( search forums )
(READ ME PLEASE) About reviving old topics...
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
grand_diablo
March 31, 2005, 5:15 pm
Since this has become rather annoying in the last weeks, here is a tiny advice I expect you to read:

One a map thread has reached a certain age (id say not more than 2 weeks on average, means: there was no reply in the thread for 2 weeks or more), please do only post into it, if there is a serious matter (like a huge bug is unfixed, sceneries are missing,...).
If you really want to comment on the map or something similar, use the PM feature of these forums please.

If a thread gets even "ancient" (1 month +), don't revive it for any reason. After such a long time of being untouched, there will most likely be no more map update, and if you still think its important to mention something on the map, do it via PM then.

I do not want to lock new maps threads after some time, because it makes things complicated if there is a map update by the author after a longer time.

Thanks for your attention.

Sincerely,
your mapping moderator

MercyM
March 31, 2005, 5:31 pm
Yeah, I had to say this to all the topics... Newbs... :|

The Geologist
March 31, 2005, 5:49 pm
Isn't it funny to watch the pot call the kettle black... ^^

GluLm
March 31, 2005, 9:33 pm
Hurray for moderation!
Keep the dirty people out!

Skate4Razors
March 31, 2005, 9:54 pm
This is great g_d, but I doubt any new forumers are going to read this... :(

Deleted User
March 31, 2005, 11:25 pm
Pfft, few people even read the Help forum rules. It's getting to the point where if a topic doesn't at least fit one standard of the rules.. I may just start deleting them. =\

Darkspirit
April 4, 2005, 12:13 am
Yeah, S4R, its sad :(. Maybe put the topic title with 100000000 colours and ppl will check it :P.

As grand diablo said, don't revive old topics.... If you want recent topics, just put "Show topic from last week (or 2)", it will fix the problem.

GluLm
April 4, 2005, 12:00 pm
Look who's talking.

grand_diablo
April 4, 2005, 1:24 pm
lol, indeed :p

Darkspirit
April 4, 2005, 9:35 pm
Hey dude ur not nice :( . I know, i revived a topic but now i know my mistake and i dont want that ppl make the same mistake. Then plz, SOME RESPECT WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED >:(. I can't hold the fact that moderators and other ppl laugh of visitors like that, if I seen someone on my forum to don't have respect, I've banned it right now.

grand_diablo
April 4, 2005, 9:42 pm
heh, dont take it to serious, it was just a funny coincidence, nothing more, and Ive seen that youre not reviving old topics anymore, which i appreciate ;)

Darkspirit
April 6, 2005, 12:02 am
ok lol. yeah i was a in a bad mood yesterday, it explain why i waz serious, i pardon you :)

Bad new: Only 100 members read this topic for now...

Deleted User
April 30, 2005, 4:12 pm
Sorry sorry sorry ...Im teh damn dumb no0b ...what does it mean that PM???

Do u mean private message ???

grand_diablo
April 30, 2005, 5:08 pm
Indeed. Simply click [IMAGE] on top of a posting of a user you want to PM.

Deleted User
April 30, 2005, 5:51 pm
Okay , thank you , I already do so and im w8-ing on reply ;)

Thanks Grand Diablo.

Hitman
April 30, 2005, 7:18 pm
quote:If a thread gets even "ancient" (1 month +), don't revive it for any reason. After such a long time of being untouched, there will most likely be no more map update.quote:I do not want to lock new maps threads after some time, because it makes things complicated if there is a map update by the author after a longer time.Blatant contradiction right there.

GD, I completely disagree with your 'policy'. To be honest, I think it's a bit retarded; why is it such a crime if someone were to compliment a map maker on his map a couple of weeks after its release? Compliments are always welcome and never too late.

Deleted User
April 30, 2005, 7:48 pm
Please don't struggle :S I don't want be that thing what start u to do it :'(

The Geologist
April 30, 2005, 8:53 pm
Mommy, daddy, don't fight, you're ruining my birthday party.

xXShavoXx
April 30, 2005, 9:31 pm
This is a pretty ridiculous rule. I have updated my older maps before, almost a year after I had released them.. actually, many people did. g_d, I really don't understand the logic behind this at all other than feeling the need to contribute to the long list of rules that PREVIOUS mods have already made. *shrug*

grand_diablo
April 30, 2005, 11:26 pm
The logic is

a) such a rule was "requested" quite often, because many ppl got angry as many old topics were constantly revived.

b) The top of the page should be reserved for new maps (this is what the forum title says, isnt it?) or map updates. If there isnt a new reply in a topic for 2 weeks, it has normally disappeared to page 2 or 3, leaving space for newer maps. The better a map is, the longer it will usually survive "on top" directly after the release. The only reason to revive it then, is to request the fixing of a serious bug or something similar. The forum has a PM feature. Please use it.

c) I have no problems with old topics being revived, if the map creator himself does it to inform people about a map update or similar. In case it was locked cause it has been revived after growing far too old, a simple PM to me is enough and Ill unlock it again so the changes on the map can be announced.

Hitman, there is no blatant contradiction, next time read more carefully please. "Most likely" does not mean that it is for sure. There is still the chance of a map update, even after a longer time, but usually/most likely maps that havent been updated for 2 weeks, 1 month or even more are not improved anymore.

Mapping is an ongoing, evolving process, so its necessary to make sure that the newest maps are on top. Indeed, a compliment is never too late, but you can compliment via PM too, this doesnt dig out old topics.

Hitman
April 30, 2005, 11:48 pm
'Blatant' means obvious, it's got nothing to do with being sure; I found it an obvious contradiction.

I stick with my comment, anything worth a compliment obviously means it's good and by 'bumping' a topic with one will enable people who missed it the first time to see it.quote:the better a map is, the longer it will usually survive "on top" directly after the releaseThat's true, but why kick the slightly older maps out of the 'competition'?

Deleted User
April 30, 2005, 11:52 pm
...Who cares??!

I hate old topics comin up from new members all time!

I CAN'T see any BAD points with these rules..or anything to complain about!

If they made a good map it will go in many servers and so on..and be packed in some mappacks!

and they who made baaaaad maps...well their map we don't need talk about....

//Edit: Hitman...the good older maps are already taking much place on the servers! do they need take the forums too?\
'Capish?

Hitman
May 1, 2005, 12:09 am
Capish? Knob.

Topics are there to be posted in. Compliments and constructive criticism go very well, the latter in particular, with a community. It can be debated amongst fellow members and gives the creator a wider option of improvements. When looking through a forum, whether modifications or maps, I always judge a topic's 'worth of looking at' by the number of posts/pages it has, never mind how old it is.

xXShavoXx
May 1, 2005, 12:22 am
Well said Hitman. And g_d, I have been a member of these boards since 2002, and members here have always complained about the most absurd and illegitimate things (something to keep in mind). The simple fact that an old map is being "bumped" doesn't make it any less relevant. Lots of new people join these boards every day, so if anything, all this does is make those new members aware of a map that they were more than likely UNaware of in the first place. And if everyone already knows of the map, well then, it will find its way back to the abyss from where it came. Get my drift?

grand_diablo
May 1, 2005, 12:24 am
Hitman, im not gonna repeat 75% of my explanations since im not sure if you even read it :/

whatever, it usually goes like this:

1. Map is created and posted by its author
2. Bad maps usually receive replies for max. 2-3 days, then they start "sinking"
average maps gain slightly longer attention
good and very good maps are being replied to for one week or even more - it depends on if there are updates meanwhile too
3. The map spreads to servers, or it doesn't. People stop posting opinions about it, except theyve found a bug or sth. really important and concentrate on newer maps. At this point a map can be only 3 days old (bad/uninteresting ones) or already 2 weeks (good/interesting ones). After another 2 weeks (without reply), the map itself is starting to succeed on servers, or not, yet normally it isnt updated any more. This makes a total map age of 16 days to 3-4 weeks, depending on the reasons ive mentioned before. In the forums, the map has usually slipped to page 2 already and new maps are being rated. After an even longer time (described as "ancient"), the map has either established itself on some publics, or it has failed and gets forgotten, which can also happen to quite original maps.

No need to revive such a topic then, theyve had their start-off. Evolution normally doesnt go backwards too, does it? ;)

EDIT:
shavo, surely they can get aware of maps they havent known before. This doesnt stop them from downloading the map, congratulating the mapper via PM etc., or if the download link is missing, request a reupload by PM (the mapper can update the topic once has done so, so everyone who finds the thread can grab the map).

I dont set up rules because 1 person complains about something, but ppl were digging out old topics mostly for 1 line comments and this hasnt changed a lot with recent topic revivals. This forum is different from the other forums in the Mapping section, the Lounge or the General Discussion board ;)

Hitman
May 1, 2005, 12:55 am
Not all people constantly play online, GD. A lot of people come on to the forums to get maps or mods, and I don't think they want to take their chance on the 250+ servers, each with at least 10 maps in rotation (You do the maths) to automatically download the odd good map. As I said:quote:When looking through a forum, whether modifications or maps, I always judge a topic's 'worth of looking at' by the number of posts/pages it has, never mind how old it is.I can understand people's annoyance at mass posts resurrections (AlexCon, comes to mind) with posts such as 'ya, lol', but I honestly don't understand how people can get annoyed someone posting in a 2 week old topic with a complement; at least it's something positive you grumpy [IMAGE]s!

grand_diablo
May 1, 2005, 1:05 am
good maps usually gain more postings immediately after being released here. so you can still separate them from the rest by their number of replies when browsing through the pages of this forum ;)

I already gave an solution for the problem, when a d/l link is broken after a longer time. If people search for maps, they turn on the forum search, separate the maps by their playmode by using the shortcuts for the gamemodes and browse their results. If they wanna comment on a map, I dont see a problem in PMing the author who will appreciate "private compliments" as much as a public compliment . So, there is no real reason for old topics being digged out except for map updates and d/l link fixes :p

Hitman
May 1, 2005, 1:18 am
Using my logic of:quote:When looking through a forum, whether modifications or maps, I always judge a topic's 'worth of looking at' by the number of posts/pages it has, never mind how old it is.(Which I'm sure most people use)...Often a bumping of a good map/mod topic with a compliment sparks a load of other users who haven't commented on it to do so, thus increasing the size of the topic and it's appeal to those browsing the forums.

Please tell me you now understand.

grand_diablo
May 1, 2005, 1:32 am
I understand the way you understand it :p

but what would this lead to? older, good maps staying on top all the time, somehwat stealing "attention time" for newer ones. Well, and here the TOP MAPs voting comes into play. Those maps stay on top all the time in their own sticky ;)

The Geologist
May 1, 2005, 2:45 am
quote:Originally posted by The GeologistMommy, daddy, don't fight, you're ruining my birthday party.

xXShavoXx
May 1, 2005, 2:58 am
quote:Originally posted by The Geologistquote:Originally posted by The GeologistMommy, daddy, don't fight, you're ruining my birthday party.

Don't really think they're fighting bro. :P

The Geologist
May 1, 2005, 3:32 am
Don't really think I'm serious either. ;D It was meant more in the sense that both of them are argueing reasonable positions, going in circles, and other related ramblology.

Deleted User
May 1, 2005, 8:13 am
Yeah lol! ..they reapet same thing over and over and over....

But i seem to find G_B's rules good and ...i think Hitman is a bit....lazy?!

Hitman
May 1, 2005, 10:30 am

That makes no sense whatsoever.

GD, you still don't get my point. Nevermind.

grand_diablo
May 1, 2005, 1:49 pm
We don't get each other's point I fear, but at least we tried to ;)

Darkspirit
June 4, 2005, 11:59 pm
I'm with G_D, i think that if you want to reply, its better to use PM feature. Old maps got their turn so now it's the turn to new maps to be first in the list.

Deleted User
August 8, 2005, 12:19 am
EDIT:

Thanks for doing that :)

Deleted User
August 8, 2005, 1:10 am
hi, if anyone that uses map maker editor pro can u help me i want to try out my map i made it and stuff i want to play on it how do i. can u answer it plz.

warpo
October 30, 2005, 6:42 am
quote:Originally posted by Skate4RazorsThis is great g_d, but I doubt any new forumers are going to read this... :(

Soulsnipa
December 21, 2005, 6:35 am
what is so bad about old topics being brought up as long as the comment is legit.

grand_diablo
December 21, 2005, 4:35 pm
read my arguments up instead of just reading the thread headline + the following discussion. General advice for all: Accept this rule please, don't start senseless discussions, because it is not going to be removed. Newest maps should be on top for a while, good maps are there for a longer time automatically cause of more replies, this is my policy concerning this.

Soulsnipa
December 21, 2005, 4:52 pm
where is this top maps u discussion topic you speak of and who judges

grand_diablo
December 21, 2005, 11:03 pm
what the heck are you talking about?

the former "Top Maps" thread has nothing to do with this rule. The times it still existed, the "top maps" were elected by a voting. Now, better maps stay on top longer, cause the interest in them lasts longer. That is why there is no need to dig out old topics just cos of a simple comment or missing link. If everyone would dig out old map threads cause of such reasons, new maps (also the better ones) would far sooner disappear to page 2+.

And now, for the sake of it, this thread shall be closed so no senseless debate will go on in here.