( search forums )
inf_FoxCompany
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - Mapping Ideas / Discussions
liquidis x snake
April 4, 2005, 4:07 am
'Tis a World War II map (I'm a sucker for wars).

St. Mere Eglise was an objective for the Allies during the Pre-beach-invasion paratrooper drop on France. A lot of errant drops resulted in troops landing in St. Mere Eglise, as well.

The map is barely done, no scenery placement at all. I am creating "layers", so it looks like you're walking in front of polies as opposed to going through tunnels (with the help of black polies and sceneries).

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on the map. It's going to be extremely long (distance wise), and is going to have the black flag in the middle of the map, while the white all the way at the end (which would be Utah Beach).

Here's some early preview screenshots about the "hills" I was talking about.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

Michal
April 4, 2005, 4:21 am
Looking good so far, I really like the layered effect.
I would only suggest a less saturated, more natural looking sky colour.

Deleted User
April 4, 2005, 4:21 am
That's pretty cool, the finished project will be great.

Deleted User
April 4, 2005, 4:23 am
^^ Agreed, looks nice. Heres a little somthing I'm working on, not to spam your thread :p

[IMAGE]

Deleted User
April 4, 2005, 6:09 am
..Dööhhh....In some way it looks cool..in some way wierdo..but nice

...btw congrats ! u hijacked it! =)

//Nice job snake!\\

DeMonIc
April 4, 2005, 5:56 pm
Mmh.. interesting idea with the layers.. you should do some mapping tutorials LxS :)

liquidis x snake
April 4, 2005, 6:00 pm
I'm lazy as it is, Demonic :P.

I barely had enough will to make a map, let alone write about how I did it ;D

Droopy
April 4, 2005, 9:57 pm
Looks good, BUT I would use a dark green blank scenery file for the hill(i'm guessing it's a hill) background. It'll make it a bit more.. realistic? I dont know the black just makes it too dark.

Other than that, good job! Cant wait to see the scenery job.

liquidis x snake
April 5, 2005, 6:28 am
Yeah, but then a dark green scenery wouldn't match the texture of the polygon, and if I used the texture as a scenery then I would have use a lot more to make it look consistent and not stretched out, where as totally black I can just stretch it for the lengths of the hill.

Good call, though, I would've done it if I had the resources / mapmaker options :P

Deleted User
April 5, 2005, 6:32 am
....Make the hills with polygons..then you just take a screen shot and cut off the ground! and save the hills as an scenery in the scenery file.. voila! u got the hills...! u only need delete the hills on the map and save the ground..and open the mapmaker again and u got the hills scenery!

liquidis x snake
April 5, 2005, 7:42 am
Yeah, I know that trick. I've done it with a couple of other maps.

But see, I want to make both the hills AND the ground walkable. That method is doesn't allow it.

Deleted User
April 5, 2005, 5:27 pm
Easy! u first put the hills scenery..then u place polygonson the scenery where u are supposed to be allowed to walk on and when u're don u delet the scenery and put the same scenerey there again!

liquidis x snake
April 5, 2005, 8:55 pm
Then why have sceneries for it at all :P

I'm going to need those sceneries for all the tree, houses, and sandbags anyways

Norse
April 6, 2005, 12:59 am
Hmm...I wonmder why I never thought of that hill technique...good idea though!

Deleted User
April 6, 2005, 3:56 pm
:P sure thx....

quote:Originally posted by liquidis x snakeThen why have sceneries for it at all :P

I'm going to need those sceneries for all the tree, houses, and sandbags anyways

and yes..we start from the beginning!

it will give u the map look!!!

Deleted User
April 18, 2005, 1:53 pm
Field Marshal BM - That looks kind'a nice..

where can i dl this? HUH?

liquidis x snake
April 18, 2005, 2:44 pm
I've decided to scrap this project.

Most of it is finished, but I figured it wasn't that great of a map in the end. It was too ambitious for the power of Soldat's mapmaker. If you want the map, ask me on MSN and I'll send it over to you and you can do whatever you want to it, so long as I receive some credit for the bulk of the work :P.

Anyway, yeah, this map is dead.

Deleted User
April 18, 2005, 3:49 pm
Oooh, reminds me of the waterfall level (the second one) of contra.

xXShavoXx
April 18, 2005, 3:52 pm
Pfft, you suck at maps ERIC! Asian!! BAHAHAH. I <3 you

STEELIX
April 18, 2005, 5:23 pm
quote:[i]It was too ambitious for the power of Soldat's mapmaker.

I have that problem alot, too... :D

eagleclaw364
April 20, 2005, 8:30 pm
Liquidis, that map looks pretty cool with the layers.
FieldMarshalBM - I WANT THAT MAP!!!! :D

Deleted User
April 20, 2005, 8:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by liquidis x snakeI've decided to scrap this project.

Most of it is finished, but I figured it wasn't that great of a map in the end. It was too ambitious for the power of Soldat's mapmaker. If you want the map, ask me on MSN and I'll send it over to you and you can do whatever you want to it, so long as I receive some credit for the bulk of the work :P.

SRY DUDE! TOO LATE!

eagleclaw364
April 21, 2005, 10:09 pm
Oh right :P I'll read ALL posts next time :)

BUT FIELD MARSHAL!! I WANTS THAT MAPP!!!!!! RAWR

cooz
April 23, 2005, 7:33 pm
neh, it was just wierd, cool looking, tunnel-map anyway...

Cookie`
May 3, 2005, 3:54 am
Lxs let someone finish it for you :P

Deleted User
May 3, 2005, 6:05 am
quote:Originally posted by liquidis x snakeI've decided to scrap this project.

Raptor
May 17, 2005, 6:32 pm
But the map was cool...

Avarax
May 17, 2005, 6:54 pm
omg raptor, stop replying to all threads at a time.
[/offtopic]