not bickering (usually), but just to say 'good shot' etc.
I'd like to see this in Soldat, but not with a word or stars replacing it, but the word gets completely edited out.
For example I might get killed by a camper and type in:
'u [IMAGE]in camper asshole rofl'
Once I press enter, it comes up as:
'u camper rofl'
Another idea I had was that with proper warning, players could get kicke for swearing.
I guess the only setback is players who find ways around this by typing in things like, 'fucckin', $hit, f.uck, intentionally mispelling the words.

Quick Commands
Only yesterday, I was playing a round of
Battlefield 1942: Secret Weapons of WWII, when I noticed command buttons for your soldier.
You could make your soldier say things by pressing F8 and your soldier would scream, 'WE NEED REINFORCEMENTS!!'
Personally, I'd love to see this in Soldat, not as complicated, but for example,if you pressed 6 on the Numpad, your little soldat could scream 'COVER ME!!' to his teammates! But then, there would be players abusing it, so I thought that maybe it could only be used once every thrity seconds or so...

My last idea: Vehicles!!

Just Kidding.

Rhombus
March 31, 2005, 5:53 pm
I think a small stupid sounding word can take over the whole world. If we use that word a lot instead of just swearing (like in habbo hotel u say bobba), if we say that word on other forums and IRC and MSN, ppl will say wtf? And we explain em about soldat. And somebody might say you should learn grammar if it doesnt show up, wich is irritating.

MercyM
March 31, 2005, 6:01 pm
Yeah, censors would be nice, I hate to write /mute.
YES! QUICK COMMANDS! They would be awesome. Just changing the taunts to voice.

Liber_Lupus
March 31, 2005, 6:26 pm
Like you have never seen people swearing. Besides, people would mispell it on purpose.
Don't see any point for voice commands. Only for annoyance.

UltraMagnus
March 31, 2005, 7:33 pm
i kinda like the idea of voice commands, as long as there was like a "3 per minuite" limit to stop noobs repeatedly hitting the button

and as for censoring words, i would be good as a server option, but i dont see why, anyone not mature enough to tolerate that languige shouldnt really be playing soldat....

however a variation of that idea would be the hoast setting certain words that would trigger anyone saying them to be kicked ie barretard

Deleted User
March 31, 2005, 9:23 pm
if they swear to much just kik them and the quick commands idea i like

Deleted User
April 1, 2005, 12:18 am
As far as the automatic commands, they are already there. It's either ctrl or alt (Can't remember which, don't feel like finding out) along with letters. They are preset but can be changed in the soldat file under my computer.

Jaz
April 1, 2005, 12:31 am
dont be such a homosexual

Deleted User
April 1, 2005, 12:57 am
quote:Originally posted by Jazdont be such a homosexual
Are you talking to me?

Captain Ben
April 1, 2005, 7:47 am
Yes. Yes he is.
I know most of you don't really care about the swearing and I don't either. The thing is, other people do care.
I've seen players on servers say 'oh [IMAGE] rofl' and get permanetly banned of servers. It doesn't really phase me, I just though it would be cool to see.
And what is 'Habbo'?

MOFO NOFO
April 1, 2005, 8:10 am
cencership option availiable?

when in doubt, send to realistic mode :/

Captain Ben
April 1, 2005, 8:15 am
That's the spirit!!
Yeah, it probably would have to be an option.

Deleted User
April 1, 2005, 8:37 am
i got it, everytime you swear it goes ZORT instead. what in Zort name is ZORTING soldier doin in this Zorting server. somthing ike that

lastpatriot
April 1, 2005, 11:57 am
What the FRUIT are you doing, you stupid ICE CREAM CONE? Nothing, PIZZA SLICE. What?

MercyM
April 1, 2005, 12:43 pm
Stop that, you friggin' CANDY BAR! That isn't HUGGING funny at all. :O

Harwin
April 4, 2005, 1:46 am
Darn, since when did you get polite when killing people? :P

Its a war game, not a 70 year old party.

Bring the swearing on. (h)

BManx2000
April 4, 2005, 1:56 am
If the censorship thing gets implemented, there should be a text file with a list of words to censor in it.

Jap_man
April 4, 2005, 2:21 am
I doubt censorship will work very well, people will find ways to get around the swearing filter (for example the soldat forums).
But if this censorship idea DOES get implemented, it should be a server option that can be turned on and off.

reckon
April 4, 2005, 2:40 am
quote:Originally posted by Captain BenYes. Yes he is.
I know most of you don't really care about the swearing and I don't either. The thing is, other people do care.
I've seen players on servers say 'oh [IMAGE] rofl' and get permanetly banned of servers. It doesn't really phase me, I just though it would be cool to see.
And what is 'Habbo'?

Habbo is from Habbo Hotel.
When a swear word is used, habbo is used in its place.
Oh and it was fun playing with you today Cap'n Ben.

Captain Ben
April 4, 2005, 3:14 am
It was actually. I like your 1337 shotgun skills...So much for that Ocelot guy :P
Anyway, so in Habbo Hotel, do they use 'bobba' to cover swear words, because that's exactly what I mean. Do the Australian servers look a bit deserted to you?

Michal
April 4, 2005, 4:18 am
I personally don't care about swearing, so I think the best way to implement a censor feature would be to have a text file in the soldat directory which you would input a swear word and then put in which word should replace it.
It could be the plain **** or *censored*, or with some creativity there could be some quite funny results...

This way, people who want censorship can have it, and those who don't want it don't have to.

Deleted User
April 4, 2005, 2:22 pm
I like both ideas ...

DT
April 4, 2005, 4:10 pm
stars are good but we got the taunts for the quick command... don't be lazy and set em

MercyM
April 4, 2005, 4:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by Captain Ben
Anyway, so in Habbo Hotel, do they use 'bobba' to cover swear words, because that's exactly what I mean.
"höpö" in Finnish... :P

Deleted User
April 10, 2005, 1:03 am
and perkele

anyway, voice commands would be GREATY. u should have the option to turn it onn and off on the options
but It would be good in serious matches (clanwars etc) to get your point out quickly and so that everyone hear it (not all have the time to throw a peek at the chat bar) and if u press voice command for... cover me it also comes up in writing in the chat bar